What’s everyone using for decoying pigeons?

Hi folks

Looking to buy more 12g  pigeon cartridges, and I am surprised how much the price has increased locally.

Cheapest at Bywell shooting ground are Eley pigeon select @ £ 275, I haven’t use them before- I tend to use 1oz no 7.5 but they are a similar price to the pigeon select.

Any recommendation? 

7 minutes ago, London Best said:

If price is a consideration, just buy the cheapest cartridges you can find.

It doesn’t have to say “pigeon” on them, honest. Neither you, nor the pigeons, will know any difference.

Agreed- I tend to go for the cheapest trap loads for decoying- Trust,& prims were my go to loads when they were available. I am currently using the last of my superfast’s and just thought the select would be a good price based option.

26 minutes ago, Krico woodcock said:

Fiocchi f blu trap load .. But them Express 29g  6's pigeon power are sledge hammers, they use to be as cheap as trap cartridges,  but probably crazy money now.  No need for 32g for decoyin pigeons.  

Agreed- I have preferred a trap load through tight chokes. I was taught that pattern was key.

I have also looked at the fiocchi f blu - I might give them a try.

Bywell has Fiocchi superlite 26g no8 quite cheap which would be fine for decoying.

With the varity of cartridges available at various prices you will not get a clear answer , everyones pockets are different , you will get people prepared to pay for the best they can can get and then at the other end of the scale you will people like myself who is looking for a budjet cartridge that will do a reasonable job over decoys and a bit in reserve for the ones that skirt on the outside of the decoys , any 28gm that come up for sale on my doorstep I will buy , if I had to buy any then I was happy with Velocity 28gms , last year I was paying £60 a slab , then when I looked in the shops cartridge cabinet they had some Super fast Pigeon , when I enquired about the price he said I can have a slab for £67 , these were 29gm and a very hard hitting cartridge , light on your shoulder and above all not a bad price , mind you the shop worker was a family distant member so it might had made a difference about the ( normal ) price. :hmm: