Losing an old companion

mattyg1086

A good friend of mine and godfafther to one of my girls has had to have his spaniel of 13 or 14+ years put to sleep today. He was a lovely old boy and we used to beat on a local shoot together.  I really liked his dog he was a pain in the backside sometimes. I can't imagine how he is feeling I've had to have one of my staffies put down but my wife had to take her I couldn't do it.   My question for you guys is is there anything I can do.   A bottle of something or just some kind words.    Thanks all

Matty, it pains me to say, you can’t say a word that will make it better. It’s one of those things that comes with having dogs they’re part of our life but we are all of theirs! I’d say get a nice tipple and tell him his dog was a pain in the backside but will be missssed dearly, raise a glass and leave it at that. 

Edited by Spr1985

Just a call to say you are thinking of him is enough Matty remind him of all the good years he had with his best friend and also laugh with him at the stupid things he did that drive you potty you can never replace your dog but you can get another and make a new life bonding friendship I have been there and feel his pain 

9 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

I had to make the decision to have my 17 year old Jack Russell put to sleep, 9 years ago. It was a hard, but right decision to make. Tell your friend to read the poem 'The Last Battle'. 

I kept a footnote I found long ago after reading "The last Battle" which is worth repeating here

Another important piece of information I convey to owners who are struggling during this time is this: In over 14 years of being a veterinarian I have never had an owner tell me that that they regretted the decision to euthanise. Not once.

Grief is different than regret. We all grieve when a loved one is no longer physically present, but once the raw emotions of the immediate loss have passed, owners report a sense of peace, knowing that they were there for their companions when they needed them most. With time, the happy memories of lives shared are what endure.

To quote Dr. Seuss, “Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened.

Unquote

..also, Google "Rainbow Bridge".

More tissues will be required.

Edited by Eyefor

5 hours ago, Eyefor said:

I kept a footnote I found long ago after reading "The last Battle" which is worth repeating here

Another important piece of information I convey to owners who are struggling during this time is this: In over 14 years of being a veterinarian I have never had an owner tell me that that they regretted the decision to euthanise. Not once.

Grief is different than regret. We all grieve when a loved one is no longer physically present, but once the raw emotions of the immediate loss have passed, owners report a sense of peace, knowing that they were there for their companions when they needed them most. With time, the happy memories of lives shared are what endure.

To quote Dr. Seuss, “Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened.

Unquote

..also, Google "Rainbow Bridge".

More tissues will be required.

I can identify with this. 
It's just over 10 years ago that we had to let Mac go. 
The anguish (and conflict within the family) in coming to the decision was hard to bear, but afterward just a sense of relief that we'd done the right thing for him.

11 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

It's the reason I will never have another dog

Agreed 

I lost my 14 and a half year old cocker 18months ago- my daughter sends a daily photo or video on our family WhatsApp. 
Really sorry to hear about your friends dog - I am sure he had a great life and was loved within the family.

I'm 83 and have had, and still got, lots of dogs.   Every single one of them has broken my heart on the final day.   You never get over it.   You just have to put the bad thoughts out of your head and think of the happy days that you have enjoyed together.

I just can't imagine living without a dog.

Edited by Grandalf

1 hour ago, Grandalf said:

I'm 83 and have had, and still got, lots of dogs.   Every single one of them has broken my heart on the final day.   You never get over it.   You just have to put the bad thoughts out of your head and think of the happy days that you have enjoyed together.

I just can't imagine living without a dog.

I've had about 20+ dogs and as above i've been broken hearted when one goes. That's why i always have 2 or 3 because you can

console yourself with the others. I could not be without a dog either. Looking for another whippet , lurcher or terrier now as i'm

down to one which is a Beddy x Whippet.