Finish for oak mantle beam

paul1966

12 minutes ago, paul1966 said:

Thanks for the replies, on one corner or the beam it looks like its had rot at some point and the wood is a bit soft and like a honeycomb, what would be the best way to strengthen it, could i get something to paint on it so it soaks in and sets?

DSC_0419.JPG.4a35fdbd967a78f8d81281512dc052bb.JPG

Wood hardener.

49 minutes ago, Dougy said:

Is the soft bit that your reffering to possibly the outer prt of the trunk, close to the bark ? I have similar on mine and just left it. 

could be, i am thinking of just leaving, and hopefully after finishing it won't be so noticable

17 hours ago, paul1966 said:

Thanks for the replies, on one corner or the beam it looks like its had rot at some point and the wood is a bit soft and like a honeycomb, what would be the best way to strengthen it, could i get something to paint on it so it soaks in and sets?

DSC_0419.JPG.4a35fdbd967a78f8d81281512dc052bb.JPG

It’s just sap wood 👍. Honey combing is when it drys too quick normally 

1 hour ago, paul1966 said:

After its finished I am thinking of using threaded rod to hold it up, can you get quick set adhesive to squirt into the bricks, the beam is too heavy to hold for any length of time 

I wouldn't even attempt to hold it up with muscle power.

Can you put a table under it and adjust the beam height with a car jack or two? That would give you the time for Anchorset or other masonry resin to set.

Edited by amateur

1 hour ago, paul1966 said:

After its finished I am thinking of using threaded rod to hold it up, can you get quick set adhesive to squirt into the bricks, the beam is too heavy to hold for any length of time 

Hire a couple of acrow supports probably cost you about a fiver for a day. 

1 hour ago, amateur said:

I wouldn't even attempt to hold it up with muscle power.

Can you put a table under it and adjust the beam height with a car jack or two? That would give you the time for Anchorset or other masonry resin to set.

Good idea that, I'm sure I can rustle something up

3 hours ago, paul1966 said:

Its manageable to lift, at a guess about 15-20 kg, damp meter is reading 15%, seller said it has been air dried about 2 years. 

15% is good for windows etc . 6-8 is better inside but it’ll just go to its surroundings. 
2 years would be ok if it’s 1” thick but rule of thumb is a year an inch plus 1 year before it’s ready . 
it’ll move lots but that’s part of the character .

the scary part with oak is the shrinkage.

we had fresh sawn boards shrink from 13” wide to 11” . They say allow 1” in every 8” 

Edited by team tractor