AUTO RENEW

DUNKS

Hi. Just had my home insurance renewal reminder and they have ben generous "their words" AND INCLUDED AUTO RENEWAL. IF THEY DONT HEAR FROM ME THE POLICY WILL AUTO RENEW. This is a thing I never do and just cant see how they can do this without my permission. Also the premium has increased by a massive £90. I will sort it but what a liberty. The AA tried this on many years ago and caused a hassle.

Why cant life be simple again?

7 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

Hi. Just had my home insurance renewal reminder and they have ben generous "their words" AND INCLUDED AUTO RENEWAL. IF THEY DONT HEAR FROM ME THE POLICY WILL AUTO RENEW. This is a thing I never do and just cant see how they can do this without my permission. Also the premium has increased by a massive £90. I will sort it but what a liberty. The AA tried this on many years ago and caused a hassle.

Why cant life be simple again?

I think that this sadly is standard practice now with home and car insurance.

They rely on people going for the easy option and not shopping around.

Apparently, with car insurance, it`s best to start shopping around about 21 days before the renewal date. Leave it any nearer and the premium can increase even with a new provider. I think that I heard that on the Martin Lewis money programme.

OB

You will have been given the opportunity to opt out of auto renewal when you first took the policy out, I always opt out and write down who I spoke to and exactly when. As renewal comes round I stop the direct debit and then all the fun starts. Last years victim was a well known large Insurance company who ended up paying me £50 compensation for "inconvenience" when having to answer their emails and phone calls.

24 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

You will have been given the opportunity to opt out of auto renewal when you first took the policy out, I always opt out and write down who I spoke to and exactly when. As renewal comes round I stop the direct debit and then all the fun starts. Last years victim was a well known large Insurance company who ended up paying me £50 compensation for "inconvenience" when having to answer their emails and phone calls.

Yes I was. three years ago and I opted out. Last year it did not auto renew but this year it has.

I always tell them when I accept an insurance quote,that I do not want auto renew. I will decide the following year what company to insure with by getting fresh quotes. Usually a phone call can knock off 20%,or match elsewhere.

If you get a new bank card they can’t take any money I believe!

42 minutes ago, London Best said:

Surely, if you don’t pay them they can’t auto renew. 
I never use direct debits.

I paid last year by card, dont do direct debit. They would have used the same card number without my permission which I believe is illegal.

Had my motorcycle policy ‘auto renew’ I had to look through the paperwork to find out that they’d doubled the premium. 
They also forgot to send me a renew notification.

a quick call to them to tell them exactly what I thought of their business practices and a full refund was issued. I wonder how many people just accept it? 

19 minutes ago, Gu5 said:

Had my motorcycle policy ‘auto renew’ I had to look through the paperwork to find out that they’d doubled the premium. 
They also forgot to send me a renew notification.

a quick call to them to tell them exactly what I thought of their business practices and a full refund was issued. I wonder how many people just accept it? 

Too many!

My car insurance auto renews. I get a renewal notice and if the price is OK, I let it renew.

Last 2 years with the same company it "auto-renewed" followed by a threatening letter a few days later saying that if I didn't pay by so-and-so date they'd cancel it. :no:

1 hour ago, walshie said:

My car insurance auto renews. I get a renewal notice and if the price is OK, I let it renew.

Last 2 years with the same company it "auto-renewed" followed by a threatening letter a few days later saying that if I didn't pay by so-and-so date they'd cancel it. :no:

But, you get a better deal if you renew at 3 weeks to go and start your search at 4 weeks to go.

19 hours ago, DUNKS said:

I paid last year by card, dont do direct debit. They would have used the same card number without my permission which I believe is illegal.

You will have agreed to it when you tick the box that says you agree to their T&C.

Most insurance is done online now and you can't get past that box without ticking it