Lampwick

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Gordon R said:

I have to mention Michael Johnson - brilliant analyst and a respected opinion.

John McEnroe is the same with tennis. What they say makes sense and they have the knowledge to back it up.

McEnroe is suprerb. I get the impression that the BBC can only afford him for short bursts. 

So that's that. I think under the circumstances, it's been utterly extraordinary. Favourite medal would be holly bradshaw's bronze in the pole vault, followed by that ridiculous Keirin win for Kenny. I loved the shared gold in the high jump too! Anyone else have a favourite moment?

Ups, downs, heartbreak and sportsmanship. Roll on 2024 and Paris!

For me the women’s Madison. Never seen that type of racing before and really enjoyed it, seriously tactical and a lot to take in while doing nonsense speeds on a bike Wheel to wheel with everyone else. Loved it. And the performance was absolutely dominant, different level to the rest of the field.

I not even going to try and spell her name, but the South African swimmer who beat the world record at 200mtrs breaststroke,  she new she had won, but her reaction when she saw the time!!

https://www.africanews.com/2021/07/30/tokyo-2020-schoenmaker-wins-gold-for-south-africa-breaks-world-record//#:~:text=South Africa strikes gold at,of 2 minutes%2C 18.95 seconds.

After that team GB winning the mixed medley,  or Jason Kenny taking the gold on what is likely his final event and becoming the most successful British Olympian. 

Yep … very pleased with the whole thing, and with the number of records broken, no-one can begin to consider this an Olympics light.

Having previously cried at many sporting achievements (including showjumping on the radio from Rio), I can now add BMX and modern Pentathlon to the list.

The mens pairs Gold on the 10m diving was an outstanding achievement given how well the Chinese do, plus the 400m hurdles with the distant bronze medalist just missing out on beating the old world record … what a blistering race.

I still miss the raw power of Hoy on the last bend of the velodrome, and the ‘he didn’t want to make me angry’ comment by Ben Ainsley is still high on my all time list.

Only 3 years till Paris 😁

4 hours ago, Gordon R said:

The shared High Jump Gold for me.

Aye you're not wrong. What I particularly loved was how genuinely overjoyed they both were, as if no other option could be contemplated. Neither looked hard done by, or that they were just agreeing as a publicity stunt, they genuinely looked like it was the best decision in the world. Great stuff.

Worst moment? The poor German girl whose horse was a complete (insert chosen expletive here) in the modern pentathlon. She went into the penultimate event with, as the commentators put it, 'one of the biggest leads ever seen at the Olympics.' and ended it with being eliminated through no fault of her own. Absolutely brutal. Something really needs to be done about that rule, because it's killing dreams in a way that's way beyond the element of luck in sport.

8 minutes ago, ditchman said:

cant really be over the moon for sky Brown.............born and raised in Japan ....lives in California....and has been to London once...............

Super little girl and very talented but I have the same opinion as you Simon. Obviously being manipulated by parents.

The guy on the pomel horse was outstanding as where the two kenny's but I think the whole team deserve great credit for their efforts.

43 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Super little girl and very talented but I have the same opinion as you Simon. Obviously being manipulated by parents.

The guy on the pomel horse was outstanding as where the two kenny's but I think the whole team deserve great credit for their efforts.

I don't think she's being manipulated,  British Dad, Japanese mum, they live between California and Japan,  the GB skateboarder association or what ever it is approached them, probably because she was already better than everyone else over here, no reason not to take the help being offered,  and now she's an Olympian and bronze medallist. 

I nearly said the whole GB team, they matched the medals total for London, had a lot of fourth places in the rowing but still managed to finish in fourth overall,  very well done I say.

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

cant really be over the moon for sky Brown.............born and raised in Japan ....lives in California....and has been to London once...............:hmm:

I've only been to London twice 🤣🤣 not lucky enough to have been to Japan or California. 

It looks like out medal tally is about to drop by one.

CJ Ujah, who won silver with the men's 4x100m relay team has tested positive for a banned substance and has been provisionally suspended. If that is confirmed, it's almost certain we'll lose that silver medal. I can't imagine the test would have been far enough after the event for it to be safe.

Poor form and I feel for the other athletes who are about to have a wonderful memory irrevocably tarnished.

I wonder what the excuses will be. Bad food? drinks spiked? Inhaled from someone else?

'ere we go ................this is why i cant get worked up over atheletics anymore and i mean all of them.........

it appears one of our GB sprinting team has tested positive for a banned substance and therefore the whole relay team will lose their silver medal..........

im sure there will be more to follow when they get thro processing all the thousands of samples...

quite angry about it really..

I can never really understand cheating? I understand there may be fame and fortune associated with it but really!! You have cheated yourself, your friends and family and supporters. Not sure how you can live with it. 

Lifetime ban if it’s proven!! 

• 1 month later...

CJ Ujah: British Olympic 4x100m relay silver medallist's 'B' sample positive - BBC Sport

So that stat about Team GB being the only team to at least equal or better a medal haul in the next two Olympics after hosting's gone up in smoke. You have to feel for the other three runners. This'll taint the whole Olympics for them.