Leather experiment

ditchman

went thro some of my stuff that has leather bits and wrapping on and decieded the leather was getting quite dry...thats when the damage starts to happen.....got no leather soap or any conditioner,,,,,,,,,,but i did has a big tub of niva hand cream ....so i had a go with that........

well i never ,....it works very well indeed and is absorbed very quickly...and the leather still retains its finish and shine.......got some crockett&jones shooting boots and lathered it on them and all.........superb.......very impressed..........also tried it on a leather covered (very thin) altimeter.in its case......superb job and didnt alter the structure or the finish of the leather

all in all good result......

I dare say it will feed leather as its made for skin, not sure how water proof it would be on your boots/shoes, I use silicon grease on my shooting boots and shoes, its brilliant at water proofing and a little goes a long way, I even rub my stock down with it and the wood never gets wet even in heavy rain.

I use Kao-Cho-Line as was told back way back when by Mr Brady of Brady's to use Mansion Wax (which it seems is no longer available) so was advised by a retired Deputy Director of Museums to use Kao-Cho-Line. Both said do not ever use Connolly's as it has a solvent which for both guncases and cartridge bags will cause the leather to separate where the wood of the case or lining of the bag has been glued to it.

Hands that do dishes.......................  oooooops that was washing up liquid.

I purchased a couple of pots of some expensive leather treatment a couple of years ago at the Shooting Show and that is excellent. The name escapes me at the moment but your soloution sounds a lot cheaper.

Edited by Walker570

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Hands that do dishes.......................  oooooops that was washing up liquid.

I purchased a couple of pots of some expensive leather treatment a couple of years ago at the Shooting Show and that is excellent. The name escapes me at the moment but your soloution sounds a lot cheaper.

Was it ranalar or ranapur?

Ditchman, start using it on your hands after carving ginger!

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

• 2 weeks later...