223 ammno

snipers eye

hi folks,need some opinions,(will prob get different ones,but here goes)about to pick up a Savage 12 BTCSS Laminate Thumbhole Stainless .223 9 twist rate.its a 

new gun,with a bushnell banner 6-18x50, will be used for long range shots 200 yds plus on bunnies,fox etc, i know not every rifle will like the same rounds,so to start i would get maybe 3 boxes of different ones to try out,but with so many available,im stumped,so asking on here what would be your first 3 boxes of choice to try out,accuracy is important,price per box is not,would be wanting head shots at 200-250 ish yrds,i would imagine 223 capable of that?thanks folks,,,,,,,,title should read 223 ammo

Edited by snipers eye

Hi, a 1 on 9 twist will favour a slightly heavier bullet, but would also depend on the length of your barrel probably a good place to start would be around 60 grains, in my 1 in 9 twist it shoots 55 grain Vmax very well and 60 grain probably slightly better, Nosler 60 grain ballistic tips are good  and nosler 62 grain, varmageddon also good this is out of a 16 inch barrel

hope this helps

All the best sf1

My Howa 223 with a 1:9 twist absolutely loves the 55gr Vmax. 
I have been meaning to try others but I just don’t need it. 
100 yard group with my thermal which isn’t as accurate as a normal scope due to it pixelating at higher mags

image.png.f20031e9ea61ffd54f4d5c3ed9e93e0a.png

I've taken foxes off the sticks standing at 215 yards which in the real world in a muddy field on a cold February night is good enough for me. 

Just buy some cheap ammo for the first 60 or so rounds while  you are shooting in the barrel and getting your scope more or less sighted in at different ranges

You can never go far wrong with privi in my opinion. Many shooters I know swear by it. It's a good starting point

It's all very well saying this brand or that brand is best. These days its more or less a case of what can you get?

So you start by walking into your local gun shop and asking what has he got 

Anything 50g upwards should work well, 53g Vmax would be my recommendation for starters, but I'm puzzled... 

Why such a requirement for head shots at long range {for a 223} are you trying to preserve the meat on the rabbits? 

Chest shots on the foxes will kill far more reliably than head shots {5x the kill area} 

It's obviously up to you how you shoot them, but if you just need to cull them for pest control, head shots at that range are making life difficult for yourself. 

13 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Anything 50g upwards should work well, 53g Vmax would be my recommendation for starters, but I'm puzzled... 

Why such a requirement for head shots at long range {for a 223} are you trying to preserve the meat on the rabbits? 

Chest shots on the foxes will kill far more reliably than head shots {5x the kill area} 

It's obviously up to you how you shoot them, but if you just need to cull them for pest control, head shots at that range are making life difficult for yourself. 

My thoughts exactly 

22 hours ago, Rewulf said:

This is spot on you don't shoot Rabbits for meat with a 223 and its more humane to shoot Foxes in the boiler room 

On 28/02/2023 at 21:41, Vince Green said:

You can never go far wrong with privi in my opinion. Many shooters I know swear by it. It's a good starting point

Well it's cheap but I wouldn't say it's the most accurate. I'm also not keen on the brass for reloading so if I intended to reload the brass at a later point I would choose something else.

Anyone notice much difference between flat base and boat tail? My 1 in 12 seems to prefer flat base but I'm only working up loads at the moment.

Edited by Windswept

1 hour ago, Windswept said:

Well it's cheap but I wouldn't say it's the most accurate. I'm also not keen on the brass for reloading so if I intended to reload the brass at a later point I would choose something else.

Anyone notice much difference between flat base and boat tail? My 1 in 12 seems to prefer flat base but I'm only working up loads at the moment.

One of the people I shoot with uses privi in his .223 out to 600yds and GGG as well. He regularly wins our high score of the day . It is as accurate as the OP needs to shoot foxes.

The debate about flat base v boat tail goes on and on. Shoot what seems best for you

25 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

One of the people I shoot with uses privi in his .223 out to 600yds and GGG as well. He regularly wins our high score of the day . It is as accurate as the OP needs to shoot foxes.

The debate about flat base v boat tail goes on and on. Shoot what seems best for you

Nothing wrong with Privi or GGG, the brass is good too, I prefer a ballistic tip for vermin though, I would say, in my experience boat tailed bullets work better in lower weight? 

I did a lot of experimentation when I first got my 223, and there was a definite improvement in grouping with BT s. 

On 01/03/2023 at 09:15, Rewulf said:

I enjoy most aspects of rifle shooting, but for over 15 years I have reaped the most pleasure from long-range varminting. Ok, some would frown upon the discipline, and understandably so, but to be able to shoot at long range accurately is both fascinating and therapeutic....read these words on a review of the rifle im getting,to body shoot at long range is good,but to be able to head shoot at long range...hence the importance of accuracy,thanks all for reply's

43 minutes ago, snipers eye said:

I enjoy most aspects of rifle shooting, but for over 15 years I have reaped the most pleasure from long-range varminting. Ok, some would frown upon the discipline, and understandably so, but to be able to shoot at long range accurately is both fascinating and therapeutic....read these words on a review of the rifle im getting,to body shoot at long range is good,but to be able to head shoot at long range...hence the importance of accuracy,thanks all for reply's

All well and good if you can pull it off consistently, I'm not having a go, but you will find anything less that consistent humane kills are going to attract flak, especially when shooting moving animals, outside at night through NV. 

14 hours ago, Rewulf said:

All well and good if you can pull it off consistently, I'm not having a go, but you will find anything less that consistent humane kills are going to attract flak, especially when shooting moving animals, outside at night through NV. 

i dont fire at anything moving,of use night vision

I’ve got a 1:8 .223 and I’ve found 55grn, 62grn and 69grn to be the same out to 300yrds, with the heavier bullets being more accurate at 600yrds.

My rifle loves 62grn American Eagle, which is cheap and dirty, but very accurate. The GGG 69grn with Sierrra HPBTs is also excellent - I now reload my own version of this round and it gives 0.5moa at 600yrds - rifle is a lot more accurate than me! I tried PPU match ammo and my rifle wouldn’t shoot it, but knows someone who swears by it (in 62grn) through his Tikka…

On 02/03/2023 at 08:57, Windswept said:

At 250 yards I get a 7” drop compared to 3” with a boat tail 

On 02/03/2023 at 10:03, Vince Green said:

I couldn’t group under 4” in mine at 100 yards with privi. I was shocked . I achieved 1” with Winchester and 1/4 “ with my reloads . My howa shoots 1” at 180 yards with the home loads I make . 
what’s strange is privi brass won’t even fit in my 243 . I’ve even bumped the shoulders back extra .