Cartridges prices

When you say it's all a racket what are the profit margins and how do they compare to other consumables? 

With regard to people not being able to afford to go shooting whilst some will give up it does seem that plenty of people can still afford non-essentials. Along with high price rises there are plenty of people who dont necessarily have large outgoings but are getting high pay rises. 

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Might as well bring this up to date.

Hull still haven’t increased prices and when I asked at my local ground today there were no imminent rises coming, doesn’t mean they won’t at some point.

Fiocchi put lite speed up £40/1000 which is ridiculous.

Gamebore have brought a new competition cartridge out £106/250 based on the 1000 price 

Bywell my local commercial ground is a lot quieter on practice days, very quiet.

I had a “discussion” with someone on FB who said if I thought the cartridges were too expensive then find a different hobby.

I tried explaining that if someone has a £100/ month to spend on their hobby, and the price of cartridges goes up, they can’t suddenly find extra to pay for the increase, they shoot less.

In turn profits go down as people buy less cartridges so they put the prices up again to cover the shortfalls.

It’s a vicious circle until the normal working bloke is priced out.

Sad state of affairs 🤦🏻‍♂️

:shaun:

I thought Hull went up 2 weeks ago, my local ground had a letter saying from immediate effect, my usual Pro Ones are 240+ a thousand now. Even what i thought was a budget cartridge Hull Superfast in fibre which a lot of the lads shoot are touching 300 a thousand. Crazy.

38 minutes ago, mpmilo said:

I thought Hull went up 2 weeks ago, my local ground had a letter saying from immediate effect, my usual Pro Ones are 240+ a thousand now. Even what i thought was a budget cartridge Hull Superfast in fibre which a lot of the lads shoot are touching 300 a thousand. Crazy.

They did mate. They all went up. 
also if  you’re paying £240 per /1000 for pro one’s I’ll take 30000 please. They’re nearer £300/1000 now for 28g pro ones. 

Edited by TK421

34 minutes ago, mpmilo said:

We are still paying £246 for plastic or £254 for fibre Superfast 

Maybe when they get a fresh order they will go up 🤷🏻‍♂️

I see they are bringing a 24g Superfast out.

Be interesting to see what the price will be

:shaun:

9 minutes ago, TK421 said:

They did mate. They all went up. 
also if  you’re paying £240 per /1000 for pro one’s I’ll take 30000 please. They’re nearer £300/1000 now for 28g pro ones. 

So would i , should be 3 not a 2 😀  £300 a thousand is a good price, There on JC at £343.

Hull went up 1st March.

I bought 2000 superfast fibre for my son, £508 on 28th Feb. I now use Comp X, they were £488. I can't get Lyalvale superlights anymore near here.

250 x .410 x 11gram x 7s, Hull Clay & Game £86 and to get rid of old stock, 10 mixed odd boxes of .410 plas and fibre mostly 17 & 19gram x 7s/7.5s/6s for £50. Must have been old as some individual boxes marked at £5, others £7.20 and even one at £9.60.

That'll do me for a few months for clays.

Hull Special Pigeon 32 x 6s, £91 and no discount for more than 250. That put them at Sipe 32gram x 5s price.

No idea what they've gone up too. 

Shooting/fishing and Drs is more or less all I leave the house for now, so I've no intention of cutting back.....Yet!

2 hours ago, shaun4860 said:

Not been that cheap round my way for a couple of years

19 hours ago, shaun4860 said:

Not much less for a guess!!!

• 9 months later...
43 minutes ago, London Best said:

Shooters have been complaining about the price of cartridges since the invention of the breech loader.

Shooters have been complaining about price increases since they started increasing prices 😉 

the increases we’ve seen since 2020 have outpaced all other increases by some considerable margin. With lead currently at a relative low, there’s genuinely no need to squeeze the industry any more than it’s already being squeezed. 
the only ones who will ultimately suffer are the clubs and grounds when foot fall drops.

have a look at the profits last year for Gamebore and Hull, they’re far from on the bones of their *****. 

3 minutes ago, TK421 said:

the only ones who will ultimately suffer are the clubs and grounds when foot fall drops.

have a look at the profits last year for Gamebore and Hull, they’re far from on the bones of their *****. 

When footfall drops and people shoot less then the result will be a drop in cartridge sales and subsequent price increases to account for the lower volume of manufacturing.

It's seems to be a spiraling circle that only the manufacturers can control. They'd do well to keep control of their pricing and take a short term hit to secure their future.

The current financial situation will end and people will start spending again but only if they aren't faced with their chosen club cartridge being over £350 per thousand.

3 hours ago, Poor Shot said:

The current financial situation will end and people will start spending again but only if they aren't faced with their chosen club cartridge being over £350 per thousand.

You are wrong I think. 
People will continue to shoot and they will continue to moan about the cost of cartridges.

All cartridges makers seem to be driving £130k Range Rovers and shooting at nice places.

if a cartridge goes to a retailer for say £350 and sells for £380 I’d imagine the maker is producing them for £150 and making £180

Simpy need to mare that sort of profit or they won’t survive

Edited by Fargo

46 minutes ago, Fargo said:

if a cartridge goes to a retailer for say £350 and sells for £380 I’d imagine the maker is producing them for £150 and making £150.

Not even in my head does that man math add up 🤔 

4 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Not even in my head does that man math add up 🤔 

Makers cost £150 I’d imagine

Retail then trade out at £350

Retailers make £30/1000

End up at £380

Yes maths not my strong point and was out by £30 but amended now