What's eating these shot birds ??

THEINVISIBLESCARECROW

Normaly I take all I shoot away with me but a few weeks ago I left 3 crows for the fox. Normaly they have in the past (years since I done this) taken them away & I have seen fox's burying food for later. This time, a week later there was feathers where I left them, looked like all or most of the feathers, no bones at all. That week I left a Pigeon that come down in the next field behind the hedge (part of the farm) this time the same again, a pile of feathers but also the breast bone was left. A slight puzzle as there was also 2/3 Magpie feathers. Fox, Corvids, Buzzards, Kestrals, Squirrels are known to be in the area, possibly rats but no positive sightings. I know Buzzards pluck as that's happened in front of me, I know corvids do take bones away. My thoughts are fox would take away whole, buzzards would leave bones, corvids don't pluck ?  This was on stubble about 20yds from a hedge / tree line. Thoughts ?

47 minutes ago, eggy74 said:

Badger? 

Possible, no sightings & no know sets. I'll add all crow feathers looked neat over a slightly expanded area, x3 "footprint" as if the complete body had decomposed leaving just feathers, the pigeon feathers looked more random  & widespread but still looked neat rather than frantic plucking. I've not seen the remains of a badger meal so maybe a badger is a possible ?

Any bird will peck and larger birds carry stuff off. If a fox is undisturbed it may eat where it picks up. I put bait at the top of the field here and its hard to tell what has been in eating just from the remains. If I put rabbits sometimes they are eaten on the spot and sometimes carried off by a fox. Buzzard will pick away for hours but also carry off if disturbed. Badgers don't eat neatly, stuff would be everywhere. I have seen them walk past shot birds so its not a preferred choice.  

1 hour ago, jall25 said:

I have never known a fox take a corvid to be honest 

I've got my doubts myself but I suppose anything could be possible. Normaly I wouldn't give it a second thought but the feathers were so neat on the ground & seen nothing like it before. Previous occasions I've left the odd crow & next visit either a few feathers remained at most or it wasn't touched.

A buzzard will stay and clean a carcase up if they are hungry but if your not finding the carcase then maybe a buzzard had a go but then decided to take the rest away.

My night crew here clean up anyhting I leave, mainly squirrels but a magpie left alongside a hedge last week was still there five days later but another couple of days it had gone just a few tail feathers. So many possibilities hard to put it down to one species.   I agree on the crows and fozes, foxes don't seem to like them as I have had them hanging in fields to deter others for weeks and never touched.

The only things I have found they wont eat is dead toads I find them dead in the fire pit when they are breeding. Behind my house where I have a bait platform and sacrifice tree (for hanging carcases) the things will eat anything including dried sheep poo. Of less interest is the dear ribs but even that they will eat eventually.