Any Cartridges Collector's on here, been cleaning my cartridges out and found these,anyone got any information on these please,

Been cleaning out my cartridges and found these old ones, anyone got any information on these please, how old rare, thanks              Picture 1 to 4, Gamebore Hiteck hunting Nickel

P 5 to 6, 707 Eley Kynock on brass and in the bottom Diamono Smokeless,

P,7to 9 Picture of Pheasant with Sporting Life on it, W,W, Greener Ltd, London and Birmingham, water resisting Steel Lined, British Made,

P,10 On brass 16 on side Primax Cartridgs Munich Loadld

P, 11 to 12, On brass cap Trent Grimsby, on the side Picture of shotgun and Trent Best Smokeless Cartridge, made in England,

P, 13 to 14 On brass top looks like 102 Eley Munich on the side Picture off Britannia, with  The Britannia Cartridge round her, Jas, R, Watson & Co, London

IMG_20221006_131028.jpg.8221bfa5702b6507729c0c19f76b019b.jpg

IMG_20221006_131110.jpg

IMG_20221006_131124.jpg

IMG_20221006_131144.jpg

IMG_20221006_131209.jpg

IMG_20221006_131225.jpg

IMG_20221006_131332.jpg

IMG_20221006_131356.jpg

IMG_20221006_131437.jpg

IMG_20221006_131921_hdr.jpg

IMG_20221006_131930_hdr.jpg

IMG_20221006_132003_hdr.jpg

IMG_20221006_132012_hdr.jpg

IMG_20221006_131930_hdr.jpg

Edited by miapia221

57 minutes ago, Lever357 said:

The Gamebore HiTech are from the late 80s. They did an all red version for clays, I have a full box of those. The all new fully plastic case was meant to be the way forward but it never took off. I think it was a company called Activ that made them.

Thanks Lever357 for that, at least some one knows about one of them.

The all plastic one looks very similar to the all plastic Rotweill special MK2. from the early 80s. In fact I typed it in to Google and this came up. And the red cartridge pictured here is a Hitech.  I shot a lot of the Rottweil.  They came in a small cardboard box like a suitcase.  200 loose pack.  Somewhere in the odds I have one.  completely all plastic.  There was never any problem with the rim pulling off or cracking.  over the years I have been given a lot of cartridges by people who are packing up or have passed on.  In amongst these have been all sorts of very old stuff.  I shoot them off.  A cartridge is a cartridge and when they were new the person who bought them ,shot them.  Most do go off and do the business.  The ones that don't go off have primers that have deteriorated   I strip them down for the components.  The powder always burns but the primers don't go off.  I have shot cartridges that have been really rusty and in a terrible condition but if they chamber they either go off or they don't.

image.png.191f0ee85bbfb906946f28244812aa8f.png

Edited by Minky

42 minutes ago, HantsRob said:

With what Minky said….. I’m surprised more vendors don’t offer bigger boxes of carts. That’s to say a cardboard box of 250 rather than a box with 10 boxes in. 

It’s market demand 

most comps are 25  50   100 birds 

so a box of 25 cartridges works 

same as a cartridge bag hold’s 50  75. 100 

10 hours ago, Old farrier said:

They are but it’s about the packaging really why a extra 10 cardboard boxes when they are already in a box 

For many people twenty five is enough to purchase at once. 
Think people who wander about on a bit of farmland and pop the odd rabbit or crow. Five or six in a pocket is often enough for those guys. Some maybe can’t afford to buy more at once. It’s what I was doing sixty years ago. Now I buy a thousand a time, as my shooting has changed. Many farmers will make a box last for years, if they only grab the gun when a fox comes in the yard.

Back in the day it was quite normal to buy half a box of cartridges. Some shops sold you 12 and left the box on the shelf for when you came back for the 13. Others sold you 12 x2 and abstracted the odd cartridges to sell as mixed lots. I guess that is why 10 packs became popular.

Buying a slab - for the ordinary shooter - was quite unusual. I recall enquiring about the then-new Eley Magnums at Christian and Dobbs in Long Sutton. They offered to order a slab in and would give me a 5% discount (!). I had to discuss this with the Mrs and with a friend before placing the order. Different times.

14 hours ago, Old farrier said:

It’s market demand 

most comps are 25  50   100 birds 

so a box of 25 cartridges works 

same as a cartridge bag hold’s 50  75. 100 

Hmmm what about the 70 shoots? I guess that leaves spares for 5 no birds ;) I hadn't considered your answer in fairness!

13 hours ago, London Best said:

Many years ago, when I was doing sums at school,  250 and 10x25 was the same thing.

When is a door not a door? When it's a jar.

Yup, it is the same, but a lot of unnecessary waste. But, then appreciate not everyone buys in slabs, and some only want a single box. It just seems like a waste of processing, ink, environment etc that doesn't seem necessary. I think it's more I am surprised some don't sell by a box of 250, rather than a box of 10x25.

2 hours ago, London Best said:

For many people twenty five is enough to purchase at once. 

Selfishly I didn't think of this either :D

1 hour ago, Pushandpull said:

Back in the day it was quite normal to buy half a box of cartridges. Some shops sold you 12 and left the box on the shelf for when you came back for the 13. Others sold you 12 x2 and abstracted the odd cartridges to sell as mixed lots. I guess that is why 10 packs became popular.

Buying a slab - for the ordinary shooter - was quite unusual. I recall enquiring about the then-new Eley Magnums at Christian and Dobbs in Long Sutton. They offered to order a slab in and would give me a 5% discount (!). I had to discuss this with the Mrs and with a friend before placing the order. Different times.

That's genuinely fascinating. Every day is a school day, thanks for sharing that! :D

Edited by HantsRob

7 minutes ago, London Best said:

In my reply I had not even considered clay shooting.

I guess the folk that want or expect to fire off 100 or 200 every time they go out don’t want boxes of 25.

I genuinely like seeing a view from another side. The thought of only taking 5-6 cartridges out in my pocket is beyond alien! :D

On 10/10/2022 at 20:56, Minky said:

The all plastic one looks very similar to the all plastic Rotweill special MK2. from the early 80s. In fact I typed it in to Google and this came up. And the red cartridge pictured here is a Hitech.  I shot a lot of the Rottweil.  They came in a small cardboard box like a suitcase.  200 loose pack.  Somewhere in the odds I have one.  completely all plastic.  There was never any problem with the rim pulling off or cracking.  over the years I have been given a lot of cartridges by people who are packing up or have passed on.  In amongst these have been all sorts of very old stuff.  I shoot them off.  A cartridge is a cartridge and when they were new the person who bought them ,shot them.  Most do go off and do the business.  The ones that don't go off have primers that have deteriorated   I strip them down for the components.  The powder always burns but the primers don't go off.  I have shot cartridges that have been really rusty and in a terrible condition but if they chamber they either go off or they don't.

image.png.191f0ee85bbfb906946f28244812aa8f.png

Hi Minky

Thanks for the info, been cleaning all my cartridges out and found these at bottom of my locker, shoot steel now for the last five years.

14 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

So you pamper to the whims of your loaders 

its no wonder the country is in a state 🙄😉

I like my Loaders to be efficient, very efficient!  :cool1:

9 hours ago, HantsRob said:

I think it's more I am surprised some don't sell by a box of 250, rather than a box of 10x25.

Rottweil used to sell cardboard boxes of 200 loose 12 bore cartridges and Gamebore used to sell 25s wrapped in plastic.

Modern thinking is that cardboard is better than plastic.

10 hours ago, Pushandpull said:

Different times.  No one bought more than a box back then.  No one had fridges let alone freezers so they only shot what they could eat or sell. No one shot clays.  Can't eat clays.  Different times.

Edit.  The other day whilst lòking for a box of older left overs with at least one Rottweil all plastic.  I came across one of the Rottweil cardboard suitcase boxes of 250 cartridges. But not filled with the Rottweil cartridges.   Boxes of 25.....  Winchester GB's.  I'd forgotten about them completely. Along with a LOT of stuff. I just bought stuff. I hope we don't have a fire.

Edited by Minky

• 1 month later...
On 09/10/2022 at 18:26, Lever357 said:

The Gamebore HiTech are from the late 80s. They did an all red version for clays, I have a full box of those. The all new fully plastic case was meant to be the way forward but it never took off. I think it was a company called Activ that made them.

Rottweil also did the same all plastic carts, neve.r took off and I think the cases were separating when fired, occasionally. That was in my youth early eighties. as mentioned in post above.

Love the old stuff! are cartridge collectors fairs / meets still a thing? went to one in marlborough, would have been eighties sometime. As they cant be posted, collecting can be hard work. I have a small collection of mostly paper carts, but also a few eighties plastic ones from memory lane.