Rape Stubble

I had a call from Bunny_Basher in the week to share a hide  on a shared permission . We arranged to meet on Friday morning . We met up at just after 11.00 and set out to view the field of rape stubble which B_B had seen a good number of birds on in the week. As we drove round the field the birds were flighting across it but not many actually down in fact the stubble was greening up well. We watched it for a good twenty minutes and the flighting was continuous. So we chose a spot on the edge of a dell in the centre of the field. I had eleven real birds as decoys and set up the magnet and the rest on cradles above the rape stalks with three flying frame coming to both sides of the pattern. We set the pattern close to the hide. It must have been 13.00 when we actually started shooting and the birds came well within shot. I was shooting Express 28gram 5s and B_B was shooting 24gram 6s RC Steel. Some of the shots he dropped had “ Space Suits” on, very impressive . We both had decoy shots that you know your not on the bird well and you still fire two shots at it, WHY!!!

It was a pleasant relaxed enjoyable day with lots of banter and good shooting.

We finished at 17.00 and picked up 141 birds and I managed to take a picture  before the hide was dismantled.  

rape.jpg

8 minutes ago, bunny_blaster said:

I use a Beretta DT10 with 3/8 and 1/2 choke

Thankyou. That is my go to combination for live quarry shooting also! 
Pleased to hear you’ve had good results with RC steel; I haven’t tried them yet but use RC lead for game. Fabulous cartridges. Cheers. 👍

54 minutes ago, Scully said:

Thankyou. That is my go to combination for live quarry shooting also! 
Pleased to hear you’ve had good results with RC steel; I haven’t tried them yet but use RC lead for game. Fabulous cartridges. Cheers. 👍

I’ve used a lot of the 24g steel and they are very good. 

Just now, pigeon controller said:

I’m in good company then.

Absolutely. How these folk shoot 100 with 105 shots etc I don’t know (and I consider myself a reasonable shot). 
Dad takes great pleasure in letting me know what he thinks when I miss doing as you describe! 

3 minutes ago, Wilts#Dave said:

Absolutely. How these folk shoot 100 with 105 shots etc I don’t know (and I consider myself a reasonable shot). 
Dad takes great pleasure in letting me know what he thinks when I miss doing as you describe! 

The in hide banter usually goes “ don’t miss this one” and you do or you “ pillowcase it”

8 minutes ago, Wilts#Dave said:

Are they being honest though 🤔 

3 minutes ago, pigeon controller said:

The in hide banter usually goes “ don’t miss this one” and you do or you “ pillowcase it”

Ahh the pillowcase shot…..enough feathers to stuff a duvet / I think you were on that one / try and shoot them a bit further out next time! 

1 hour ago, yickdaz said:

Are they being honest though 🤔 

My comment was a little tongue in cheek to be honest. No I don’t believe they are, not quite sure if they think folk will be be extra impressed if they mention an over inflated ratio but you’re only kidding yourself I guess! 

10 hours ago, Wilts#Dave said:

My comment was a little tongue in cheek to be honest. No I don’t believe they are, not quite sure if they think folk will be be extra impressed if they mention an over inflated ratio but you’re only kidding yourself I guess! 

I also wander how many Pigeon shooters tell you what they have shot on the clicker rather than what is picked , whatever I shoot only go in my diary if it is hanging up in my garage or cooling off on the concrete floor , same on our game shoots , we only count what is hanging up in the game larder and not what the picker uppers can't find or what the guns say they have shot .

4 hours ago, marsh man said:

I also wander how many Pigeon shooters tell you what they have shot on the clicker rather than what is picked , whatever I shoot only go in my diary if it is hanging up in my garage or cooling off on the concrete floor , same on our game shoots , we only count what is hanging up in the game larder and not what the picker uppers can't find or what the guns say they have shot .

Absolutely. We can all click away till our hearts content, that pigeon you took a feather out of is definitely gone down etc. Game shoots are even worse for guns after a drive claiming they’ve killed more than they have! 
We only count what we pick the same as you, and try and avoid dripping them where they can’t be picked which is only a matter of a little restraint. 
I’d get no pleasure in killing 100 but only bringing home 10.