• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 26/04/2023 at 15:11, ladyjack said:

Didn't know there were rules on shooting branchers 

All birds are protected, the GL gives specific permissions?    Careful!

On 27/04/2023 at 21:41, Mice! said:

That may well be, but if you did get caught shooting branchers you wouldn't have a leg to stand on, in the farm yard is totally different. 

There are rules on shooting anything,  especially birds, you might want to read up on them, it's things like this that give the antis the ammunition they need.

Spot on!

On 28/04/2023 at 08:49, oowee said:

Why would that be. Shooting them is stopping serious damage. The rules are clear that you do not have to wait for the damage to occur. Hence the rule on destroying eggs and nests. 

Please advise the location of that rule?

23 minutes ago, holloway said:

Specifically what damage do Rooks do ? 

On our shoot there are hundreds any they eat vast amounts of animal feed in the buildings and yards.  They also take eggs and chicks.  Having said that I have no inkling to kill one, I like them about just like Hares.  

14 hours ago, Weihrauch17 said:

On our shoot there are hundreds any they eat vast amounts of animal feed in the buildings and yards.  They also take eggs and chicks.  Having said that I have no inkling to kill one, I like them about just like Hares.  

Interesting, I thought that the modern view was that they did more good than harm ,never heard of a Rook taking eggs or chicks everyday is  a school day.so you are saying aRook is as bad as a crow really  ? 

Just checked the RSPB and yes like you said they are very fond of eggs and nestlings .

Edited by holloway

18 hours ago, Weihrauch17 said:

Well I've just got back from a farm I shoot, the farmer has just drilled 2 fields, and there is thousands of crows jackdaws and woodpigeon,so am I allowed to shoot them as they are decimating the feild

6 hours ago, holloway said:

Interesting, I thought that the modern view was that they did more good than harm ,never heard of a Rook taking eggs or chicks everyday is  a school day.so you are saying aRook is as bad as a crow really  ? 

Just checked the RSPB and yes like you said they are very fond of eggs and nestlings .

No Carrions are worse.  People in our shoot do control them (Rooks).

2 hours ago, ladyjack said:

Well I've just got back from a farm I shoot, the farmer has just drilled 2 fields, and there is thousands of crows jackdaws and woodpigeon,so am I allowed to shoot them as they are decimating the feild

He must not have drilled it very well.  

Edited by Weihrauch17

10 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

No Carrions are worse.  People in our shoot do control them.

I wouldn't know iam no a farmer, but the farm has been in the same family for 4 generations so I suppose he knows what he's doing, 

On 28/04/2023 at 09:40, Mice! said:

I'd say this was a massive grey area, your shooting birds that can't fly, so aren't causing any damage,  but could do once they fledged. 

And the rule is there on eggs and nests, but other than geese I doubt it gets used on anything else,  I don't think anyone can touch gull eggs anymore?

I think we complicate it all a little- the young rooks are damaging crops by being fed 

20 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

? Why do you reach that conclusion. 

20 hours ago, holloway said:

Specifically what damage do Rooks do ? 

They will attack cattle (more scaring en mass) causing them to fall. They defecate in the cattle food carrying disease. They compete for food. 

1 minute ago, oowee said:

They will attack cattle (more scaring en mass) causing them to fall. They defecate in the cattle food carrying disease. They compete for food. 

I have no major issue with rooks like i do crows - indeed up here where it once was flocks of rooks its now massive flocks of crows.

The thing rooks do is eat the a few eggs and fledglings - nothing like crows or magpies but they are really bad at pulling up seed that has just chitted - back in the day i have seen acres upended - As i say though the rookeries are a lot smaller and quieter than years ago 

Just now, jall25 said:

I have no major issue with rooks like i do crows - indeed up here where it once was flocks of rooks its now massive flocks of crows.

The thing rooks do is eat the a few eggs and fledglings - nothing like crows or magpies but they are really bad at pulling up seed that has just chitted - back in the day i have seen acres upended - As i say though the rookeries are a lot smaller and quieter than years ago 

👍 I have seen acres of freshly drilled fields cleared by rooks and also just sprouted crops. Apparently (according to an agronomist friend) the rooks pull the shoots looking for grubs in the remnant of the seed rather than for the shoot itself. The numbers here are bordering on plague proportions. There is something about intensive dairy that encourages population growth. 

23 minutes ago, oowee said:

👍 I have seen acres of freshly drilled fields cleared by rooks and also just sprouted crops. Apparently (according to an agronomist friend) the rooks pull the shoots looking for grubs in the remnant of the seed rather than for the shoot itself. The numbers here are bordering on plague proportions. There is something about intensive dairy that encourages population growth. 

Keep at them bud ! 👍👍

1 hour ago, oowee said:

Because the only decent sport we get on Drillings is when there is a lot of seed on the surface and that is almost never now with modern drills.

1 hour ago, grahamch said:

Surely this is outside of the scope of the GL?

Even if its not, is it ethically and morally acceptable to shoot baby birds in their nests?

Nope. Ethically it's in the rules. Morally is a judgment for you to make.

If you have a problem with pest control can I suggest a different forum may be more appropriate?

31 minutes ago, oowee said:

If you have a problem with pest control can I suggest a different forum may be more appropriate?

Well said that man

3 hours ago, ladyjack said:

So you still haven't read the GLs then, if you had you would know the answer. 

Follow the links or click on the questions. 

https://basc.org.uk/gl/england/#

3 hours ago, oowee said:

Wire worms I believe.

34 minutes ago, oowee said:

There is a big difference with pest control and shooting fledglings,  especially when rooks are on the Amber list,  the very list we use to justify controlling Magpies and Crows, I'd say the days of shooting branchers has gone.

These screenshots are from GL42, it doesn't say anywhere that chicks can be killed ( unless it's the kill or take by hand, which I doubt has been done with corvids or pigeons) which is why I'm saying you need to be very careful shooting young rooks.

898646688_Screenshot_20230502-202454_SamsungInternet.jpg.429c0b475655831bd0cc0e7c9c227d0f.jpg

1553112783_Screenshot_20230502-202329_SamsungInternet.jpg.aea99f7e519bf79d72380d15f865d391.jpg

6 minutes ago, Mice! said:

So you still haven't read the GLs then, if you had you would know the answer. 

Follow the links or click on the questions. 

https://basc.org.uk/gl/england/#

Wire worms I believe.

There is a big difference with pest control and shooting fledglings,  especially when rooks are on the Amber list,  the very list we use to justify controlling Magpies and Crows, I'd say the days of shooting branchers has gone.

These screenshots are from GL42, it doesn't say anywhere that chicks can be killed ( unless it's the kill or take by hand, which I doubt has been done with corvids or pigeons) which is why I'm saying you need to be very careful shooting young rooks.

898646688_Screenshot_20230502-202454_SamsungInternet.jpg.429c0b475655831bd0cc0e7c9c227d0f.jpg

1553112783_Screenshot_20230502-202329_SamsungInternet.jpg.aea99f7e519bf79d72380d15f865d391.jpg

Chicks are not mentioned in the GL. There are eggs and then there are birds both may be killed.  I am always very careful shooting anything. 

Hi rooks are a target species only  on gl42. The license states who can rely on the licence, when and where. It has 6 conditions.  It’s nothing to do with sporting shooting. If shooting young rooks or destroying the nests or eggs , definition/ reference number 6 explain the serious damage/ normal business risk. This is the part of the license they will ask to explain the reason for culling them. Rope bangers where used at night to deter rooks from nesting. 

1 hour ago, oowee said:

This…..

54 minutes ago, oowee said:

Chicks are not mentioned in the GL. There are eggs and then there are birds both may be killed.  I am always very careful shooting anything. 

….and this. 

On 26/04/2023 at 15:07, oldypigeonpopper said:

Be careful on this , rook shooting like this or pigeon roosting, what are the GL rules

Well iam taking 4 other shooter's with me 2morrow, we are all under the impression that we can shoot the drilled field  which is currently being hammered by woodies and crows jaws ect,also after morning session we will be shooting same species around the farm yard and sheds,as they are feeding on the feed that the livestock are getting, will put up post tomorrow, see how we got on