Furlough pay back

scolopax

9 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

Thanks Dave, and thanks, it was bugging me!!  I love a good Clint film!

Of course you're right, more people in the home for longer inevitably means more electricity used.  But unless it's really time you switched supplier, that's only a modest increase in overheads.  The cost of travelling is way more for your typical household or individual - cars sat on driveways for months barely going anywhere!  Taking all the other savings into account, the 20% gap was not, in reality, as big as that for many people.  Granted, there's always exceptions.

You've missed a trick with grants 3 and 4 then, you could have claimed them, there was no need to do any "homework" to supply proof, you just had to tick the box to declare you felt your business had been affected.  Obviously you needed to be sure you wouldn't get your bum spanked at a later date if it turns out you didn't need it after HMRC investigate you, but that's different from can't be bothered to prove it

What's your trade?  I run a carpet & upholstery cleaning business so I'm also working in peoples' homes - I found it different, basically my customers decided my fate, the phone never rang from late March throughout the whole of April.

Likewise I'd have been happy to have been furloughed if I was employed!  I had a release pen to extend, water system to re-plumb, feeders to repair, rides to cut... an endless list I could have got through!

Well it’s not just electricity really is it? Our food consumption increased somewhat, but at least the dogs were happy, they got to spend loads of time with us. 🙂

Im good regarding grants 3 and 4; unless I’m mistaken I can still claim the 4th, but don’t think I’ll bother. 
My accountant incidentally has emailed with a PDF of a spreadsheet with added criteria for eligibility, which includes the option to repay any grants received. I haven’t looked at it yet, but no doubt there will be some squeaky bums at some point in the future. Hopefully mine won’t be one of them. 🙂

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 08/08/2021 at 18:21, Scully said:

This. I’m assuming we’ll all be paying it back for some time to come, via taxation or cuts. 🤷‍♂️
I can’t think why only those who received it should be responsible for paying it back, it wasn’t exactly their decision to stay at home. 

Actually it could have been, my employer asked everyone the question whether to prefer working or take furlough,then gave those who wanted 4 weeks off at 80% pay,

7 minutes ago, TOPGUN749 said:

Actually it could have been, my employer asked everyone the question whether to prefer working or take furlough,then gave those who wanted 4 weeks off at 80% pay,

My OH had no choice, nor did mates at British Gypsum. My OH is in minimum wage, so 80% of not a lot works out at **** all really. Those at Gypsum are salaried at around the 30k mark, 80% of which is still quite substantial. 
I’ve struggled to think actually, of anyone I know who had a choice, and there’s two, a married couple,  both solicitors.
Both are still working mostly from home; as one of them said, they always had the technology and therefore the capability, they’d just never done it. Their savings on fuel are impressive. 

1 hour ago, TOPGUN749 said:

Actually it could have been, my employer asked everyone the question whether to prefer working or take furlough,then gave those who wanted 4 weeks off at 80% pay,really the company was in a healthy state and didn’t need furlough but saw an opportunity to save several thousands in wages,there was a lot of fraud in this area!

I am not trying to belittle anyone who lost someone to Covid, but does anyone else look back and wonder just how we got caught up in the mass hysteria? When the dust settled, it appears Covid accounted for a similar amount of deaths to Flu. 

People made millions manufacturing Covid masks, Florence Nightingale Hospitals and testing Centres were thrown up and rarely used. Track and Trace - aka the Emperor's new clothes - was there ever a bigger white elephant? It made HS2 seem sensible. Many, many people lost their jobs, the current travel fiasco is down to Covid. Working from home became a "right", which many still cling to. I wonder why.

Worst of all - amongst people suffering health issues, losses of family, friends, employment, financial ruin etc, we had the parasites who have milked or defrauded each and every one of us.

When their is a tragedy or even a war, some always make money. Just how low can people sink?

As always, hindsight is a wonderful thing!

When Covid started in Europe, mainly Italy, there seemed to be no treatment except for hospitalisation  in intensive care, the mortality rate appeared to be exceptionally high and there was no preventative apart from isolation. 

When it spread to the UK, sensibly and quickly, dedicated care facilities (the Nightingales) were built and lock down introduced with measures put in place to provide some compensation. 

PPE was obtained from wherever was possible and vaccine research undertaken as quickly as possible.

OK, some of the spend, in hindsight, was unnecessary. Some lowlifes benefitted more than they should, but, in reality, what else, without a crystal ball, could have been done?

1 hour ago, Gordon R said:

I am not trying to belittle anyone who lost someone to Covid, but does anyone else look back and wonder just how we got caught up in the mass hysteria? When the dust settled, it appears Covid accounted for a similar amount of deaths to Flu. 

People made millions manufacturing Covid masks, Florence Nightingale Hospitals and testing Centres were thrown up and rarely used. Track and Trace - aka the Emperor's new clothes - was there ever a bigger white elephant? It made HS2 seem sensible. Many, many people lost their jobs, the current travel fiasco is down to Covid. Working from home became a "right", which many still cling to. I wonder why.

Worst of all - amongst people suffering health issues, losses of family, friends, employment, financial ruin etc, we had the parasites who have milked or defrauded each and every one of us.

When their is a tragedy or even a war, some always make money. Just how low can people sink?

Some people seen through it straight away but it did show how easy it it to manipulate the public

11 minutes ago, Deker said:

Some people seen through it straight away but it did show how easy it it to manipulate the public

Yes it was an over reaction in so many ways,and most over the public just swallowed it all,took their jabs like obedient children,was it all a cover for what’s happening now,massive inflation and the big reset?

OK, some of the spend, in hindsight, was unnecessary.

Some measures were sensible precautions, but we seemed to be swept along in the hysteria to accept some truly dumb ideas.

When Track and Trace was announced, I said that it was unworkable and a complete waste of money. It wasn't rocket science. 

The furlough and emergency loan schemes were abused, despite the world and his wife knowing that fraud was rife. Any concerns were ignored, with staff being told to just pay out. Those in the Civil Service who sanctioned this policy should be as accountable as the fraudsters.

When Track and Trace was announced, I said that it was unworkable and a complete waste of money. It wasn't rocket science. 

From what i can see they are not saying track and trace is a bad idea and useful when done properly,  more that it was badly administrated.  

On 02/06/2022 at 10:55, TOPGUN749 said:

Yes it was an over reaction in so many ways,and most over the public just swallowed it all,took their jabs like obedient children,was it all a cover for what’s happening now,massive inflation and the big reset?

Yeah, I see we are back into the twilight zone :ermm:

I must have missed that, where did you get the information that Covid accounted for a similar amount of deaths as the Flu ?

From what i can see they are not saying track and trace is a bad idea and useful when done properly,  more that it was badly administrated.  

I am saying it was useless. Unless we locked people in their homes, it could never work. Can you imagine a burglar reporting just who they met, or a lady of the night? 

I must have missed that, where did you get the information that Covid accounted for a similar amount of deaths as the Flu ?

News on line last week.

15 hours ago, ordnance said:

Give it up, it’s over.

Look at the world now; 99% back to normal, no masks, no travel restrictions and yet covid is still flying about. Indeed the average death stats and other data now available tells us everything we need to know.

We were done, well and truly conned by an over zealous media that thrives on the doom mongering and daily briefings lead by largely irrelevant civil servants who for once found meaning, status and platform.

The resulting dent to society, civil liberties and the poverty that will follow will make ‘Covid’ the disease look like a walk in the park.

We had a street party Friday and the house over the road has Covid - of the other 20 houses in the road the unanimous response was ‘blimey, is anyone still bothering to test’. That was it. No one gives a monkeys because they are now able to fully ***** and understand the risk.

4 hours ago, Mungler said:

Give it up, it’s over.

Look at the world now; 99% back to normal, no masks, no travel restrictions and yet covid is still flying about. Indeed the average death stats and other data now available tells us everything we need to know.

We were done, well and truly conned by an over zealous media that thrives on the doom mongering and daily briefings lead by largely irrelevant civil servants who for once found meaning, status and platform.

The resulting dent to society, civil liberties and the poverty that will follow will make ‘Covid’ the disease look like a walk in the park.

We had a street party Friday and the house over the road has Covid - of the other 20 houses in the road the unanimous response was ‘blimey, is anyone still bothering to test’. That was it. No one gives a monkeys because they are now able to fully ***** and understand the risk.

Its over ???  the Covid numbers are low at this time, its gone away ? 

News on line last week.

That doesn't make sense (  that Covid accounted for a similar amount of deaths as the flu ) flu deaths when, in a year, in a decade, from records started ?

• 2 months later...

i for one got nothing through the lockdowns and again now will get no help with this so called cost of living crisis.and ì do begrudge the £1000 a year income tax i pay on my tiny pension.i along with many others are paying for the furlough farce i know of truck drivers sitting at home on 80% while shops were struggling to get stock due to no drivers.food left in the fields when fit healthy young people were sitting at home watching sky drinking cheap lager etc.the elderly and medically vunerable should have been shielded but not shut the country down.

Following on from a previous post about PPE

my son is recruiting for temp,Xmas staff. Asked one applicant where he worked

it was a warehouse down the road ( old WWII Shadow factory for building wellington bombers, so HUGE) at least 100m x 100m and 12m to eaves. His job was to unload 40' containers full of out of date PPE which had been collected from storage areas ( some outside in all weathers in cardboard boxes ) they are now waiting for commercial crushers to come and destroy all of it!!

58 minutes ago, Diver One said:

Following on from a previous post about PPE

my son is recruiting for temp,Xmas staff. Asked one applicant where he worked

it was a warehouse down the road ( old WWII Shadow factory for building wellington bombers, so HUGE) at least 100m x 100m and 12m to eaves. His job was to unload 40' containers full of out of date PPE which had been collected from storage areas ( some outside in all weathers in cardboard boxes ) they are now waiting for commercial crushers to come and destroy all of it!!

Good money if you can get it.

The whole Covid saga was a over paranoid shambles from start to finish and the main cause of most of the worlds woes at the moment.

Edited by Newbie to this

• 3 months later...