Log burner question

billytheghillie

5 minutes ago, billytheghillie said:

how do i do that?

small clamp onto the leg of the stove..then drill a hole in the concrete and terminate the stripped wire in the hole ...add some salt and some water and knock a small wooden peg into it.....

that should work

Could it be  something to do with Nylon carpets  and static build up . And you are touching the metal stove.

Perhaps  the stove is  earthed  and the metal is going to ground. I presume  it has a metal handle  as a quick fix could you say wrap it in rubber  and see if the problem goes away . Or  maybe a  rubber backed  rug infront of the fire ,

To be honest I have never heard of anything like this before. 

Maybe rubbed gloves to open the door  

7 hours ago, johnphilip said:

Could it be  something to do with Nylon carpets  and static build up . And you are touching the metal stove.

Perhaps  the stove is  earthed  and the metal is going to ground.

As said above, I think it is you 'charged' and the stove is an earth.  If it is you charged, you would get a similar shock from say a radiator or another firmly earthed conductive item.

If it is you charged, and insulated by (say) a nylon carpet or rubber soled shoes, it indicates a very dry atmosphere.  That does happen in frosty conditions because the moisture in the air is frozen out.  It may get better when the overall (both inside and outside) humidity rises.

16 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

It is already earthed! That's why he's getting a shock.

Change your carpets or your slippers.  Or stop wearing a shell suit.

I agree with these comments. A particular dressing gown that I have causes me to have an electric shock when I remove it. Usually in the bathroom, I hang it on the towel rail and get a belt each time I do. The towel rail is acting as an earth.

15 hours ago, billytheghillie said:

Its a laminate floor around the hearth, and the Mrs also gets zapped when she touches it, cant see any earth wire on it, think i will try Ditchys idea. Or maybe some insulating tape round handle?

It must be earthed  somewhere  or you would not get a belt of  it . What does it stand on . The flu pipe  will, be touching the structure  of the house somewhere witch will take it to earth .  Get some rubber gloves  .