Magnet Fishing!

Dekers

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I have seen a few people try on the Thames , be careful one found a unexploded bomb 🤔

I watched a chap find some very old boat licence plates by the boat yard, canals seen to bring up some interesting items, 

1 hour ago, Dekers said:

Anyone involved?

It seems a bit of fun so I thought I'd invest in a magnet and a bit of string!

eBay has plenty of choice, it seems pretty straight forward, any hits and tips please?

Cheers

Hello, forget the string, 🤔🙄😁 , if you have a go in the canal or Thames being in Berkshire 

I have one. But have only used it a couple of times, that was when my sister in law fell overboard near the dock on the broads and lost her phone/keys and wallet. 
Managed to dredge up the keys which was ‘winner winner chicken dinner’ , not enough magnetic material in the phone. Tried the grappling hook over a period of many hours, but too much plant life. 

Not had the opportunity to try again, plenty of river frontage in the City to try though. 

• 3 weeks later...

I thought to have a go and I know of a good canal spot and to keep it legal I asked the local canal trust. They told me no way! Also on a good day "bikes shopping trollies etc." what do you do with it all at the end of the day. Just leaving it on the bank is littering and throwing it back is just as bad.

Just a thought.

On 16/05/2023 at 09:34, DUNKS said:

I thought to have a go and I know of a good canal spot and to keep it legal I asked the local canal trust. They told me no way! Also on a good day "bikes shopping trollies etc." what do you do with it all at the end of the day. Just leaving it on the bank is littering and throwing it back is just as bad.

Just a thought.

Thank you. To say nothing of the huge, massive, local inconvenience if a grenade is then found. Something that has lain underwater for now near eighty years without causing any problem then becomes an enormous immediate headache. Roads closed, traffic diverted, bomb disposal called to attend and all because of this new hobby. 

I had a go with a small modern 'super' magnet, about the size of a bottle top,

Dropped it over a bridge and straightaway  up came a nice old hammer, after that all that came up was bricks from night storage heaters or the like, so much iron in them.

Edited by janner