Centrica Profits

TIGHTCHOKE

"Centrica said the growth came down to the fact it had reduced debt-related costs, as opposed to it reaping a huge windfall from high energy prices following Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

You really couldn't make it up!  :w00t:

Hello, not only energy suppliers , just about everything we buy, need, to live in UK has gone up in costs putting millions further in dept , fuel poverty, food poverty, rent, mortgages, homeless, theft from supermarkets has increased 10 fold, 1000s of children go to school hungary 🙄 what kind of life of our future generations going to look forward to, 🤔

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

1 minute ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, not only energy suppliers , just about everything we buy, need, to live in UK has gone up in costs putting many millions further in dept , fuel poverty, food poverty, rent, mortgages, homeless, theft from supermarkets has increased 10 fold, 1000s of children go to school hungary 🙄 what kind of life of our future generations going to look forward to, 🤔

Tesco CEO stated, we are doing everything to limit price rises 🤔 just wait to see what profits they make this year, last year millions were worried on fuel bills, government money ie tax payers, came forth with help, from what I hear there will be nothing, zero,ziltch, sweet FA this winter, it's going to be a bleak winter 🙄

21 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Centrica, the firm behind British Gas have announced their interim profits.

£969 000 000.

WOW!

We are being royally screwed.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/jul/27/british-gas-record-profit-price-cap-increase

All by design?

20 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, not only energy suppliers , just about everything we buy, need, to live in UK has gone up in costs putting millions further in dept , fuel poverty, food poverty, rent, mortgages, homeless, theft from supermarkets has increased 10 fold, 1000s of children go to school hungary 🙄 what kind of life of our future generations going to look forward to, 🤔

The system is not designed for the plebs to possess anything other than debt, all about control?

7 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

Why on earth are energy companies not in public ownership, when profits like that are being made, it just doesn't make sense.

Because when they were in public ownership they constantly made a loss made up by the tax payer.  Once in state ownership the staff level doubles and productivity drops 50% and the unions call the shots.   Just like the NHS.

6 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

Because when they were in public ownership they constantly made a loss made up by the tax payer.  Once in state ownership the staff level doubles and productivity drops 50% and the unions call the shots.   Just like the NHS.

What's needed is better management, not privatisation, it's false economy. At least under public ownership there'd be better paid decent employment putting more money back into the economy, instead of ceo and share holders back pockets and like other utilities, private companies under invest in infrastructure to maximise profit over service.

9 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

share holders back pockets

Remember if you have a pension fund you are very likely one of those nasty share holders you keep referring to albeit indirectly.   WRT better management I will again point you at the NHS where mostly management posts are "jobs for the Boys/Girls" and not on management skills.

10 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

What's needed is better management, not privatisation, it's false economy. At least under public ownership there'd be better paid decent employment putting more money back into the economy, instead of ceo and share holders back pockets and like other utilities, private companies under invest in infrastructure to maximise profit over service.

Have you ever worked for a publicly owned company/organisation that was financially astute. I have worked in 3 and the wastage and uncountability was of the scale. As its not their money and they are not judge by how well they do.

14 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

yes your are right , look what is happening with the water industry ! raw sewerage going into the rivers because they have not put the money into modernizing existing treatment plants !

Edited by derbyduck

11 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

Remember if you have a pension fund you are very likely one of those nasty share holders you keep referring to albeit indirectly.   WRT better management I will again point you at the NHS where mostly management posts are "jobs for the Boys/Girls" and not on management skills.

I'm not against private companies, but when it comes to critical national infrastructure, my opinion is it's too important to leave to an entity that's first priority is making profit, rather than the public.

10 hours ago, Rem260 said:

Have you ever worked for a publicly owned company/organisation that was financially astute. I have worked in 3 and the wastage and uncountability was of the scale. As its not their money and they are not judge by how well they do.

I agree it's appalling and our 'wonderful' NHS is a perfect example.

6 hours ago, derbyduck said:

yes your are right , look what is happening with the water industry ! raw sewerage going into the rivers because they have not put the money into modernizing existing treatment plants !

Which leads me to my other point, it's not just the public sector that's shambolic, or in the case of water companies scandalous that they've under invested due to putting profits first.

16 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

I'm not against private companies, but when it comes to critical national infrastructure, my opinion is it's too important to leave to an entity that's first priority is making profit, rather than the public.

So you would rather leave it to an outfit like NHS because that is what you will get if you nationalise because that is just what it was like pre privatisation.

On 29/07/2023 at 23:37, 12gauge82 said:

Gone for ever bud just like every other utility, all by design?

Part of the master plan?

11 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

So you would rather leave it to an outfit like NHS because that is what you will get if you nationalise because that is just what it was like pre privatisation.

Not what I said.

But I do believe services should be in public ownership, if centric can make profits like they have, it could be run for public good much better providing it is managed correctly.

36 minutes ago, old man said:

Gone for ever bud just like every other utility, all by design?

Part of the master plan?

Unfortunately correct.

2 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

Not what I said.

But I do believe services should be in public ownership, if centric can make profits like they have, it could be run for public good much better providing it is managed correctly.

Unfortunately correct.

Maybe the ultimate betrayal, to be destroyed from within?