Boot Laces

Jim Neal

7 minutes ago, Jim Neal said:

Can anyone recommend where to buy decent boot laces from that don't snap the first time you tie them up?  I've tried several lots off eBay and they're all absolute cr....

If for outdoors boots, 550lb paracord is what I use as replacement laces if eyelets are big enough. You need to heat seal the ends but basically unbreakable.

10 hours ago, manthing said:

Check for sharp edges on the eyes and hooks, you may be getting some abrasion. 

Thanks, I get what you're saying but the hooks, by nature, are destructive to the laces, particularly the first pair as you pull up the tension.   I've heavily waxed my laces to minimise it, some laces last a little while, some less!

6 hours ago, gmm243 said:

I bought 2 pairs in Trespass, can't fault them at all and they were only about £3 for the two

Thanks, will see how I get on with paracord and maybe go there if I need to.

On 07/09/2022 at 22:59, Jim Neal said:

Can anyone recommend where to buy decent boot laces from that don't snap the first time you tie them up?  I've tried several lots off eBay and they're all absolute cr....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ironlace-Lace-1-Pair-Black-63-Inch/dp/B00AK9EYDA/ref=asc_df_B00AK9EYRQ/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310486296226&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4486240040273769000&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007094&hvtargid=pla-321206452038&psc=1&th=1

Simply put … these are the best.

4 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

Thanks for that.  Studying the blurb on them, they appear to simply be paracord with an aglet on the ends?  I've ordered 15m of paracord for £8 so will see how that goes, can live without the aglets I think.  If not up to scratch I might check out the laces in your link, cheers :)

Paracord arrived today.  As expected, burnt my fingers melting the ends.  Laced one boot with it, left the other with normal lace, went out for a test drive.  Can't see any difference compared to normal laces except maybe just a bit more difficult to do up due to the slight stretchiness of the paracord.

Susceptibility to abrasion from the lace hooks will obviously be something that is apparent over time....