Fight for the future of game shooting - have you had your say?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Fellside said:

Exactly - my personal opinion is that it was pointless rant. The matter has been resolved per subsequent posts. Have you completed the BASC form yet? 

And your welcome to hold an opinion, as am I.

If you read back you'll see I have completed the form and supported the continuation of game shooting.

In my view posts like you made will loose public support quicker than anything.

24 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

And your welcome to hold an opinion, as am I.

If you read back you'll see I have completed the form and supported the continuation of game shooting.

In my view posts like you made will loose public support quicker than anything.

I wasn’t prepared to go back tracking through all the posts to find out if you’ve completed the form - well done for completing it!

I disagree that we will loose ‘public support’ as you say, by taking a firm stance, on a live quarry shooting forum. The vast majority of the public don’t even know PW exists. I don’t know what you hope to gain by quoting an old response of mine to hantsrob by the way. I’m sure he more than capable of putting his own case and has done - we have reached an understanding. That is what debate is all about. 

28 minutes ago, Fellside said:

I wasn’t prepared to go back tracking through all the posts to find out if you’ve completed the form - well done for completing it!

I disagree that we will loose ‘public support’ as you say, by taking a firm stance, on a live quarry shooting forum. The vast majority of the public don’t even know PW exists. I don’t know what you hope to gain by quoting an old response of mine to hantsrob by the way. I’m sure he more than capable of putting his own case and has done - we have reached an understanding. That is what debate is all about. 

That's fair enough, although why not put forwards the benefits of shooting instead of calling someone with an opposing view a 'bunny hugger'?

3 minutes ago, clangerman said:

he thinks handing out abuse is an opinion lost cause! 

Says you…!!!

56 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

That's fair enough, although why not put forwards the benefits of shooting instead of calling someone with an opposing view a 'bunny hugger'?

Bunny hugger is a comical euphemism - not a base insult - and by the way I haven’t got time to explain the massive benefits of game habitat management, the resulting biodiversity and benefits to the public good etc. etc. I’m not here to write blumin’ essays. 

16 minutes ago, Fellside said:

Says you…!!!

Bunny hugger is a comical euphemism - not a base insult - and by the way I haven’t got time to explain the massive benefits of game habitat management, the resulting biodiversity and benefits to the public good etc. etc. I’m not here to write blumin’ essays. 

Again your obviously entitled to your view, but in mine, as a shooting community I believe we're unlikely to win support by insulting people.

1 hour ago, 12gauge82 said:

Again your obviously entitled to your view, but in mine, as a shooting community I believe we're unlikely to win support by insulting people.

As already pointed out (!!) - the general public aren’t even aware that PW exists - and ‘bunny hugger’ is hardly a gross  insult. I think you’re being a little over sensitive….. about a discussion you weren’t even involved with. Are you having a bit of a quiet Saturday?

5 hours ago, Fellside said:

As already pointed out (!!) - the general public aren’t even aware that PW exists - and ‘bunny hugger’ is hardly a gross  insult. I think you’re being a little over sensitive….. about a discussion you weren’t even involved with. Are you having a bit of a quiet Saturday?

Is a PW member who is against game shooting not a member of the public?

I'm not in the slightest offended so I'm not sure how you've reached the conclusion I'm sensitive.

And I'm afraid when you make a post on a public forum it's not a private conversation and everyone is able to comment on it.

Had a fairly busy day, just got home.

On 13/04/2023 at 17:02, HantsRob said:

That's the saddest part of it all.... I had already completed based on BASC suggestions. You assumed I was anti support.

Just because I do not get live quarry shooting, it doesn't mean I don't support the industry. I am here to learn, question, challenge, mostly for my self learnings. I still don't get live shooting and it's not an interest, but I do believe it's part of the wider shooting agenda and therefore has my support.

It is just a shame you felt so strongly to be rude and unwelcoming to an opinion that differs to your own. Sadly by and large that stops debate, discussion, and learning from those that don't understand. 

I believe in conservation.
I believe in wildlife control.
I am not convinced with breeding birds to just shoot them.

That is a very personal opinion, it doesn't mean I cannot support others. I didn't think I had to explain myself like this and I am saddened that it may fall on deaf ears.

Finally, as a rural lad, I have on many occasions seen bushes with dumped pigeons and other animals that were shot and just dumped. I think it is that attitude that has on many an occasion saddened me. I have also had to pull almost dead animals off the road, and have been grateful for a farmer that can humanely dispatch the animal. 

We are going in circles, I would appreciate you ceasing your rudeness. The community has my support. Your comments however really don't help anyone anti looking in at that negative behaviour. I wish you well all the same, I hope you'd put this one to bed also so indeed the thread can go back to "have you have your say". 

perhaps lack of experience or the opportunity to take part is the reason you are undecided about game shooting or indeed live quarry shooting 

I’m sorry you appear to be getting a bit of a trouncing here thank you for supporting the game shooting cause 

could I ask a few questions pm the replies if you don’t want to go public with them 

have you been game shooting? 
by this I mean a formal driven day 

if no would you like to go ?

to either watch ie stand on the peg with me and observe ?

or 

Share a gun ie watch the start and then take the gun and try your hand at the high birds 

this offer is from me on a day in the season as my guest 

I understand your thinking of the live quarry shooting there will also be a lesson on preparation of the game at the end of the day so you can take some home to eat then you may possibly get a better understanding of the game shooting and all that goes into it 

all the best 

of 

11 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

Is a PW member who is against game shooting not a member of the public?

I'm not in the slightest offended so I'm not sure how you've reached the conclusion I'm sensitive.

And I'm afraid when you make a post on a public forum it's not a private conversation and everyone is able to comment on it.

Had a fairly busy day, just got home.

Yes, they are a member of the public, however they are not ‘the public’. As stated, the general public don’t know what the heck PW is. 

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

perhaps lack of experience or the opportunity to take part is the reason you are undecided about game shooting or indeed live quarry shooting 

I’m sorry you appear to be getting a bit of a trouncing here thank you for supporting the game shooting cause 

could I ask a few questions pm the replies if you don’t want to go public with them 

or 

Share a gun ie watch the start and then take the gun and try your hand at the high birds 

I understand your thinking of the live quarry shooting there will also be a lesson on preparation of the game at the end of the day so you can take some home to eat then you may possibly get a better understanding of the game shooting and all that goes into it 

all the best 

of 

That’s a very kind offer - well done! I hope hantsrob accepts. 

2 hours ago, Old farrier said:

or 

all the best 

of 

👏👏👏

For some 400 years but mainly in the passed 200 owing to the advances in technology which gave rise to 'driven shooting', UK shooters have been building  traditions, previously but not so much now-a-days known as, 'lore'. On the surface these would appear to be orientated towards self discipline and courtesy. Closer examination, however, reveals that the main thrust of these relates to safety and sportsmanship - mainly in the case of the latter consideration for the quarry. Take away the self discipline and the courtesy and these two aspects will soon start to also disappear.

If we accept, 'bunny hugger' as a non offensive term, then similarly having a buffoon in our ranks who seems determined to disregard our heritage does us far more damage than any number of the general population.

I wonder which the BASC would prefer fighting their corner; said buffoon or someone prepared to make the kind of offer which we've just witnessed.

2 minutes ago, wymberley said:

For some 400 years but mainly in the passed 200 owing to the advances in technology which gave rise to 'driven shooting', UK shooters have been building  traditions, previously but not so much now-a-days known as, 'lore'. On the surface these would appear to be orientated towards self discipline and courtesy. Closer examination, however, reveals that the main thrust of these relates to safety and sportsmanship - mainly in the case of the latter consideration for the quarry. Take away the self discipline and the courtesy and these two aspects will soon start to also disappear.

If we accept, 'bunny hugger' as a non offensive term, then similarly having a buffoon in our ranks who seems determined to disregard our heritage does us far more damage than any number of the general population.

I wonder which the BASC would prefer fighting their corner; said buffoon or someone prepared to make the kind of offer which we've just witnessed.

And buffoon isn’t an offensive low insult…..at all..?! If people are so desperately offended by the term ‘bunny hugger’ then they’ve had a highly successful humour bypass. 

We can see clearly who the real mudslingers are now.

Must have overlooked your invitation by the way. 

3 minutes ago, Fellside said:

And buffoon isn’t an offensive low insult…..at all..?! If people are so desperately offended by the term ‘bunny hugger’ then they’ve had a highly successful humour bypass. 

We can see clearly who the real mudslingers are now.

Must have overlooked your invitation by the way. 

Should have taken time to think - and also, a dictionary or t'net is your friend -  takes care of your first two points and I don't shoot game so I couldn't make an invitation, the last.

2 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Should have taken time to think - and also, a dictionary or t'net is your friend -  takes care of your first two points and I don't shoot game so I couldn't make an invitation, the last.

I don’t honestly understand what you mean there wymberley. 

However I would like to make this point. I can’t quite believe that there’s been so much reaction over the term ‘bunny hugger’ - which I regard as a rather comical term and definitely not overtly offensive. However, since this has clearly offended some, I apologise. 

4 hours ago, Fellside said:

I don’t honestly understand what you mean there wymberley. 

However I would like to make this point. I can’t quite believe that there’s been so much reaction over the term ‘bunny hugger’ - which I regard as a rather comical term and definitely not overtly offensive. However, since this has clearly offended some, I apologise. 

AMAZING OFFER by OLD FARRIER - What a great set of people we have in our community !!!!

Fellside - Good on you for apologising Sir - i think everyone now should get back on the same page and as Fellside rightly suggests share the life out of this consultation and give a real hard push back 

Again OLD FARRIER - great great offer !

1 hour ago, jall25 said:

AMAZING OFFER by OLD FARRIER - What a great set of people we have in our community !!!!

Fellside - Good on you for apologising Sir - i think everyone now should get back on the same page and as Fellside rightly suggests share the life out of this consultation and give a real hard push back 

Again OLD FARRIER - great great offer !

:good:

On 16/04/2023 at 08:29, Old farrier said:

OF,

Lets round off this discussion by saying I am humbled once again by your kindness. Most of the reply can go privately. But publicly I would love to learn, understand, and appreciate. Whether that is observing, sharing, etc. The details are not relevant publicly, but I would love to understand more and come with you in some form. Whether I pull a trigger or just take enjoyment from an experience, as experiences are priceless either way.

Thankyou, humbly, for your continued support. Words cannot express my gratitude.