Planting hazel nuts.

30-6

Plenty of advice on line, but generally score seed and the put in 4 inch pot (2 per pot in case 1 fails) and overwinter in compost\ sand mix in shed\greemhoyse and plant out pots in spring when you see signs of germination and after frosts have ideally ended (if not use cold frame or similar).

Beware of mice!

My farmer friend has two sweet chestnut trees, one unfortunately came half down in the wind, but I'll get some seeds and try them. Also plenty of conker trees about so try some of those as well.

Does anybody put them in water to test for good and bad seed ? Never noticed squirrels doing this.

11 minutes ago, ditchman said:

would there be any mileage in putting the nuts in the freezer for a week prior to germinating

Seen that done with holly berries to start the flesh rotting and make them think they had been threw the winter but dont see a benifit of putting nuts in the freezer to help them 

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

would there be any mileage in putting the nuts in the freezer for a week prior to germinating

I've not had any problem germinating hazel nuts. Just collect nuts fresh from the trees at this time of year and plant. To save space I put a few dozen nuts into a large pot with some free draining compost. I cover the pot with mesh to stop mice eating them and just wait until spring. When the first shoots show I knock out the pot and rummage through and pot up all the ones that are showing signs of growth. 

3 hours ago, Windswept said:

I've not had any problem germinating hazel nuts. Just collect nuts fresh from the trees at this time of year and plant. To save space I put a few dozen nuts into a large pot with some free draining compost. I cover the pot with mesh to stop mice eating them and just wait until spring. When the first shoots show I knock out the pot and rummage through and pot up all the ones that are showing signs of growth. 

sounds straightforward :good:

21 hours ago, Bigbob said:

Seen that done with holly berries to start the flesh rotting and make them think they had been threw the winter but dont see a benifit of putting nuts in the freezer to help them 

Called Vernalization but need to look up species specifics?

Oak don't need it as they should be planted immediately whereby they throw a root and then close down for the winter?

Edited by old man

2 minutes ago, old man said:

Called Vernalization but need to look up species specifics?

Oak don't need it as they should be planted immediately whereby they throw a root and then close down for the winter?

Yes i was a tractorman in a forrestry commission nursey till it closed down all those years ago  happy time but the memory is a bit hazy 

8 minutes ago, Bigbob said:

Yes i was a tractorman in a forrestry commission nursey till it closed down all those years ago  happy time but the memory is a bit hazy 

Years ago I tried to push a local authority to grow its own oaks as we had all of the different ones but it never happened. Would have been cheap and easy as all kit and ground needed was there.

Mice love acorn tops.

Edited by old man

I went back to collage even if i was the oldest in the class room by 10 years passed all my exam due to be the next foreman as the old guy had months till his retirement . Then they shut the place down a English nursery expanded by 10% and swallowed us up LOL i took a civil servants tranfer and continued my time in the MOD but i still remember a few tricks about the seed beds and transplants 

On 12/09/2022 at 20:50, Windswept said:

This is great advice. I’m doing that with a few things (yew, hawthorn, damson - slough away the flesh first) this winter.

Mix a bit of sand in with the compost to keep it light.

:good:

LS

Edited by lord_seagrave
Add detail