Woodcock

Dave at kelton

So before our local shoot yesterday we agreed no woodcock or snipe. In all we had five drives from small woods Every single drive produced at least a dozen shootable woodcock. We have never seen this many plus a few snipe out with their usual place. We can only assume we had a significant fall of birds under the full moon. Combined with the hard weather this is unprecedented on our small syndicate shoot.

Has anyone else noticed an increase in numbers of woodcock on the West Coast?

Yes a big fall of woodcock this year. They must have had a good breeding year. There were also good easterlies during the full moon phase. 

The snipe have had a hard time recently, I personally haven’t shot them, but the woodcock (in my area at least) are in fine condition. You can tell when they are getting desperate, as they move during full daylight to find the odd few areas of soft ground. The snipe have been doing this, but not the woodcock yet. 

Back to milder weather tomorrow anyway. 

I'm shooting mainly North Leicestershire so Midlands and we are seeing the usual numbers. All agree to only shoot one if you want to eat it otherwise eave it alone.

However having had the opportunity to shoot dedicated woodcock shoots  along the west coast of Cumbria and Scotland about this time of year in the past, then I see no reason not to harvest a few but again only as long as they are going to be used.

8 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I'm shooting mainly North Leicestershire so Midlands and we are seeing the usual numbers. All agree to only shoot one if you want to eat it otherwise eave it alone.

However having had the opportunity to shoot dedicated woodcock shoots  along the west coast of Cumbria and Scotland about this time of year in the past, then I see no reason not to harvest a few but again only as long as they are going to be used.

We laid off due to the very hard conditions here and ongoing even today. Our rule is though the same. Only shoot if you are going to eat them! A number of our members don’t but I am happy to.

I don’t know what all the Packhamesque fuss is about - re shooting woodcock generally. The declines of UK nesting pairs are in the South East. The northern UK breeding pairs are stable - as is the whole Eurasian population. I’m not sure I would shoot one in Essex or Kent, but once the migrants are here in the north, there really isn’t an issue. As Dave at Kelton says, shoot one if you’re going to eat it. Seems like a sensible approach. 

I am in fife, we have had a period of freezing conditions for a week or so. We had heavy snow fall on Friday morning and in the grey dark at work we had the plant lights on. As we stood and talked we saw a woodcock 3 times fly in to 3 separate lights. It was attracted to them like a moth. We later found it in the workshop. Never seen any thing like it.

edited to say lots of woodcock in my area of fife.

Edited by edenman

1 hour ago, Fellside said:

I don’t know what all the Packhamesque fuss is about - re shooting woodcock generally. The declines of UK nesting pairs are in the South East. The northern UK breeding pairs are stable - as is the whole Eurasian population. I’m not sure I would shoot one in Essex or Kent, but once the migrants are here in the north, there really isn’t an issue. As Dave at Kelton says, shoot one if you’re going to eat it. Seems like a sensible approach. 

This. Each to their own. If you want to shot them then do so, as long as they’re eaten I don’t see it being a  problem; nothing to do with being ‘sensible’. 🥱

3 hours ago, RCB56 said:

Just a thought, how do you identify migrant birds, do they come over the Channel in boats with suitcases under their wings. 

You don’t need to have a chat with one to test its accent. Just shoot them. You have a 2% chance of shooting a native UK bird after the November moon: statistically insignificant. Too many people are being suckered by the Packham/RSPB propaganda. 

2 of us spent 3 hours last Sat hunting woodcock with my two labs.  Rose over 40 in that time. 

The guy I was with managed to excel himself by missing his first 9 shots and eventually connecting on his 10th. 

Birds were all in good condition and fat when plucked.Didn't see any pitch back in which you often do when they are just in or out of condition.

• 2 weeks later...

In the east Us We had a very good Fall Of Woodcock this year. I moved 12 last week in one of my favorite spots. this week I was a little late getting to my spot and a fellow with a good looking setter got there first and Most had moved on further south.

Woodcock today.jpg

Edited by simcgunner