Are zoli really that bad?

keeper96

I had a Zoli years ago, they are very well made,but like you I couldn't hit much, but I hadn't been shooting for long, whereas my mate couldn't miss with it, in America they are as well respected as any of the UK favourite brands, the UK are really in the Beretta/Browning camp. It does mean that is you buy any other brands you are likely to get punished if you try to sell on. I have a Fabarm XLR Velocity, it is a much better gun than any of the Beretta autos I've owned, I couldn't give it away (not that I want to) and  everyone who trys it is always surprised how good it is, and it's HP steel proofed to full choke 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 hours ago, keeper96 said:

I paid £1800 for this last august and can’t even get near £1000 for it now, it’s crazy 

In real terms then:

The dealer paid around £900, made the usual 80 - 90% mark up then VAT. So for a trade in for the dealer to make  profit your gun is worth maybe £400 in as new condition for him to resell with possibly a 3 month warranty for £950. He may have it on the shelf for months or years.

40 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

In real terms then:

The dealer paid around £900, made the usual 80 - 90% mark up then VAT. So for a trade in for the dealer to make  profit your gun is worth maybe £400 in as new condition for him to resell with possibly a 3 month warranty for £950. He may have it on the shelf for months or years.

What colour is the sky in your world? Those numbers are so far wide of the mark they are laughable

43 minutes ago, Wylye said:

What colour is the sky in your world? Those numbers are so far wide of the mark they are laughable

Not too sure about that. Buying at £900 and selling at £1800 or buying at £400 and selling at £950 seems correct. I initially wrote 'about right' but that is ambiguous and far from 'right'.

I traded in a beretta a few months back against a new gun. It was on the shelf with a for sale tag before I'd left the premises.

I got £900 for it and it was for sale at £1195.  Given the 20% VAT they had marked it up by £95 or 10% or so.

I will accept that it was a trade in though so they were more than likely prepared to cut a whole lot off to get a new gun sale at 25-35%.

I first bought a Zoli ( Golden Falcon ) from Fawcetts of Lancaster many moons ago. He was a dealer for them back then and the Zoli was more or less the same price of the new ( back then ) Browning 425 G1 which in hindsight would have been the better option. 
Anyhow, it was good enough gun but never had the kudos or the handleability of the Browning. I eventually traded it in for a Winchester 101. 
I never really heard much about Zoli again until I attended an open day at Gardners Guns, where they were promoting the new Beretta 692 and the new Zoli ( Kronos?). 
I’ve never been a great fan of any of the 6 series Beretta guns anyhow, but I’ll have a go with anything which goes bang! 🙂

The Zoli was much nicer to shoot and oozed quality compared to the Beretta, and I enjoyed a good time with it under the tuition of a young woman sponsored by Zoli at that time.  
Quality bits of kit in my opinion, but there again so are Gamba, and they don’t have a following either. My Daytona is comparable to anything Perazzi could create from the same period. 

2 hours ago, Scully said:

I first bought a Zoli ( Golden Falcon ) from Fawcetts of Lancaster many moons ago. He was a dealer for them back then and the Zoli was more or less the same price of the new ( back then ) Browning 425 G1 which in hindsight would have been the better option. 
Anyhow, it was good enough gun but never had the kudos or the handleability of the Browning. I eventually traded it in for a Winchester 101. 
I never really heard much about Zoli again until I attended an open day at Gardners Guns, where they were promoting the new Beretta 692 and the new Zoli ( Kronos?). 
I’ve never been a great fan of any of the 6 series Beretta guns anyhow, but I’ll have a go with anything which goes bang! 🙂

The Zoli was much nicer to shoot and oozed quality compared to the Beretta, and I enjoyed a good time with it under the tuition of a young woman sponsored by Zoli at that time.  
Quality bits of kit in my opinion, but there again so are Gamba, and they don’t have a following either. My Daytona is comparable to anything Perazzi could create from the same period. 

I recently bought a Zoli Kronos and as you say it is a quality gun, very well finished inside and out. I was happy that the balance of the gun is smack on the hinge pin at 8lbs 4oz. It's the only gun in recent years that I've not had to put about 4oz in the stock to make it feel good to handle.

It's the softest shooting O/U I've ever owned. I used to shoot a 9lb K80 which was quite soft to shoot but the Kronos is excellent, it's just a shame the "trade" does not like them.

I'm not bothered about the resale value either 😃

49 minutes ago, BlaserF3 said:

I recently bought a Zoli Kronos and as you say it is a quality gun, very well finished inside and out. I was happy that the balance of the gun is smack on the hinge pin at 8lbs 4oz. It's the only gun in recent years that I've not had to put about 4oz in the stock to make it feel good to handle.

It's the softest shooting O/U I've ever owned. I used to shoot a 9lb K80 which was quite soft to shoot but the Kronos is excellent, it's just a shame the "trade" does not like them.

I'm not bothered about the resale value either 😃

That’s the thing….resale has never been a thought with any gun I’ve ever bought. 
There are some truly superb guns out there for those who aren’t bothered about trends, warranties and now steel shot proofing. 
Salvinelli make some guns very similar in style and quality to high grade Renato Gamba, but I’ve never seen one, and my Daytona was the first I’d ever seen! I haven’t seen another since. 

Well I for one am very happy the market doesn’t rate them as I have got both Salvanelli and a Zoli  and in terms of quality paid peanuts and have no intention of selling either so resale value is of no importance 

I like them that much may look to get another in the future, a wee Zoli 20 would be very nice addition 

1 hour ago, button said:

Well I for one am very happy the market doesn’t rate them as I have got both Salvanelli and a Zoli  and in terms of quality paid peanuts and have no intention of selling either so resale value is of no importance 

I like them that much may look to get another in the future, a wee Zoli 20 would be very nice addition 

Or a wee Chapuis 12 with all the 12 bore advantages but with the weight of a 20.

I’ve owned a Zoli Golden Falcon for many years and it will outlive me.

I shoot well with it and wouldn’t think of parting with it.

The only problem I have had with it, was a crack developed near the stock to metal fit after many years of use.

I contacted UK Gun Repairs and took the gun into be repaired a few days later.

The crack was pinned and glued and some wood removed from inside where the fit was tight causing the problem.

I know of 3 different shooters who own a Zoli, which have developed cracks in the stocks.

All being said , some of the more expensive guns develop cracks and problems.

6 hours ago, button said:

👍