This dinner may not be for everyone but I thought that it was 😋😋😋😋😋

Cooked chicken £4.50p from Lidl

Potatoes 99p farmfoods 

Carrots 25p Asda

Frozen Yorkshire puddings 50p Asda

Broccoli 69p Asda

Sweetheart cabbage £1 from co op.

Couple of spoon fulls of gravy granules 

Total cost about eight quid give or take....

This will last me and my Mrs 2 good meals and I may easily get another meal x 2 or fry up and piccalilli. (6 meals)

So roughly £1.33p per meal, I bet a big Mac is more than that.

Screenshot_20221204_174320_Gallery.jpg

6 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Folks say it's heat or eat.

This dinner may not be for everyone but I thought that it was 😋😋😋😋😋

Cooked chicken £4.50p from Lidl

Potatoes 99p farmfoods 

Carrots 25p Asda

Frozen Yorkshire puddings 50p Asda

Broccoli 69p Asda

Sweetheart cabbage £1 from co op.

Couple of spoon fulls of gravy granules 

Total cost about eight quid give or take....

This will last me and my Mrs 2 good meals and I may easily get another meal x 2 or fry up and piccalilli. (6 meals)

So roughly £1.33p per meal, I bet a big Mac is more than that.

Screenshot_20221204_174320_Gallery.jpg

Just what I could do with after a day out in the cold Harry , mind you , we must be wimps in the flat lands as there is no way we could eat four Yorkshires and all the trimmings 😋

Log burner on most evenings . Warms my whole house for free .

Just stripped out a load of old floorboards from a house I'm working on. Should keep me going most of the winter .Nice and toasty .

It cost me 2k to install last year .with gas prices  at the  mo I should get my money back in a couple of years .and hopefully keep us warm for the next few decades  .

4 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Just stripped out a load of old floorboards from a house I'm working on. Should keep me going most of the winter .Nice and toasty .

It cost me 2k to install last year .with gas prices  at the  mo I should get my money back in a couple of years .and hopefully keep us warm for the next few decades  .

👍👍👍

27 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Looks bloody good to me.  :good:

👍👍👍😋😋

24 minutes ago, London Best said:

Yeah!
We eat proper food in Derbyshire, none of that Dago rubbish.

🤣🤣 not heard that term for a while but yes 🙌 👏 

19 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Yep, had friends in for lunch yesterday so lit both log burners and only put the central heating on for an hour first thing. The old house was still warm at 10pm when I retired to my pillow.  Even if like me you get offered lots of logs for free there is still the cost of chainsaw fuel and transport but no where near the cost of a tank of fuel oil.

We had Pheasant breasts in Orange and Cider sauce yesterday, awesome with five choices of sweets to follow.  I purchased a little tool which slices thin layers of the whole length of a cucumber and then I mix up something and roll it in the cucmber. Yesterday the starter was chopped smoked salmon and cream cheese wrapped in these strips of cucumber on a bed of lettuce. There was non left to photograph. 

8 hours ago, Gameking said:

Sunday dinner - Roe and Kidney pie with creamed leeks . You will notice that I got the 'back end' of the deer 🙄

That's the half of the pie with the Kidney 😋

IMG_20221204_184729_resized_20221205_090020508 Roe and kidney dec 22.jpg

IMG_20221204_185107_resized_20221205_090020832 roe &K dec 2022.jpg

Very nice 👌 

4 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Yep, had friends in for lunch yesterday so lit both log burners and only put the central heating on for an hour first thing. The old house was still warm at 10pm when I retired to my pillow.  Even if like me you get offered lots of logs for free there is still the cost of chainsaw fuel and transport but no where near the cost of a tank of fuel oil.

We had Pheasant breasts in Orange and Cider sauce yesterday, awesome with five choices of sweets to follow.  I purchased a little tool which slices thin layers of the whole length of a cucumber and then I mix up something and roll it in the cucmber. Yesterday the starter was chopped smoked salmon and cream cheese wrapped in these strips of cucumber on a bed of lettuce. There was non left to photograph. 

I will have to come around for tea one day 😋😋😋😋😋😋👍👍👍👍👍sounds delicious 

4 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I recon I would sooner have a invite to one of your dinner parties than a invite on a 150 bird day in our fine county , you can always shoot a few long tails where your dinner party would be a one off 😋

49 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

I've had chicken dinner again, got to say though roast tatties are better on the day than next day.

Screenshot_20221205_174103_Gallery.jpg

I can imagine it taste as nice as it look , Tell me Harry , early days yet but what is on the menu for the big day ?

Tell yer what we have got for tea tonight , two large Lemon soles in bread crumbs , bought the two for just over £5 that were reduced from about £15 in Waitrose yesterday , that's this weeks spending money gone for a burton :lol:

Funny thread this is. . . . .

Firstly I totally agree with it can be economical to eat 'great food' if you know how to simply cook.

But ironically I pushed the boat out a couple of weeks ago and bought an old dark rib of beef from my butcher for a Sunday roast, cost was £60.

I made yorkies, roast pots, parsnips, whole onions. Served with home made gravy and carrot and swede mash. A meal for a king!

Monday was warmed up leftovers, I then made a stew and a curry with the rest of the beef.

Without even doing the mathematics I made lots of gorgeous, top quality meals all for the basic cost of about £70 which made my tummy and mind feel greaaaaaaaaaat

44 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I recon I would sooner have a invite to one of your dinner parties than a invite on a 150 bird day in our fine county , you can always shoot a few long tails where your dinner party would be a one off 😋

I can imagine it taste as nice as it look , Tell me Harry , early days yet but what is on the menu for the big day ?

Tell yer what we have got for tea tonight , two large Lemon soles in bread crumbs , bought the two for just over £5 that were reduced from about £15 in Waitrose yesterday , that's this weeks spending money gone for a burton :lol:

SAM-6306.jpg

21 minutes ago, marsh man said:

SAM-6306.jpg

I also love fish 🐟 😋😋😋😋😋😋😋

26 minutes ago, London Best said:

Christmas Day here will be four ribs of beef on the bone, cooked as one joint. It will feed six of us easily. (probably for days!)
Cost me a Fallow pricket.

Lovely 👍 

43 minutes ago, mgsontour said:

Funny thread this is. . . . .

Firstly I totally agree with it can be economical to eat 'great food' if you know how to simply cook.

But ironically I pushed the boat out a couple of weeks ago and bought an old dark rib of beef from my butcher for a Sunday roast, cost was £60.

I made yorkies, roast pots, parsnips, whole onions. Served with home made gravy and carrot and swede mash. A meal for a king!

Monday was warmed up leftovers, I then made a stew and a curry with the rest of the beef.

Without even doing the mathematics I made lots of gorgeous, top quality meals all for the basic cost of about £70 which made my tummy and mind feel greaaaaaaaaaat

Very nice 👌 😋😋

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

We are away with all the family 👪 😉😉

3 minutes ago, ditchman said:

proper bit of fish......and proper bloody chips....did you squeeze a bit of lemon over it...........

that is proper fish and chips

No , we didn't have any Lemon , a pinch of salt and a drop of mustard vinegar , then the demolition squad went to work , the site was very soon cleared with nothing left behind , 😋

Later on during the week we have got a nice bit of smoked Haddock , that will have fresh veg to go with it instead of chips .:drinks:

13 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I normally would not take gravy with my meal billy BUT my pheasant done in orange and cider produces a thick sauce and that is not to be missed.

Ummmmm, maybe you could share the recipe with us if you get a moment or shall I just drop in on speck with a bottle of wine!

15 hours ago, London Best said:

Christmas Day here will be four ribs of beef on the bone, cooked as one joint. It will feed six of us easily. (probably for days!)
Cost me a Fallow pricket.

Nice one:good:

1 hour ago, mgsontour said:

Ummmmm, maybe you could share the recipe with us if you get a moment or shall I just drop in on speck with a bottle of wine!

Buy Game Cookery by Nichola Cox it is in there along with some awesome ideas.