Well, there goes our summer....

Walker570

The flip side of the French not wanting us is that we might want to think twice about going there ourselves. The reports on the low uptake of the vaccine are real, there is concern that trials and approval have been rushed. I don't know about the entire country but in the South around Nice there is a long questionnaire that must be answered before the vaccine is given and you have to hang around for up to two hours to ensure no ill after effects. Very different mindset to hear in the UK...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, JohnfromUK said:

Never did understand the French!

Before I retired we used to dread having to do business with the French ........

They certainly can be special. I have been working for a French "owned" multinational since 2016, thought I knew a thing or two about organisational politics before I joined them but boy has it been an education. We were 45,000 strong globally but got acquired by an even bigger French org recently and now stand at 270,000. 

38 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I'll look it up in a dictionary for you; "absolutely necessary; extremely important"

Yep totally subjective. What’s not important to you might be very important to somebody else. Try looking at at it through their eyes. 

So I have to travel to Germany soon at the request of a client. I feel I could do it remotely, they don’t. Should I go? 

42 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

I can assure you we wont be locked down forever .

What we may end up with is a much younger population in general, which may sound grossly unfair, especially if like me, you are the wrong side of the hill.
From an economic perspective though, its all clover for those left behind !

Blame the bat 😐

Imagine care homes became a thing of the past. 

In 2017 there were noted to be 410,000 elderly living in care homes. 

From my experience in the sector there will be a lot more that the government don’t even know about because they are self funders etc and never went through a local authority. 

That also doesn’t include younger people with complex health needs that are in supported living. 

The number is easily over 500,000 if not significantly more. 

These care home placements range from £500-2500 a week, I’d say £1000 a week is a good average. 

£1,000 x 500,000 = £500,000,000 A WEEK! 

That’s £25,000,000,000 a year?!
Is that £25 billion? 

Once the elderly are pushing into 80 their ‘economic value’ is declining. 

This virus is an evil economists wet dream! 

14 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

Your right it could be subjective bit IMO

Paid to go  =  work  =  possibly essential.

Paying to go  =  not work  =  not essential.

How many of those kids are going to become professional ski instructors?! 

I would bet probably none of them.

Its the same as those “courses” you do in America and Oz where you go to “learn to be a cowboy” and do some ranch work. 

None of them go on to do that sort of work, it’s just a middle class rich kids version of a holiday to do on their gap year.   

5 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Imagine care homes became a thing of the past. 

In 2017 there were noted to be 410,000 elderly living in care homes. 

From my experience in the sector there will be a lot more that the government don’t even know about because they are self funders etc and never went through a local authority. 

That also doesn’t include younger people with complex health needs that are in supported living. 

The number is easily over 500,000 if not significantly more. 

These care home placements range from £500-2500 a week, I’d say £1000 a week is a good average. 

£1,000 x 500,000 = £500,000,000 A WEEK! 

Is that £25 billion? 

How many of those kids are going to become professional ski instructors?! 

I would bet probably none of them.

Its the same as those “courses” you do in America and Oz where you go to “learn to be a cowboy” and do some ranch work. 

None of them go on to do that sort of work, it’s just a middle class rich kids version of a holiday to do on their gap year.   

I’m not disagreeing with you. However I do know one kid who learnt to become a ski instructor in Canada and now is a professional instructor albeit at one of the UK snow domes.

My point is that many on here have a view on  what’s ‘essential’ or ‘critical’ but are only looking at from their perspective. 

27 minutes ago, AVB said:

So I have to travel to Germany soon at the request of a client. I feel I could do it remotely, they don’t. Should I go?

If you have to travel on business - the have to sounds like essential.

I feel I could do it remotely, they don’t. Should I go?  That is your call - how could I possibly judge that? 

No one has to go on a skiing trip - for which they are paying.  They may want to - but it is not essential - any more than training new ski instructors (in a season in which many of the skiing slopes/facilities are closed) is 'essential'.  It is a holiday, not work, and that is not essential.  If you can't see that - we will have to agree to disagree!

Just now, JohnfromUK said:

If you have to travel on business - the have to sounds like essential.

I feel I could do it remotely, they don’t. Should I go?  That is your call - how could I possibly judge that? 

No one has to go on a skiing trip - for which they are paying.  They may want to - but it is not essential - any more than training new ski instructors (in a season in which many of the skiing slopes/facilities are closed) is 'essential'.  It is a holiday, not work, and that is not essential.  If you can't see that - we will have to agree to disagree!

No I actually agree with you regarding the skiing. But all too often people have their own view on ‘essential’. And as you said how could you judge my situation’. You and others will have a view on it but only I can make the decision based upon my own risk assessment. That risk assessment may be flawed but it’s my decision. 

3 minutes ago, AVB said:

And as you said how could you judge my situation’. You and others will have a view on it but only I can make the decision based upon my own risk assessment. That risk assessment may be flawed but it’s my decision.

Agreed - and you will not find me critical of that decision - whichever way it goes (unless I get to find out the 'business' ids all about a skiing trip 🤣

2 hours ago, Imperfection said:

Annoying as it is-its for everyones benefit. How much slagging off would Boris get if he sat back and did nothing?

Chill, have a drink and relax (at home).

Poor Boris lock down the country and he is wrong- dont lock down the country and he is wrong.  Radio 4 today police broke up a London wedding party with I think 400 guests although I did not quite catch the number.  Chill with a drink at home that is good advice.

Blackpowder

24 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Thats a lot of Income tax and NI contributions there, without even scratching the surface of their frequent hospital visits ect , Oh and pensions.

26 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Their 'economic value' ended when they stopped becoming major tax payers/contributors , and became net tax beneficiaries.

27 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Now we're talking !

To be clear , I dont see the 'old' as being a burden, they built the country that we are now enjoying.
But some dont see it that way, and some others wouldnt be totally unhappy if a few of them expired a little quicker.

The general idea of paying INTO the system, and being supported by it after retirement, using the INVESTMENT of your taxes, is an utter fallacy.
That money got spent twice over , then borrowed against twice over more.
The 'pot' is empty, and as the lazy beget more lazies, and the old get older still, the demands on the social state are near breaking point.

They are openly talking about 'The great reset' now, think about what that could actually mean.

5 minutes ago, Blackpowder said:

Radio 4 today police broke up a London wedding party with I think 400 guests although I did not quite catch the number.

Even more extraordinary - the party was at a school premises where the head teacher had died from CV in the spring.  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9175687/Police-raid-wedding-400-GUESTS-held-Jewish-girls-school-north-London.html

But then, various religions view things in different ways - which is not to mean that they shouldn't follow the law.

2 hours ago, AVB said:

They were training to be ski instructors so ‘working’. 

This highlights the problem with mass testing and why I am anti it. It creates a false sense of security.  

This highlights just what might happen if the younger ie under 30 are allowed to carry on as normal. 

If this was a group of French kids bringing the virus to Scotland everyone would be in uproar saying the airports shouldn't be letting people in.

Look at the Isle of Man,  when you go there you quarantine on arrival,  someone posted the same about Norway,  some people will still travel with work, but paying to go skiing and learning to instruct when France has closed its ski resorts??

I'm amazed they got in.

We had training booked at work next week but it's been put back to March, because it can wait.

24 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Even more extraordinary - the party was at a school premises where the head teacher had died from CV in the spring.  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9175687/Police-raid-wedding-400-GUESTS-held-Jewish-girls-school-north-London.html

But then, various religions view things in different ways - which is not to mean that they shouldn't follow the law.

Even more extraordinary is the fact that the school hired out the hall. So who in their right mind would hire out a hall for a function in the current climate. What did they think, that it was going to be used for vaccinations? 

Just now, AVB said:

Even more extraordinary is the fact that the school hired out the hall. So who in their right mind would hire out a hall for a function in the current climate. What did they think, that it was going to be used for vaccinations? 

The school allegedly leases the premises to an organisation which lets it out for functions, and works totally independent from the school. Allegedly. They have access without the need to contact the school. Allegedly. 
Im assuming the school was in lockdown from education, otherwise you would think someone at the school would get wind of what was going on? 

2 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Labs are my favourite dogs (I have had two).  However - if ever food had gone missing .......... I knew who to blame!

If you think labs are bad you need to get a beagle. Now didn’t someone loose a beagle a while back? 🤔Maybe we should blame the beagle! 😳

1 hour ago, Scully said:

The school allegedly leases the premises to an organisation which lets it out for functions, and works totally independent from the school. Allegedly. They have access without the need to contact the school. Allegedly. 
Im assuming the school was in lockdown from education, otherwise you would think someone at the school would get wind of what was going on? 

Like the caretaker?

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

I have never had a beagle, but both my labs were light fingered (pawed?) self filling dustbins.

What's the saying - the five second rule is useless when you have a sub-one second dog 🙂