Is now a good time to buy?

davids3511

New or s/h.?  eke is a lot of gun.  You've only got to look on here or guntrader and you can't  give guns away.  I was in a shop recently and there were a couple of blokes who asked if the shop bought in guns. The answer was a definitive No.!  5he assistant showed the blokes a big rack of guns that appeared as in New condition.  The assistant said that people would buy new guns but no one wanted S/H.  Shooting has changed.  When I was a kid you started with a ratty sb 410 and then went on to a ratty 12 and eventually something better  but now guns aren't considered as a tool,, more as a fashion accessory.  That's why the shop had a rack of what looked like new.... S/H guns. And as for SbS they just aren't in fashion.  That's what I  said about a fashion accessory. 

7 minutes ago, Minky said:

New or s/h.?  eke is a lot of gun.  You've only got to look on here or guntrader and you can't  give guns away.  I was in a shop recently and there were a couple of blokes who asked if the shop bought in guns. The answer was a definitive No.!  5he assistant showed the blokes a big rack of guns that appeared as in New condition.  The assistant said that people would buy new guns but no one wanted S/H.  Shooting has changed.  When I was a kid you started with a ratty sb 410 and then went on to a ratty 12 and eventually something better  but now guns aren't considered as a tool,, more as a fashion accessory.  That's why the shop had a rack of what looked like new.... S/H guns. And as for SbS they just aren't in fashion.  That's what I  said about a fashion accessory. 

Second hand, trading up from a Browning Ultra XS. Looking at a Dt10 (but they're well used at that price point) or one of the Caesar range, probably a Maxum.

Started with a ratty Franchi Alcione (which I wish I never sold) then an aging browning ultra XS.

49 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

I would give it till closer to Christmas. Or shoot with a side by side, lots of wonderful bargains there!

Have a lovely Galleon sxs I'm going to have restored when I've got spare Dosh. Bought it for the stunning Damascus barrels from this very site.

If we could answer questions like that we would all be millionaires. If you are looking for a gun to keep and shoot, find one that you like and just drive a hard bargain and buy it. It’s not about investment value but shooting a lovely gun. Having spent a lot on hammerguns over the years believe me I know.

In another few months every hobby related thing will  be much cheaper secondhand

Guns, motorbikes, boats, microlights etc

Because when money gets tight they are the first and easiest things to go.

Trouble is then nobody has the money to buy them so it becomes like a Dutch auction 

12 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

If we could answer questions like that we would all be millionaires. If you are looking for a gun to keep and shoot, find one that you like and just drive a hard bargain and buy it. It’s not about investment value but shooting a lovely gun. Having spent a lot on hammerguns over the years believe me I know.

That's true, I was really just asking if s/h guns are likely to be affected by recession in any meaningful way. I've never been about to buy a gun in an economic down turn before, was usually worrying if I'd be able to pay the mortgage.

I’ve never given a thought about what is or isn’t a good time to buy; being a gun nut, if I see a gun I really want and can afford it, I’ll just buy it, it may not be there next week. 
I always seem to be attracted to most which aren’t made anymore, or less mainstream guns for some un deliberate reason. I’m usually almost a generation behind current trends! 🤷‍♂️

7 minutes ago, Scully said:

I’ve never given a thought about what is or isn’t a good time to buy; being a gun nut, if I see a gun I really want and can afford it, I’ll just buy it, it may not be there next week. 
I always seem to be attracted to most which aren’t made anymore, or less mainstream guns for some un deliberate reason. I’m usually almost a generation behind current trends! 🤷‍♂️

I suppose but for me this is a big purchase that will have to last me years so if waiting 6 months can get me a less used/better condition gun then I'll be content to wait.

Whatever, whenever from wherever, I would urge you to 'try before you buy'. You mentioned Dt10/11 and CG ? You may find that switching from the Browning to an Italian style gun, does not work for you. I say that because it did not work for me. I tried them. I bought an XS Pro, and that lasted 3 months and went, just could not shoot it. I bought a ProSport which was a completely different gun.

Edited by Westley

Ah ok, I hadn't considered that. My son has an mk38 (so similar to the browning really) and I don't believe I've ever hit a single clay with it.

7 minutes ago, Westley said:

Whatever, whenever from wherever, I would urge you to 'try before you buy'. You mentioned Dt10/11 and CG ? You may find that switching from the Browning to an Italian style gun, does not work for you. I say that because it did not work for me. I tried them. I bought an XS Pro, and that lasted 3 months and went, just could not shoot it. I bought a ProSport which was a completely different gun.

I'm not totally up in all the different models, are the XSPro and prosport not both Browning's?

2 hours ago, davids3511 said:

Ah ok, I hadn't considered that. My son has an mk38 (so similar to the browning really) and I don't believe I've ever hit a single clay with it.

I'm not totally up in all the different models, are the XSPro and prosport not both Browning's?

Yes, they are BUT they are a world apart. My shooting pal switched from a CG to an XS Pro, he stuck it for 6 months and last week bought a 694, with which he is shooting well. The point that I was trying to make is switching from Browning to Italian does NOT always work out. I have tried Beretta SO's, DT10, Perazzi and CG I never really shot well with any of them. I shot the Prosport really well, but age and health are taking their toll and the Prosport weighs in around 9lbs. The MK38 is almost a pound lighter. Do try before you part with your money, it could work out cheaper in the long run.

2 hours ago, davids3511 said:

The MK38 is likely to be lighter and lower in the comb than your XS, maybe they were contributory factors ?

Gun shops are "steel proof" wary, if you gun is an ultra XS and you want an "upgrade" then most Browning are so similar to the ultra XS it will feel like a waste of money, the XS is a superb clay buster, if it were me... I'd look at things like Kemen, or a Perazzi MX, maybe a good late service Blaser F3, having shot DT10 and DT11 I prefer the DT11, but you need around £4500 for one of them.

Salavini make some nice older guns the Duke springs to mind, apparently very well balanced.

You will always lose money buying anything , rarely break even on the resale. 

What is your reasons for an upgrade? If it's to find a magic extra 10% on your scores then lessons are a better investment 

8 hours ago, Westley said:

The MK38 is likely to be lighter and lower in the comb than your XS, maybe they were contributory factors ?

I've no idea, I gave up in frustration. He shoots very nicely with it though.

7 hours ago, retromlc said:

I'd look at things like Kemen, or a Perazzi MX, maybe a good late service Blaser F3, having shot DT10 and DT11 I prefer the DT11, but you need around £4500 for one of them.

Salavini make some nice older guns the Duke springs to mind, apparently very well balanced.

These guns are either well out of my price range for something that hasn't been well used, or are like hens teeth. There is only one Duke on Guntrader. 

7 hours ago, retromlc said:

What is your reasons for an upgrade? If it's to find a magic extra 10% on your scores then lessons are a better investment 

The Ultra XS is just getting a bit tired. The bottom firing pin strikes but doesn't fire once every 300 rounds or so, the stock bolt comes loose once a year or so, the butt plate needs replacing. All doable but I just fancy a change really.

1 minute ago, davids3511 said:

I've no idea, I gave up in frustration. He shoots very nicely with it though.

These guns are either well out of my price range for something that hasn't been well used, or are like hens teeth. There is only one Duke on Guntrader. 

The Ultra XS is just getting a bit tired. The bottom firing pin strikes but doesn't fire once every 300 rounds or so, the stock bolt comes loose once a year or so, the butt plate needs replacing. All doable but I just fancy a change really.

Take the stock off the gun and remove the bottom firing pin and spring. The pin is usually carboned up and it sticks. I do both top and bottom pins around every 6 months. I use one of the green sponge pan scrubbers and some GT85 to clean the pins. Then use cotton wool buds and the same solvent to clean the housings. I then put a very small drop of Lucas gun oil on both pins and refit. When I have the pins out I check the pin nose for wear and clean with some fine wet and dry and oil. I have done this with all Browning and Miroku guns that I have owned. It takes about 30 minutes to do both pins.

My MX8 is 22 yrs old and tight as a drum, for £3k you can get one listed at £3500, for me they are very special, I handled an old keman probably a £2k gun, it was so nice I'd have bought it if the owner wasn't in love with it,owned from new, shop around there's some special stuff available if patient

5 minutes ago, Westley said:

Take the stock off the gun and remove the bottom firing pin and spring. The pin is usually carboned up and it sticks. I do both top and bottom pins around every 6 months. I use one of the green sponge pan scrubbers and some GT85 to clean the pins. Then use cotton wool buds and the same solvent to clean the housings. I then put a very small drop of Lucas gun oil on both pins and refit. When I have the pins out I check the pin nose for wear and clean with some fine wet and dry and oil. I have done this with all Browning and Miroku guns that I have owned. It takes about 30 minutes to do both pins.

If I do this, its never going back together in working condition. You've no idea what your dealing with telling me to take the firing pin out, you may as well be telling me to design a new nuclear reactor.

2 minutes ago, retromlc said:

My MX8 is 22 yrs old and tight as a drum, for £3k you can get one listed at £3500, for me they are very special, I handled an old keman probably a £2k gun, it was so nice I'd have bought it if the owner wasn't in love with it,owned from new, shop around there's some special stuff available if patient

I've no problem using a 22 year old gun. I'm just concerned I'll be buying a bag of issues, al least with a CG can send it for a £280 service which would sort most things. Its my lack of knowledge that stops me buying a gun like yours.

2 minutes ago, davids3511 said:

If I do this, its never going back together in working condition. You've no idea what your dealing with telling me to take the firing pin out, you may as well be telling me to design a new nuclear reactor.

I've no problem using a 22 year old gun. I'm just concerned I'll be buying a bag of issues, al least with a CG can send it for a £280 service which would sort most things. Its my lack of knowledge that stops me buying a gun like yours.

It really is an easy thing to do.........now a nuclear reactor ???

3 minutes ago, davids3511 said:

Ill have a look, maybe there's a YouTube tutorial. 

There is. Search Browning firing pin.

It helps if you have a small hammer and a pin punch, but I have used a nail before now.

Pm me if you have any problems.

Edited by Westley

10 minutes ago, Westley said:

There is. Search Browning firing pin.

It helps if you have a small hammer and a pin punch, but I have used a nail before now.

Pm me if you have any problems.

I've had a look. Doesn't look too bad actually. Would it be worth changing the pins and springs while I'm in there? I've had the gun 6 years or so and done not much service wise with it.

I've got a B325 that I completely dismantled and cleaned.  It is pretty simple to do if you go about it in a systematic way.   Clean clear area on a sheet. Containers to put things in.  Take a million pictures as you dismantle to refer to.  As to what went where and in what relationship the bits fit.  Don't panic and don't start using a hammer or throwing stuff about. But.. you'll be ok.  AND mine all found its way back together.

Edited by Minky