How much would you pay for these two 🤔

harrycatcat1

8 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄👍👍👍👍

As said before it's the plural of scampi 👍👍👍👍👍😉😉😉😉😉

Just to be pedantic. A single Italian Dublin Bay prawn is (I believe) a scampo, plural scampi

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, ditchman said:

Tartare sauce is proberly another "killer" for London Best.......i understand he was a very difficult child

Not half so difficult as he can be as a grown-up!

But, you’re right. I have no need for tartare sauce as I have never been able to eat anything that has been pulled out of the water, except ducks. 
I actually prefer not to sit at the same table as someone eating fish.

46 minutes ago, London Best said:

But, you’re right. I have no need for tartare sauce as I have never been able to eat anything that has been pulled out of the water, except ducks. 

Would it be easier to list what you do like 🤔👍

44 minutes ago, London Best said:

HHhhahhhahahhahahahaaaaaaaaaaa....we are finding that one out......my son used to totaly freak out on peas.....and public toilets....many a time he has wet himeself because of his refusal to use a public convience.....he has turned down free flights and hotels to so many fantastic places from the carabean to africa......simply because he dont like foreign food and strange toilets.....

35 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Would it be easier to list what you do like 🤔👍

34 minutes ago, ditchman said:

HHhhahhhahahhahahahaaaaaaaaaaa....we are finding that one out......my son used to totaly freak out on peas.....and public toilets....many a time he has wet himeself because of his refusal to use a public convience.....he has turned down free flights and hotels to so many fantastic places from the carabean to africa......simply because he dont like foreign food and strange toilets.....

I don’t eat fish, cheese of any sort, and egg white. Other than that I eat most things, including stuff many will not eat like black pudding or haggis. Gherkins and olives are a no no. I would rather suck an engine dipstick than eat an oily olive!
I prefer fairly plain traditional British food. I don’t like my food ‘mucked about with’. Garlic in food is alright, just so long as there is not enough to actually taste it.
I like Indian food but not keen on Chinese. 
I have enjoyed many African dishes. 
Mostly, I am just a carnivore. 

edit to say I am fine with public toilets, anywhere, or even no toilets (can’t beat a bit of alfresco pooing).

Edited by London Best

21 hours ago, London Best said:

If you had been in our household as a youngster we would had put a few duck feathers on your fish and you won't had known the difference L B , apart from a roast Sunday dinner we ate fish for most days of the week , more so in the Winter when we had fish off a Lowertoft trawler where my grandfather was a stoker , the fish was mainly Cod and Plaice , and then we had Herring and roes from a Yarmouth drifter where my other grandfather was the ships cook , we thought we knew our fish because we ate so much of it but for a long while we didn't realise a Herring , Long shore , Kipper and a Bloater were all the same fish , and not forgetting the roes and milchards which again was from the Herring , or Silver Darlings as they are know around these parts :lol:

21 hours ago, amateur said:

Just to be pedantic. A single Italian Dublin Bay prawn is (I believe) a scampo, plural scampi

scampo ...scampas....scampat...........

4 minutes ago, marsh man said:

If you had been in our household as a youngster we would had put a few duck feathers on your fish and you won't had known the difference L B , apart from a roast Sunday dinner we ate fish for most days of the week , more so in the Winter when we had fish off a Lowertoft trawler where my grandfather was a stoker , the fish was mainly Cod and Plaice , and then we had Herring and roes from a Yarmouth drifter where my other grandfather was the ships cook , we thought we knew our fish because we ate so much of it but for a long while we didn't realise a Herring , Long shore , Kipper and a Bloater were all the same fish , and not forgetting the roes and milchards which again was from the Herring , or Silver Darlings as they are know around these parts :lol:

fresh milts on toast with a spot of pepper...........FOOD OF THE GODS

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

scampo ...scampas....scampat...........

fresh milts on toast with a spot of pepper...........FOOD OF THE GODS

I wasn't over fussy but I preferred the rows rather than the milts , the rows were stuck in the pan with a sprinkling of flour over them , I presume that was to keep them in one piece rather than to improve the taste , the biggest downfall was the smell the fried Herring left behind in the kitchen , mind you , in the Winter we would have only noticed the smell if it wasn't there :good:

27 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Can't say I have had tinned Cod row , but I have had several Cod rows from the fish and chip shop and they are lovely , they make a very nice meal .

The tinned stuff is what they use in chippys. My wife's fresh fish shop used to sell both types. That's what I meant when I said I was a heathen, I course choose from fresh caught Grimsby cod roe or who knows what and when in tins.😊

11 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

The tinned stuff is what they use in chippys. My wife's fresh fish shop used to sell both types. That's what I meant when I said I was a heathen, I course choose from fresh caught Grimsby cod roe or who knows what and when in tins.😊

No the ones we had were fresh and all different shapes and sizes , they looked like the Herring ones we were talking about but that much bigger , these were two for a penny , well not exactly a penny but they were cheap , going back a fair bit but the fish shop was still open when we fell out of the pub on a Saturday night , the ole rows went down a treat after a belly full of Brown and Mild . Happy days :drinks:

12 hours ago, Stephen-H said:

With @harrycatcat1 permission I would like to enter this meal into the thread gentleman please put in your bids for a fish & chips in a up market pub in anglesey 

20230318_201203.jpg

£19.50 chaps for fish & chips without a drink

I nearly fell over!! Could of fed the family of four of us for £19.50 from the chippy & had change!!

we went down for the mothers day as it was the mother in law favourite restaurant on anglesey next year I will stick to a card & a bottle of fizz 

Edited by Stephen-H

4 minutes ago, Stephen-H said:

£19.50 chaps for fish & chips without a drink

I nearly fell over!! Could of fed the family of four of us for £19.50 from the chippy & had change!!

we went down for the mothers day as it was the mother in law favourite restaurant on anglesey next year I will stick to a card & a cheap sh#t bottle of fizz or endure inviting her around for Sunday dinner.

OMG !!! Even London prices are less than that !

Are you sure you didn't miss the starter, dessert and coffee that was included ?! 🤭😂

Being Anglesey I would have guessed 15ish. Bit surprised at that 20 though.

The Magpie café in Whitby charges £30+ for fish and chips and there's always a queue. 

Last time we were in Padstein, (Padstow) Rick Steins take away was over £20, we declined and didn't look at the "restaurant" price.

Being a frugal Yorkshire man, I buy fresh fish and freeze some for later but always cook some fresh. Normally in breadcrumbs but occasionally beer batter. My wife is a fabulous cook and gives me good instructions ☺️ 

10 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Being Anglesey I would have guessed 15ish. Bit surprised at that 20 though.

The Magpie café in Whitby charges £30+ for fish and chips and there's always a queue. 

Last time we were in Padstein, (Padstow) Rick Steins take away was over £20, we declined and didn't look at the "restaurant" price.

Being a frugal Yorkshire man, I buy fresh fish and freeze some for later but always cook some fresh. Normally in breadcrumbs but occasionally beer batter. My wife is a fabulous cook and gives me good instructions ☺️ 

So true about the queues outside the Magpie, the sad thing is that it know where near the best place to eat fish and chips in Whitby. Like your comment about Padstein it seems once you get a name people will pay a premium price.