Ted's Shed

Gordon R

My daughter in law owns a couple of children's nurseries. One of their customer's children - Ted - attended the nursery until he was 5. After a lengthy terminal illness he died earlier this year aged 7. It was in the local papers - Bolton: Mother's heartbreak after Boy, 7 dies after surgery | The Bolton News

The nursery, staff and relatives decided to build something to remember Ted by - hence Ted's Shed. The nursery funded the timber etc, other customers, who were familiar with Ted, offered help.

One of their customers did the hardcore and concrete base.

The frame was built by Ted's grandfather, a retired carpenter, assisted by my eldest and my grandson - a decent 5 x 4metres.

Another customer did the roofing - just needs plastic end caps to be put on.

My eldest and myself put the breathable membrane on followed by shiplap. After using quite a few hundred oval nails, my lad relented and we used my air nailer. He quickly admitted his preference of hammer / nails was a bit slower - just a bit.

When we finished the shed exterior, my lad announced we would be having decking outside, Once installed, he announced we would be putting rails around the decking. 

A few bits to finish - caps on the posts and steps to the decking. 

Almost done - it has to be ready for an unveiling in a couple of weeks. Flooring, interior, electricity, plaque to be done. I am not doing the armoured cabling, but might get volunteered for the rest.

I know it isn't in the same league as Team Tractor's creations, but it is solid and weatherproof. Just needs the wood treating. Any suggestions for a suitable varnish / preserver would be welcome. I intend spraying it on, as my lad brushes everything and it takes forever.

IMG_20230820_192210.jpg

Edited by Gordon R

I never met Ted, but staff said he was always cheerful, despite his very limited life expectancy.

I hadn't grasped that their nurseries always have children with serious or terminal illnesses. Other nurseries turn them away, because of staff to children ratios - 1-1, but my daughter in law never turns anyone away.  Given that they have a lengthy waiting list, it is hardly the best business, but she genuinely cares.

Childcare first, business second. 

My son and daughter in law had mentioned Ted, but I knew nothing of him.

Whilst working on the shed, the roofer explained that his wife worked at the nursery and both knew Ted. His description of the lad's demeanour under terminal illness, remaining cheerful, brought it home to me.

Life is seldom fair.

That said - still after advice on varnish / preserver.

Good morn Gordon

Great project and outcome - well done to all making it happen.

I would suggest Sadolin - I have used this for many years and does the job well in my experience.

There is a 'standard' coat (green tin, 2 coats recomended) and then the Sadolin One-Coat. Obviously others experience and wood treatments used will vary.

L

PS - I have also used Cuprinol? Ducksback - does last more than 2-3 years and so near to the 5 indicated if instructions followed. No doubt depends on environment you are in.

Edited by Loki

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...