Strange sentencing

Rewulf

Just now, Jaymo said:

Please tell me that you all don’t think him and his behaviour is ‘normal’ ( even for shooting folk)? 

No I wasn’t saying I thought anything specifically in that case just that I try not to be prejudiced even though I recognise it’s kinda inherently built into humans to be prejudiced 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I wasn’t saying I thought anything specifically in that case just that I try not to be prejudiced even though I recognise it’s kinda inherently built into humans to be prejudiced 

You can speak about your own prejudice, but please don't make assumptions about the rest of the human race.

1 minute ago, Gordon R said:

You can speak about your own prejudice, but please don't make assumptions about the rest of the human race.

I wasn’t making assumptions I was talking about science and evolution 

Everyone has a flight or fight reaction in some people it’s more flight in some people it’s more fight but it’s based on our view of the situation and everyone has some kind of things that they’ll react to more than others

Everyone has a flight or fight reaction in some people it’s more flight in some people it’s more fight but it’s based on our view of the situation and everyone has some kind of things that they’ll react to more than others

What has fight or flight got to do with prejudice?

1 hour ago, enfieldspares said:

What surprises me in fact is that the guy was lawfully allowed a holding of two thousand rounds of .22LR as I'd thought that such large amounts were long gone and the usual limit was around six hundred (plus a few more) to about a thousand to allow a brick of five hundred to be bought as the other one is used up. 

I thought it was normal for people to hold over 2000 rounds if you have good reason to do so. A gallery rifle shooter could get through 500 rounds in a weekend, if you hold more than one .22 you my need different types of ammo in each, then you might use hollow point ammo some times, 22 shorts another etc, etc.

Edited by Windswept

Just now, Gordon R said:

What has fight or flight got to do with prejudice?

Fight or flight instinct is triggered by feeling uncomfortable with a situation it’s built into lots of mammals, when assessing how uncomfortable you are with any given situation it’s highly likely any perceived danger will drive that 

In the context of you might be more prejudiced that a situation is dangerous if it’s at night in an area you are unfamiliar with compared to in the day when you know the area

What I’m trying to say probably not very succinctly is that there’s prejudicial behaviour patterns built into our DNA and that we can potentially extend our prejudices to people we see as odd, which is why the media play on such 

4 hours ago, Rewulf said:

They both had illegal sec 5 firearms, they both deserve min 5 year terms, no argument from me there. 

However, one had a shed load of drugs, cash and drug dealing equipment, plus the use of a loaded sec 5 handgun to back his empire up? 

Who is the greater threat? 

One of them is probably only a threat to other drug dealers.

The other one is either a harmless gun obsessed eccentric, or...  A potential killer with the right "trigger" (excuse the pun), wife leaves, sacked from job, everyone's out to get me, that sort of thing.

However it does seem that Plod went out of their way to show him rightly or wrongly as the latter.

I must say, my first thoughts somewhat mirrored Rewulf's op, then I started thinking, potential Michael Ryan?

I wouldn't want either of them as a neighbour though.

2 hours ago, Wymondley said:

I must say, my first thoughts somewhat mirrored Rewulf's op, then I started thinking, potential Michael Ryan?

You might find that because of the small handful of historic mass shooters in the UK, the vast majority of the population see us ALL as potential Ryan's. 

Clearly, we are not. 

2 hours ago, Wymondley said:

One of them is probably only a threat to other drug dealers

Just to reiterate my position, and as per the threads title, my view is not that Mr pepper got a harsh sentence, it was very fair. Its that Mr drug dealer, with glock, got an unduly lenient one. 

Just his drug dealing activities alone, should have got him 5+, the gun should have got him 5+ more. 

Plus to say he's only a threat to other drugs dealers? With respect, really? 

The nature of dealing class A drugs, and users of such, begets more crime, and misery by its very nature, even if he's only defending his 'turf'? What about Innocent bystanders, customers who don't pay their bill. 

Recent events have demonstrated how innocents have lost their lives, due to the machinations of such people, yet the judicial system seems indifferent and won't make examples. 

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

Just to reiterate my position, and as per the threads title, my view is not that Mr pepper got a harsh sentence, it was very fair. Its that Mr drug dealer, with glock, got an unduly lenient one. 

Just his drug dealing activities alone, should have got him 5+, the gun should have got him 5+ more. 

Agreed.

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

Plus to say he's only a threat to other drugs dealers? With respect, really? 

OK, "perceived" threat.

Again I agree the bigger picture is somewhat different.

I don't understand why general drug use and dealing has become so acceptable.

2 minutes ago, Wymondley said:

don't understand why general drug use and dealing has become so acceptable.

Me neither, considering the violence, thefts, misery and death it causes. 

Cannabis, though I'm no fan of it personally, does tend to gateway youth into harder stuff, class A s and the 'business' around it, causes untold damage. 

And should be punished far harder. 

30 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Me neither, considering the violence, thefts, misery and death it causes. 

Cannabis, though I'm no fan of it personally, does tend to gateway youth into harder stuff, class A s and the 'business' around it, causes untold damage. 

And should be punished far harder. 

I don’t like cannabis either, I think it smells horrendous. However, it is objectively less harmful to consume than tobacco, and far less addictive than nicotine.

1 hour ago, Genghis said:

and far less addictive than nicotine

Not sure where that idea comes from, it's generally mixed with tobacco to smoke in a joint. 

Those who take it neat, are in for a pretty strong experience! 

Unless of course you're a regular user, but then an alcoholic doesn't really feel the effects of large quantities of a drink, but it's certainly no less harmful, addiction wise, no real evidence to suggest it is physically, like nicotine, but it's extremely habit forming from experience of those I know. 

I can safely say, I don't know anyone who has 'given it up' those that start, never seem to stop. 

28 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

I shouldn't need to explain, it is laughable. PS You have cornered the market in "cute remarks", albeit not successfully. 🙂

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2012/01/98519/marijuana-shown-be-less-damaging-lungs-tobacco

There are more studies which point to tobacco to be more harmful to the lungs than cannabis, as well as containing more carcinogens.

Your remark was classless and rude, which is why it was met with hostility. Either you’re so used to interacting with others behind a keyboard that you’ve forgotten basic manners, or you were raised without learning such manners in the first place.

Your remark was classless and rude, which is why it was met with hostility. Either you’re so used to interacting with others behind a keyboard that you’ve forgotten basic manners, or you were raised without learning such manners in the first place.

You resort to hostility with the ease of the village idiot. 

Lung Risks From Smoking Marijuana May Be Worse Than Cigarettes: Study | Kaiser Health News (khn.org)

Comparing cannabis with tobacco - PMC (nih.gov)

11 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Not sure where that idea comes from, it's generally mixed with tobacco to smoke in a joint. 

Those who take it neat, are in for a pretty strong experience! 

Unless of course you're a regular user, but then an alcoholic doesn't really feel the effects of large quantities of a drink, but it's certainly no less harmful, addiction wise, no real evidence to suggest it is physically, like nicotine, but it's extremely habit forming from experience of those I know. 

I can safely say, I don't know anyone who has 'given it up' those that start, never seem to stop. 

I smoked cigarettes for most of my life and was into spliffs on a fairly regular basis at one time. I also liked copious amounts of alcohol. 
I stopped smoking shortly after my kids were born, so the spliffs went the same way, as did the drink to a greater extent. 
I still enjoy the odd drink but don’t like being drunk so it’s just a pint or two for the craic early doors and then home now, and whereas even in the days I drank to extremes I never ever had drink in the house. 
I was addicted to nicotine, as that is what smoking is, drug addiction. I’ve never been addicted to drink, but know quite a few who are, or were, and in my opinion it’s one of the most destructive drugs out there. 
I’ve met many an aggressive drunk, and indeed in my younger days was one, but I was also a very unhappy youth anyhow, so didn’t really need the drink, but have never met an aggressive spliff smoker.
Amongst the alcoholics I have experience of, it has had a totally destructive and detrimental effect, not just physically but also on their lifestyle and relationships with others, including spouse and children. Divorce, separation, accidents, lost jobs, crime, yellow skin to go with purple noses, disabilities and amputations. I know of one lady who fell down stairs and died as a result, and a close drinking friend of hers choked to death on her own vomit one night in her sleep. Another bloke I know drowned in his own bath. 
The effect alcohol addiction of a sister had on my OH, her siblings and parents was truly abysmal and went on for years. Rushed trips to A&E wards at all times of day or night after countless falls ( from abrasions to broken bones including a fractured skull and eye socket ) latterly when Dr’s stated she would be lucky to ‘survive this one’ ; Police knocking on the door after she’d been breathalysed yet again; finding her accommodation after yet another landlord had evicted her, and on it went, day after week after month after year, until she was found dead one morning in a pool of her own blood and vomit after her sarcophagus finally gave up and burst.  A truly horrific way to go. Her family take solace in the fact she was probably so far out of it she knew little of it. 
And we claim smoking is anti-social!! 😀
I think it was some Chief inspector who claimed that if alcohol was introduced today it would immediately be banned as a Class A drug. I think he could be right. 

36 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

I don’t suffer fools, as you made apparent that you were. Conduct yourself with more class in the future.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletter_article/pot-smokers-can-maybe-breathe-a-little-easier

39 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

I will converse with you no more, as you aren't very bright. I'm sure your ego will demand the last word. Time will tell. 🙂

More like that you wanted to make a snarky comment, but you don’t like that someone called you up on it.

No problem with not conversing with you any further. If I wanted to banter back and forth with your sort again, then the circus comes through town often enough.