ladyjack

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 02/05/2023 at 16:58, ladyjack said:

Well I've just got back from a farm I shoot, the farmer has just drilled 2 fields, and there is thousands of crows jackdaws and woodpigeon,so am I allowed to shoot them as they are decimating the feild

What have been drilled in the fields to be attracting 1000s of Rooks , Crows , Jackdaws and Pigeons ? :hmm:

1 minute ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Havent shot branchers for years but used to be a good way of reducing numbers quickly. 20200410_211041.jpg.f4d568e5f3ad6842354c560344d95e04.jpg

That wasa good day out,I used to have days like this before covid, I think that's why there's so many adults on the 2 farms i shoot,

On 02/05/2023 at 18:28, grahamch said:

Surely this is outside of the scope of the GL?

Even if its not, is it ethically and morally acceptable to shoot baby birds in their nests?

I don't shoot baby birds in the nest,I shoot them on the branches,hence the name,BRANCHERS 

On 03/05/2023 at 18:33, ladyjack said:

Well iam taking 4 other shooter's with me 2morrow, we are all under the impression that we can shoot the drilled field  which is currently being hammered by woodies and crows jaws ect,also after morning session we will be shooting same species around the farm yard and sheds,as they are feeding on the feed that the livestock are getting, will put up post tomorrow, see how we got on

Well how did the five of you get on ? , with 1000s of pest species going on  your newly drilled fields and around the livestock sheds I would imagine you must had all done well , or did you ?

On 03/05/2023 at 18:33, ladyjack said:

Well iam taking 4 other shooter's with me 2morrow, we are all under the impression that we can shoot the drilled field  which is currently being hammered by woodies and crows jaws ect,also after morning session we will be shooting same species around the farm yard and sheds,as they are feeding on the feed that the livestock are getting, will put up post tomorrow, see how we got on

so how did you get on?

21 minutes ago, ladyjack said:

Couldn't go mate (unforseen circumstances)will try and get there 2morrow Saturday,fingers crossed, as iam going on holiday Sunday 

well I bet your farmers happy with you if they were doing the damage you said they were doing, why couldn't the other lads go, or did they?

32 minutes ago, old'un said:

well I bet your farmers happy with you if they were doing the damage you said they were doing, why couldn't the other lads go, or did they?

Christ would you let people go to farm you shoot without you?? No way would I been **** on before, so no way

28 minutes ago, ladyjack said:

Christ would you let people go to farm you shoot without you?? No way would I been **** on before, so no way

sorry, I thought they were mates.

Yes I have put someone on a field of rape that I could not get to, he shot it a few times for me, I have since taken him out a few times and got him a couple of farms to shoot on, he’s a good lad and a PW member, but as you say there are people who will do the dirty behind your back.

2 hours ago, ladyjack said:

Couldn't go mate (unforseen circumstances)will try and get there 2morrow Saturday,fingers crossed, as iam going on holiday Sunday 

You might have missed the best by leaving it for a few days , as you rightly know , a drilled field have a very small time window , if you saw 1000s when it, or they were first drilled then it isn't going to take long for those numbers to clear up any loose seed , did you find out what the fileds were drilled with to draw in those sort of numbers ?

1 hour ago, old'un said:

sorry, I thought they were mates.

Yes I have put someone on a field of rape that I could not get to, he shot it a few times for me, I have since taken him out a few times and got him a couple of farms to shoot on, he’s a good lad and a PW member, but as you say there are people who will do the dirty behind your back.

Good on you mate,glad it worked out well, I bet the person is buzzing,thats what I intend to do its just trying to find the right person, I've had so called mates go behind my back,  just aswell I've known both farmers for a long time, I think its because its so hard to get land to shoot up here,(Newcastle)

On 05/05/2023 at 13:53, marsh man said:

You might have missed the best by leaving it for a few days , as you rightly know , a drilled field have a very small time window , if you saw 1000s when it, or they were first drilled then it isn't going to take long for those numbers to clear up any loose seed , did you find out what the fileds were drilled with to draw in those sort of numbers ?

Drilled with peas and beans probably did miss the best days but still I had over100 in the morning session by myself so I am one happy chappie,going on holiday 2morrow morning 

9 hours ago, ladyjack said:

Drilled with peas and beans probably did miss the best days but still I had over100 in the morning session by myself so I am one happy chappie,going on holiday 2morrow morning 

That's a result. I was out before first light set up at 0430. First birds came at 0450 I could not see them, only hear them around the hide (dog could see them and was going frantic). Shot for 1 hour and picked 22 then they were gone.

Clays at 1100 and back in bed by 1400 😊

Edited by oowee

10 hours ago, ladyjack said:

That was an excellent result for one person to get a three figure bag in a morning session , depending on how long you will be away on your ho;idays the Peas could be breaking through the soil time you get back , so another good bag could be on the cards.

Enjoy your hols.       MM 

7 hours ago, marsh man said:

That was an excellent result for one person to get a three figure bag in a morning session , depending on how long you will be away on your ho;idays the Peas could be breaking through the soil time you get back , so another good bag could be on the cards.

Funny thing i didn't set magnate and decoys i stood behind an old ruin ,if I hadn't been flying early next morning I would have stayed all day,

7 hours ago, marsh man said:

Iam hoping the branchers are just right for when I get back,,as farmer says he will have a few hours on them with me,so  happy days

On 26/04/2023 at 20:04, Scully said:

This. I no longer shoot branchers, but when I did you could really clean up and reduce numbers drastically. Farmers wives don’t like their fresh laundry covered in poop! 

I loved eating them. Breasts only, in a pie with some cubed fat bacon. Delicious and the jelly as well. Not done it for thirty years now. 

20 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

I loved eating them. Breasts only, in a pie with some cubed fat bacon. Delicious and the jelly as well. Not done it for thirty years now. 

Can’t say I’ve ever tried it, but it’s never appealed to me to be honest. 
A game dealer we used to sell rabbits to once told me he included rook in some of his pies, but for whatever reason they fell out of favour.

I think it’s a generational thing; folk were more keen to eat most things in times of rationing. A bloke I knew would take any hare we shot as he loved jugged hare. I have to admit the thought of it makes me retch. 
My Dad really enjoyed potted meat, and many is the time I can recall entering my Grandma's kitchen to see a few pigs Trotters boiling away on the stove. I enjoyed it too, but today it’s probably more saleable by its  more commonly known name of ‘sandwich spread’. 🙂 

Edited by Scully

2 hours ago, ladyjack said:

Funny thing i didn't set magnate and decoys i stood behind an old ruin ,if I hadn't been flying early next morning I would have stayed all day,

Iam hoping the branchers are just right for when I get back,,as farmer says he will have a few hours on them with me,so  happy days

Traditionally the peak day for shooting Branchers was the 12th of May , we would always go in the wood the second week in May , by the third week it was all over with the young ones that didn't get shot could now take wing and by then they were left alone ,  the wood was also free from humans as the nettles were at there peak and the game birds were left to bring up there young undisturbed .

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

Traditionally the peak day for shooting Branchers was the 12th of May , we would always go in the wood the second week in May , by the third week it was all over with the young ones that didn't get shot could now take wing and by then they were left alone ,  the wood was also free from humans as the nettles were at there peak and the game birds were left to bring up there young undisturbed .

Yeah your right but its always later the further north

On 07/05/2023 at 10:19, marsh man said:

Thank you  MM

On 26/04/2023 at 12:57, Weihrauch17 said:

Branchers are generally out the 2nd week in May.

There were no eggs in nests when I left on Saturday, so iam presuming  16/18 days incubation, and about 4 weeks before they leave the nest,then I probably will still get to shoot when I get back from my holiday 

45 minutes ago, ladyjack said:

Thank you  MM

Was it rooks , crows or jacks that you managed to shoot Ladyjack ?

Me and my pal had a mega day yesterday and got 155 mixed crows and jacks - perhaps 75 crows and the other jacks and 5 pigeon 

Decoying off a flightline to a feed store