SGC Referee criteria

grahamch

The old Minister of Religion, Justice of the Peace, Bank Officer, M.P., or "person of similar standing" has now long gone and gone for the better. It's now anyone really that knows you and the longer they've know you the better. It could be neighbour, work colleague, pub or shop proprietor or anyone really. Someone that knows you've not a secret room in your house with your Hitler memorabilia collection and/or that you don't enjoy watching ISIS videos. So basically someone that can say that you are a 110% boring Mr Normal. Whatever that might be!

As above, someone who really knows you and dare I say your family background so knows your not a violent alcoholic. I have always tried to use someone I have shot with regularly for some years. I changed referees last time when I moved to Scotland for this reason. Police questioned why and I told them this.

I was asked to give a character reference for a teenager intending to use a .22 rimfire (with his licence holding father). My brief was that I should have known him for a period of more than 2 years and that it was unlawful to knowingly mislead etc etc. In my case I was happy to do it as I know the family well. My only advice is don’t do it if you’re not sure - i.e unless you absolutely know they are of ‘good character’. That’s all I can offer.

1 hour ago, Fellside said:

I was asked to give a character reference for a teenager intending to use a .22 rimfire (with his licence holding father). My brief was that I should have known him for a period of more than 2 years and that it was unlawful to knowingly mislead etc etc. In my case I was happy to do it as I know the family well. My only advice is don’t do it if you’re not sure - i.e unless you absolutely know they are of ‘good character’. That’s all I can offer.

I know  the lad concerned via my fowling club but really only see him at meetings and the occasional clay shoot - I dont want to offer to do something if I dont fit the police requirements for a ref - just wasting everyones time if am not suitable. 

1 hour ago, grahamch said:

I know  the lad concerned via my fowling club but really only see him at meetings and the occasional clay shoot - I dont want to offer to do something if I dont fit the police requirements for a ref - just wasting everyones time if am not suitable. 

Yes understood. I know it’s satisfying to help someone, however you may not know him well enough. The only way to be sure is to contact firearms for your area. As we are all too aware, standards and protocols vary widely from one area to another. Sorry that doesn’t give you a definite answer. Your firearms dep’t should though. 

When I was working I used to ask my boss who held all the requirements that was needed , then when it was relaxed I would get our farm manager who I had known for a number of years , after he retired I asked one of the long term estate workers , never had any problems and will do the same when the five years expire .     MM