Cold bathroom ???.

samboy

Hi gang.

My bathroom is 6ft x 8ft and is a dormer. So there are 3 sides to the elements plus the roof.

The rad is 2ftx2ft and gets very hot but the room is still cold. 

The only place i can put a bigger rad is under the window. 

But i don't really want to do this as i will be left with holes in the wall tiles where the old rad is.

Any idea's chaps ?.

Thanks all.

when i had my wet room put in ...i gave up on rads in bathrooms.......waste of money burning fuel to heat something you dont use most of the day ....so i had them put in a superduper 2 heat wall ,mounted fan blower............

if i was going to bath ...would flick the heater on for one and a half mins and it was up to 80 degs..turn it down to low when i used the shower then off.....best thing i ever did

1 hour ago, fatchap said:

Our Downstairs bathroom is the same, We have a radiator/ towel warmer but its always freezing in there this time of year. Sweltering in the summer though.

And as for the toilet seat. That takes your breath away when you sit on it.

wooden toilet seats are a bit kinder...............always thought about a heated toilet seat for my old age...

Before you tear your house to pieces and spend hundreds of pounds...

Is the existing radiator a single or double panel?  Radiator parlance describes them as 1-1, 2-1 or 2-2, the first number being number of panels and second number how many convectors it's got.  The most efficient design for giving off heat is a 2-2.

So if you've got a piddly little single panel rad on there at the moment you could simply swap it for a double panel of the same width and notice a massive difference.  You'd probably need to have a little extension done to the pipework to account for the connections being further from the wall but your plumber would be able to do that at minimal cost.  Bear in mind also, if you're not restricted by anything above it, you could have a taller radiator and keep the same width to avoid unsightly holes in your tiles.

Heating requirements for a room are worked out in British Thermal Units (BTUs) and any radiator you look at buying will have a BTU rating.  You can workl out how many BTUs a room needs to heat it.  If you use a BTU calculator (link below) as a rough yardstick, you can make your own adjustments according to the situation (external walls as you mention) and see if you can get a double panel that fits where you've got one already to do the job.  It might save a lot of hassle.

https://www.plumbnation.co.uk/heating-calculator/#roomType=bathroom

Edited by Jim Neal

13 hours ago, samboy said:

Hi gang.

My bathroom is 6ft x 8ft and is a dormer. So there are 3 sides to the elements plus the roof.

The rad is 2ftx2ft and gets very hot but the room is still cold. 

The only place i can put a bigger rad is under the window. 

But i don't really want to do this as i will be left with holes in the wall tiles where the old rad is.

Any idea's chaps ?.

Thanks all.

So the over all solutions seem to be 5 options.

1, fit a better radiator of similar width and height.

2, check insulation and fit/upgrade to suit.

3, both of the above.

4, retro fit extra an extra heater.

5, [new option] keep the door closed 🤓

Let us know how you get on 👍

Very roughly, 600mm x 600mm single will give you about 500 - 600 Watts (actual depends on water temp, detailed radiator type etc.)

Same size i  a double convector (e.g with additional fins on the reverse of each section) - about 900 - 1000 Watts.

This will certainly be better, but whether it will be enough I doubt based on my own room - in part because you want the bathroom to heat fairly quickly as it is the first room you use in the day and where you will  most feel the cold - so really you need radiators that are 'oversized' compared to a 'steady state' condition (unless you leave the heating on all the time).

As a guide, my bathroom has a 600 x 600 double convector AND two towel rails, 600 x 1200 giving a total of about 2000 Watts.  The room is about 2m - 3.5m and fairly well insulated (only one short external wall, triple glazed Velux skylight), and benefits from other heating pipes running under it.  It heats quite quickly (nicely warm to about 70 Fahrenheit in about half an hour after heating fires up) - and thermostatic valve on the radiator then shuts it down a bit after the initial warm up.  Towel rails are partly covered by towels, so contribute less to heating the room (but you can't beat a warm towel!).

Edited by JohnfromUK

I like to think of things like this as a business transaction. 
you said you need it warm for a a minimal time everyday and you want it warm quick. 
To me cheapest and quickest option would be to get a fan heater installed. Will heat the room up quickly and has to be the cheapest option compared to extra insulation and such, even with the extortionate cost of electricity. 30p an hour ish to run on full. 7p a day for the time you would need it. £25 odd a year. Compare that to the cost of insulating a dormer 
that or a taller double radiator into the same slot. 

Edited by ph5172

• 2 months later...

Hi gang.

Easiest solution is a double rad being fitted on Saturday. .

Thanks for all replies.