Dealing With HMRC

Bemused

We’re taking on an apprentice in August so I’ve been working with the college to set everything up. Everything was going smoothly until I had to make a simple phone call to let HMRC know what we’re doing as you apparently can’t just add an apprentice to the payroll until you’ve made HMRC aware. Something to do with the funding for college.

Many hours have been wasted today ringing the HMRC “Employers Helpline” I’ve tried, the accountant’s tried and both failed. You ring a number and get through to a computer voice which asks you a few questions (after telling you that due to industrial action calls are taking longer than an hour to be dealt with) It then tells you that your call will be answered asap. After waiting around 10 – 30 minutes the computer comes back on to tell you everyone is busy, then terminates the call!  😂

I wish they were as efficient at answering calls as they are at collecting money. Any ideas anyone?  

Yeah, dont take on apprentices, had three on our firm, none lasted more than a few months, always sick (actually found out two were working elsewhere but we were still due to pay them for the days they were off. The other one was going back to college with updates of our health and safety, trying to trip us up, i think with the idea of trying to get a claim in against us.

2 minutes ago, eggy74 said:

Yeah, dont take on apprentices, had three on our firm, none lasted more than a few months, always sick (actually found out two were working elsewhere but we were still due to pay them for the days they were off. The other one was going back to college with updates of our health and safety, trying to trip us up, i think with the idea of trying to get a claim in against us.

You're not wrong, we've not bothered for ages due to bad attitudes but this is my son I'm taking on. He's worked with us during school holidays for the past few years and loves it. We'll see how he gets on 😀

13 hours ago, Bemused said:

You're not wrong, we've not bothered for ages due to bad attitudes but this is my son I'm taking on. He's worked with us during school holidays for the past few years and loves it. We'll see how he gets on 😀

Hope you get sorted 👍 and good wishes to your son, cannot beat an apprenticeship 👍

13 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Swift email to head of HMRC, with a copy to either your MP or appropriate Minister.

Agreed. I know from both having once worked in the public sector and from personal experience later that heads of departments hate “Ministers Correspondence”

Google search cabinet ministers to identify the minister responsible for HMRC, send him / her a short pithy note of the circumstances and end your note with “ As your staff will not respond to my problems will you now do so. Thank you”

Best of luck. We closed one of our companies down over 3 years ago and HMRC have only just stopped sending us letters for a outstanding tax bill (which was  paid 3 years ago)for a company that does not  exist any more. Looks like someone finally got the message !!!!!

It's because a vast number of anticivil servants are still "working" from home.

They held on to a refund of mine fore a year blaming my accountant for not submitting my books, but my accountant had the receipts, still made no difference and thd expected me to pat my corporation tax even though the owed me about 10x what they wanted.

Useless is the nice phrase I'd use about them.

On 11/05/2023 at 18:43, Bemused said:

We’re taking on an apprentice in August so I’ve been working with the college to set everything up. Everything was going smoothly until I had to make a simple phone call to let HMRC know what we’re doing as you apparently can’t just add an apprentice to the payroll until you’ve made HMRC aware. Something to do with the funding for college.

Many hours have been wasted today ringing the HMRC “Employers Helpline” I’ve tried, the accountant’s tried and both failed. You ring a number and get through to a computer voice which asks you a few questions (after telling you that due to industrial action calls are taking longer than an hour to be dealt with) It then tells you that your call will be answered asap. After waiting around 10 – 30 minutes the computer comes back on to tell you everyone is busy, then terminates the call!  😂

I wish they were as efficient at answering calls as they are at collecting money. Any ideas anyone?  

Contact your local MP and relate the issues. I guarantee you'll get a response from the HMRC!