Swallows and Martins

Dave at kelton

Hell of a day today with high winds and heavy rain but finished with lovely late afternoon sun which brought the midges etc out. By the end of the day the lines to the house were full of swallows and martins, probably up to 100. I was surprised they are still here in SW Scotland as they are normally gone by the time the pinks arrive in numbers. Is anyone else still seeing them in quantity?

It's hard to say how many of ours are hangers on and how many are northerners already on their migration routes. There's some evidence to suggest that more and more swallows in particular will be ditching this long distance migration business and doing micro-migrations to the coastal regions, banking on it being easier to tough out a UK winter than face the Sahara twice on journeys to Africa. So watch this space on that.

I used to get a lot of House Martins - peak being about 10 years ago when I had 13 nests around the soffits (which are large) on the house.  They have been declining since and this year, for the first time I had none.  I have no idea why - there have been no immediate changes in the site or near locality.  Conversely, I have seen a few more swallows, but they have never nested on the house, preferring barns and open buildings.  There also seem to be a lot of bats around.

3 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

I used to get a lot of House Martins - peak being about 10 years ago when I had 13 nests around the soffits (which are large) on the house.  They have been declining since and this year, for the first time I had none.  I have no idea why - there have been no immediate changes in the site or near locality.  Conversely, I have seen a few more swallows, but they have never nested on the house, preferring barns and open buildings.  There also seem to be a lot of bats around.

With our dry summer, did you still have areas of damp mud in your vicinity?

Studies have shown that damp mud within 300metres, (preferably 150 metres) is a requisite.

A new nest can take 1000 beakfulls of mud over the ten days of construction, and or repairs.

House Martins are in rapid decline (BTO), and are amber listed in the birds of concern.

They have declined by 16% from 2001. and 65% from 1965

1 minute ago, JohnfromUK said:

I would say yes as there is a ditch that runs just below my garden.  It would have been harder to find damp areas certainly.

They don't tend to use ditches (but I am not saying they wouldn't), preferring puddles and pools with flat gradient edges.