Different types Vegetarians

30-6

My conversations with vegetarians and even a vegan I know has really surprised me. Most spoke along the lines that they'd rather see wild animals shot for the food chain than mass production meat that has had no life or in some cases never even been outside. I can't say I disagreed with it to be honest. And at least they are standing by their morel convictions, providing they're not actively disrupting my way of life I really don't care, they are entitled to live however they wish. 

4 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

I said many not all  -  as an example, what would be the response if you went into a vegan eatery and requested  a meat alternative the way many vegans demand a vegan alternative in a general eatery?

Splitting hairs but you said "they do disrupt and many demand all change to their way". 

Either way its certainly not all and most of the vegetarians I know plus one vegan are nice people who would never interfere in others beliefs, they've certainly never attempted to with me. Each to their own I say. 

7 minutes ago, Scully said:

You can have much entertainment online with vegans, especially the rabid type who claim eating meat is ‘murder’. 🙂

😂😂😂

Just now, Yellow Bear said:

I said many not all  -  as an example, what would be the response if you went into a vegan eatery and requested  a meat alternative the way many vegans demand a vegan alternative in a general eatery?

It’s a fair comment really. A veggie friend of my OH once asked why there was only a couple of vegetarian options in the restaurant where she works, and the simple answer is ‘because there’s no demand’. 
The chef could easily creat as many veg’ options as those that weren’t, but at the end of the week most of the veg’ options would be in the bin….because of demand. 
In reality it is a very risky business catering for vegans in a general kitchen due to the possible reasons for that persons veganism and the risk of cross contamination. 

What annoys me is that if you go to a function such as a wedding, for all I have been to there is a vegetarian for those guests who prefer/need vegetarian food - often a vegetarian option and a vegan option if the hosts know that will be supported.  Usually in functions I have attended, the guest specifies on the RSVP which choice they would like if it is a formal meal.  the caterers can then provision accordingly. 

However, for a vegetarian's (vegan in fact) wedding I attended - there was no choice.  Everyone had to eat the vegan food.  Meat eaters were given no 'meat' option.

I found that rather poor.

3 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

What annoys me is that if you go to a function such as a wedding, for all I have been to there is a vegetarian for those guests who prefer/need vegetarian food - often a vegetarian option and a vegan option if the hosts know that will be supported.  Usually in functions I have attended, the guest specifies on the RSVP which choice they would like if it is a formal meal.  the caterers can then provision accordingly. 

However, for a vegetarian's (vegan in fact) wedding I attended - there was no choice.  Everyone had to eat the vegan food.  Meat eaters were given no 'meat' option.

Sounds like a rather passive aggressive thing to do. 

3 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

Sounds like a rather passive aggressive thing to do. 

Well - it makes me somewhat annoyed - and when I have a vegetarian coming to a meal here, I always make sure that there is a suitable dish - cheese, fish, or vegetable based for them.  However, when I go to a vegetarian's house - I can't ever recall being offered a meat based dish.

As a non meat eater, for reasons I explained earlier, I feel I have to defend "vegetarians" in general, It's a diet, not a collective movement that every one belongs to.

People choose to eat a meat free diet for all sorts of reasons, and I would guess it's only a minority that hold extreme views on meat eating.

The three other "vegetarians" I know have no objection to the killing of animals and will happily prepare meat for friends/family.

It's as wrong to stereotype all vegies as animal rights extremists as it is for them to stereotype us all as sadistic killers of wildlife.

8 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Well - it makes me somewhat annoyed - and when I have a vegetarian coming to a meal here, I always make sure that there is a suitable dish - cheese, fish, or vegetable based for them.  However, when I go to a vegetarian's house - I can't ever recall being offered a meat based dish.

Ditto. Yes, it is annoying, especially when you go out of your way to cater to their needs. 

5 minutes ago, Wymondley said:

As a non meat eater, for reasons I explained earlier, I feel I have to defend "vegetarians" in general, It's a diet, not a collective movement that every one belongs to.

People choose to eat a meat free diet for all sorts of reasons, and I would guess it's only a minority that hold extreme views on meat eating.

The three other "vegetarians" I know have no objection to the killing of animals and will happily prepare meat for friends/family.

It's as wrong to stereotype all vegies as animal rights extremists as it is for them to stereotype us all as sadistic killers of wildlife.

Indeed it is wrong;  I’ve never met a vegetarian who objects to me eating meat. 

20 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Unless they are life long vegetarians who don't know how to cook meat or are that revolted by it they can't cook it, I'd find it very rude. 

18 minutes ago, Wymondley said:

Absolutely agree with this, people are people and you get good and bad from all sides of life. Stereotyping people does no good and stereotyping vegetarians or vegans is no better than what some antis do to us. 

10 minutes ago, Wymondley said:

That is perfectly OK and understandable but could you answer two points.

I assume that if you were dining at a friends you would expect a vegetarian  dish to be served to you?

If you were entertaining omnivorous friends would you offer a meat dish?

If the answer to both of these is yes sadly you are in the minority.  We have six or seven non meat eating friends but only one of them would answer the second question with a yes.

I think if some one actively shoots or hunts their own food, probably has more in common with a vegetarian that someone who eats cheap meat from the takeaway or supermarket. 

At least in both situations it is the individual activity making a choice on what they will eat or not based on their own ethics. 

5 minutes ago, joejoe said:

I think if some one actively shoots or hunts their own food, probably has more in common with a vegetarian that someone who eats cheap meat from the takeaway or supermarket. 

At least in both situations it is the individual activity making a choice on what they will eat or not based on their own ethics. 

Funnily enough that's the exact description of how I have found the vegetarians and one vegan I know. I seem to have more in common with them and my way of living than many of my other non shooting friends. 

3 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

That is perfectly OK and understandable but could you answer two points.

I assume that if you were dining at a friends you would expect a vegetarian  dish to be served to you?

If you were entertaining omnivorous friends would you offer a meat dish?

If the answer to both of these is yes sadly you are in the minority.  We have six or seven non meat eating friends but only one of them would answer the second question with a yes.

I don't expect anyone to cater for my diet, unless I'm paying.

I'll quite happily have whatever was being served, just no meat and extra veg.

Yes to the second though, I do a fantastic roast chicken or steak and ale pie as well as pheasant in red wine, take your pick!

I've always cooked meat, just can't eat it as it upsets my stomach so much.

My now adult children always had a choice, both went through vegetarian phases but now eat what I would consider a good balance.

The only thing I ever discouraged them eating was processed junk meat.

I'm a great proponent of game and organically reared meat and encourage people to eat that rather than factory farmed processed stodge.

In fact I think fast/processed food and the factory farming needed for the supply of it has been the cause of much of the backlash against meat and the popularity of vegetarianism.

14 minutes ago, Wymondley said:

I don't expect anyone to cater for my diet

Well within the limitations of my culinary capabilities, if I know in advance, I'm always happy to provide an alternative to suit anyone who has a particular dietary requirement, whether by necessity, choice or religious requirement - and I have always done so willingly.

I remember as a child my parents always having fish (kippers or kedgeree for breakfast and a fish dish for main meal) on a Friday when we had Roman Catholic visitors!  I don't think many people now follow 'no meat' Fridays for religious reasons, but it was quite common then.

Edited by JohnfromUK

10 minutes ago, Wymondley said:

I don't expect anyone to cater for my diet, unless I'm paying.

I'll quite happily have whatever was being served, just no meat and extra veg.

Yes to the second though, I do a fantastic roast chicken or steak and ale pie as well as pheasant in red wine, take your pick!

I've always cooked meat, just can't eat it as it upsets my stomach so much.

My now adult children always had a choice, both went through vegetarian phases but now eat what I would consider a good balance.

The only thing I ever discouraged them eating was processed junk meat.

I'm a great proponent of game and organically reared meat and encourage people to eat that rather than factory farmed processed stodge.

In fact I think fast/processed food and the factory farming needed for the supply of it has been the cause of much of the backlash against meat and the popularity of vegetarianism.

👍 

2 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

There is a wedding in my future. It will be a low key, rustic affair in the countryside with a hog roast and lots of other meat, probably wild game. The invitation will say that vegetarians will have the opportunity to expand their dietary choices 😀

20 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

Unfortunately herein lies the rub in that they do disrupt and many demand all change to their way.  

All promoted by modern social media?

16 hours ago, Houseplant said:

There is a wedding in my future. It will be a low key, rustic affair in the countryside with a hog roast and lots of other meat, probably wild game. The invitation will say that vegetarians will have the opportunity to expand their dietary choices 😀

👍