Dirty Doner

Jonty

Living in the sticks, I do miss stumbling home from the pub leaving a little trail of cabbage salad bending me as I scoff a doner kebab.  Last night I had some mates round so we could spend some quality time together so I thought I’d have a go at making a miniature elephants leg.  It was incredibly easy, just mix spices with the lamb mince, roll in a foil ‘sausage’ and bake in the oven.  I must admit there was some drunken blow torch activity involved in getting a nice char - but it was great fun.  Well worth a go.

9ED8F3DE-BE01-4970-A5BB-4B05F50170D2.jpeg

4223F482-14B7-443E-93DC-53B5E8D5E455.jpeg

AF3151D4-8ADD-46E3-A246-BEEA544932A9.jpeg

29F20C7B-C2E8-43F0-9F7D-D2B22FE7D015.jpeg

5E9021D0-A130-4CE9-9232-3899D2616897.jpeg

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

What spices did you use, I've tried just about every combination in the past and nothing comes near.We ended up buying doner meat in Iceland in the end. 

1 hour ago, Fatcatsplat said:

Looks excellent - And crucial sauces are always a good shout (Also love the kegerator - You running a couple of corny kegs?)

Edit - Have you got a recipe please?

Gladly, I looked at a few recipes online and went with what I could see was the common theme, I used:

1kg of 15% fat lamb mince

1tspn salt

2 tspn ground cumin

2 tspn ground corriander

2 tspn paprika

2 tspn dried oregano

1 tspn onion powder

1 tspn chilli powder

I added all the spices etc to the meat and really worked it till it changed texture slightly.  Rolled it in foil and in the oven on a trivet at 200C until the meat hit 75C - which took maybe 45 mins.

@Fatcatsplat thanks - it was a 'free to a good home' freezer so It ain't pretty but I'm more concerned about what's coming out of it!! I've got 4 x cornies and 2 x pins, a firkin and 2 x angram hand pumps.  Most beer gets kegged unless I'm having a party where I know we will get through a barrel with a hand pump (which is much more fun in my opinion).

On 15/10/2022 at 17:12, Jonty said:

@Fatcatsplat thanks - it was a 'free to a good home' freezer so It ain't pretty but I'm more concerned about what's coming out of it!! I've got 4 x cornies and 2 x pins, a firkin and 2 x angram hand pumps.  Most beer gets kegged unless I'm having a party where I know we will get through a barrel with a hand pump (which is much more fun in my opinion).

Party round yours it is then!!!

1 x 500grm pack of lamb mince into liquidiser ( as Jonty suggested to change the consistancy ) added 1 pack of keeeeeebab spices as in photo.

As we are al on a learning curve, I opted for a square rather than round and into the oven tonight and am going to let it cool tonight, slice tomorrow and put under the grill to achieve the char

IMG_0420.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/10/2022 at 14:23, mgsontour said:

1 x 500grm pack of lamb mince into liquidiser ( as Jonty suggested to change the consistancy ) added 1 pack of keeeeeebab spices as in photo.

As we are al on a learning curve, I opted for a square rather than round and into the oven tonight and am going to let it cool tonight, slice tomorrow and put under the grill to achieve the char

well..........?

• 3 months later...
On 15/10/2022 at 10:42, Jonty said:

Living in the sticks, I do miss stumbling home from the pub leaving a little trail of cabbage salad bending me as I scoff a doner kebab.  Last night I had some mates round so we could spend some quality time together so I thought I’d have a go at making a miniature elephants leg.  It was incredibly easy, just mix spices with the lamb mince, roll in a foil ‘sausage’ and bake in the oven.  I must admit there was some drunken blow torch activity involved in getting a nice char - but it was great fun.  Well worth a go.

9ED8F3DE-BE01-4970-A5BB-4B05F50170D2.jpeg

4223F482-14B7-443E-93DC-53B5E8D5E455.jpeg

AF3151D4-8ADD-46E3-A246-BEEA544932A9.jpeg

29F20C7B-C2E8-43F0-9F7D-D2B22FE7D015.jpeg

5E9021D0-A130-4CE9-9232-3899D2616897.jpeg

Going for round 2 this weekend with the rugby me thinks, as came across some lamb mince today