Ed Milliband espousing on BBC Breakfast.

TIGHTCHOKE

I think the 'pre-payment' meter can be a sound idea.  They were regularly used in the past, and I can remember having 'shilling in the slot' meters in places we rented on holiday.

I would favour a card system for all benefits which can be used for food, power/energy, accommodation and rent etc, but excluding alcohol, tobacco, vaping etc.  I cannot see why the taxpayer should be picking up peoples bar bills and tobacco bills.  It cannot be that difficult as all shops now have sophisticated card payment and loyalty card schemes. 

6 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

Kier Starmer and Laura Kuenssberg    Need I say more

The Leader of the Labour party interviewed by the Leader of the Opposition.

Edited by JohnfromUK

19 hours ago, Minky said:

Is that similar to kicking your own back door in.? Was that Bradford  Dave.? 

Please don't smear the honourable Yorkshire city of Bradford with the monika of the lunatic, door-kicking in, "Burnley Dave".

8 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

The Leader of the Labour party interviewed by the Leader of the Opposition.

😂

8 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

I would favour a card system for all benefits which can be used for food, power/energy, accommodation and rent etc, but excluding alcohol, tobacco, vaping etc.  I cannot see why the taxpayer should be picking up peoples bar bills and tobacco bills.  It cannot be that difficult as all shops now have sophisticated card payment and loyalty card schemes. 

It's called a centralised digital currency.  I respectfully suggest you do some googling...Mostly it's a hard no because of the "thin end of the wedge" argument - After all, if people on JSA can use it, why shouldn't the rest of the population.  Oh, you want to buy alcohol with your own money?  Sorry, that's bad for you, can't have that.  We know best.  And as for shotgun cartridges, tsk tsk, most certainly not.

Fortunately the biggest advocate for a centralised digital currency in the UK was some politician called Rishi Sunak.  Fortunately, he's about as electable as Ed Milliband, so we've nothing to be worried ab....oh, wait.  Davos is going to be interesting this year, that's for sure.  Yes, Henry, my tinfoil hat fits perfectly, thank you.

We need to keep Ed Milliband appearing on TV as much as possible because he shows the Labour Party up for what it really is. 

A load of political light weights who couldn't run a chip shop much less the country.

I'm not really impressed with the Conservatives either but when I see the likes of Milliband, Starmer and Raynor being interviewed I just cringe at how bad they are.

I despair at the political system we have in this country 

39 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

We need to keep Ed Milliband appearing on TV as much as possible because he shows the Labour Party up for what it really is. 

A load of political light weights who couldn't run a chip shop much less the country.

I'm not really impressed with the Conservatives either but when I see the likes of Milliband, Starmer and Raynor being interviewed I just cringe at how bad they are.

I despair at the political system we have in this country 

Yes it does make you wonder who they are paying to coach them?

Some fool is probably making a fortune!

20 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Some fool is probably making a fortune!

If he (or she) is making a fortune from that - they are not a fool.  probably very astute actually, though I suppose the old ditty still applies and both "a fool (and a Politician) and his money are easily parted"

39 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Starmer is cleaver enough to keep the Abbottacus out of official Labour interviews etc.

Just because we don't see her doesn't mean the loonies have gone away.

If we were unfortunate enough to elect a labour government Starmer would be ousted in a very short time and be replaced by someone much more hard left

15 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

If he (or she) is making a fortune from that - they are not a fool.  probably very astute actually, though I suppose the old ditty still applies and both "a fool (and a Politician) and his money are easily parted"

Well, if advising them and making them unelectable at a time when a wet dog might get elected, while the Tories have lost their mojo is very astute, maybe they have a completely different agenda.