The green magpies have arrived up here.

Walker570

I had a chap tell me he had just seen a large flock of greeny yellow birds fly infront of him . This was on a golf course in Sutton Coldfield. Unmistaheable they had to be parrakeets. I explained what they where and that they where alien pest soecies doing considrable harm to our native birds.   Needless to say they are on notice not to land with 40yrds of me.

Edited by Walker570

6 minutes ago, bottletopbill said:

Stack of them on border between S E London/Kent always clinging to the walls and nibbling the cement between bricks.

Seven to eight a day in garden neighbors all against shooting them (idiots).

Trap them.

On 27/07/2022 at 19:56, bottletopbill said:

Stack of them on border between S E London/Kent always clinging to the walls and nibbling the cement between bricks.

Seven to eight a day in garden neighbors all against shooting them (idiots).

Since I started using the Logun Solo again, I have shot 3 off the bird table.

1 hour ago, bottletopbill said:

My neighbors would call the police as both let there gardens over grow. I get more wood Pidgeon's and magpies in my garden than I see at the farm 🙏

Fortunately, our garden is well shielded by boundary trees and fences. Our immediate neighbour has a similar philosophy to mine - kill 'em.

Unfortunately my wife thinks that parrokeets and squirrels are lovely, so I have to use some discretion when killing and disposing of them.

Strangely, she is quite happy for me to control any rats.

I'm led to believe they are a bit like sparrows and love to feed 'en mass.  Load of dust shot and open choke should do it then.

We did see quite a sight here this morning.  A very large bright shiny blue butterfly 4 to 5 inches across flew into the yard, settled on a flower for a second and flew over the neighbours wall.     Twycross zoo is only a mile across the fields and probably an escapee.

• 3 weeks later...

Now that I have shot 6 off the bird table in the past month, they have stopped coming.

They are certainly about because I can hear their screeches, but no visitors for the past week.

Perhaps they have had too much .177 polyfilla

1 hour ago, amateur said:

I wrote too soon.

They were back mob-handed this morning, but one succumbed to the Logun and the rest fled the scene.

Well done and keep at it 👍 Opportunities are few and far between, so I'm glad you are doing your thing 😉

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

One at a time will work!  :good:

It seems to have worked with the squirrels. I haven't seen one in the garden for months

3 minutes ago, JKD said:

Well done and keep at it 👍 Opportunities are few and far between, so I'm glad you are doing your thing 😉

They make up for the lack of squirrel and rat targets

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

ck as a kid I used to shoot sparrows with #9 dust shot with my grandfathers 12 gauge feeding on spilt wheat in the yard.  I think the same situation could be arranged here. Bait them for a day or two then skeet choke out of the moded 410 should see a few less.

Sunflower seeds are what attracts them to our bird table, and if left undisturbed, will demolish a feeder full in a day.

I just keep on disturbing them.

• 2 months later...
On 29/07/2022 at 10:29, amateur said:

Strangely, she is quite happy for me to control any rats

I do find it interesting that people have perceptions of certain species. Rats get alot of hate and most people are happy for them to be controlled. Yet a grey squirrel is cute and fluffy. I was in Sidmouth recently woth family and there were people feeding the Grey's. And to my amusement they were feeding them at the base of an Oak with a plentiful supply of acorn at its base.

• 2 weeks later...