Curry Night

JTaylor91

12 hours ago, JTaylor91 said:

Chicken tikka done in the pizza oven so it’s a bit like a tandoor, then made into a chicken tikka garlic chilli.

Superb! You’ve even got the cobra on the go😀. Did you use a base gravy for the finished article?

50 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Looks very nice.  I like a curry, and have tried various tikka/tandoori/sashlick recipes in the normal oven, with rather unexceptional results.  It isn't really hot enough.

Before using the pizza oven I found using the grill better than the oven 

24 minutes ago, JTaylor91 said:

Before using the pizza oven I found using the grill better than the oven 

Yes, that's probably so, but it's (well mine is) also much more of a pain to clean up afterwards!  As someone mentioned, I also use a flame to finish off.  I find the oven is OK if you are very careful, but it is easy to dry the meat out too much.  I try and cook to an 'in the middle' temperature of 75C, but if you overshoot - it very quickly dries.  75C and finish with the flame gives 'fair' results.

Edited by JohnfromUK

10 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Looks very nice.  I like a curry, and have tried various tikka/tandoori/sashlick recipes in the normal oven, with rather unexceptional results.  It isn't really hot enough.

200 deg C is the temp I cook the chicken pieces at, after marinating overnight spread them evenly across your skewers then cook for 10 minutes over a bath of boiling water, remove from the oven then use a decent blowtorch to blacken.

Leftovers curry;

From the top, clockwise;

1. Black dal made from urad lentils, onions and garlic (home made and from the freezer)
  2. Chicken tandoori pieces (home made and from the freezer)
  3. Indian style cauliflower, pepper and onion stir fry (home made)
  4. Vegetable jalfrezi (home made from the freezer made from leftover potatoes and veggies, but probably used  jalfrezi paste)

Nothing special, but a good way of using up loose ends!

0B73E795-F822-4472-A6BC-0193B02D5D2F_1_201_a.jpeg

6 minutes ago, ditchman said:

looks very very nice ..i would eat that anyday

The cauliflower dish is one of my regulars and a favourite.  The flavour comes from oil in which yellow mustard seeds and black onion seeds (nigella seeds) are popped - and then cauliflower florets, sliced onion and sliced peppers (and some hot chillies if desired) are added and stir fried.

26 minutes ago, Gameking said:

How do you make your Tandoori chicken ? is it a propriety mix ? ( lovely colour)

No, it's a Misty Ricardo recipe - and it does have a bit of red colouring.  I'll p.m. you the scan of the recipe (not really fair to publish book contents on an open forum) - but really struggling to get logged on reliably at present.

30 minutes ago, Gameking said:

John,

Looks good, Dal is one of my favourites.

How do you make your Tandoori chicken ? is it a propriety mix ? ( lovely colour)

The dal is my version of a recipe:

Black Dal

Ingredients

·      250 g black (Urid) lentils

·      100g Butter (or Ghee)

·      2 x large onions, thinly sliced

·      3 x garlic cloves, crushed

·      1 x 20 cm piece of ginger, peeled and grated

·      2 x tsp ground cumin

·      2 x tsp ground coriander

·      1 x tsp ground turmeric

·      1 x tsp paprika

·      ¼ tsp chilli powder

·      1 x small bunch coriander, stalks finely chopped, leaves reserved to serve

·      400g passata or chopped tomatoes, pureed

·      1 red chilli

·      50 ml cream

Method

Prep:  4 hours or overnight  ›    Cook – 2 1/2 hours

1.     Soak the beans in cold water for 4 hrs (or overnight).

2.     Melt the butter or ghee in a large pan, then add the onions, garlic and ginger, and cook slowly for 10-15 mins until the onions are starting to caramelise.

3.     Stir in the spices, coriander stalks and 100ml water.

4.     Add the passata and whole red chilli.

5.     Drain the beans and add these too, then top up with 400ml water. Season well, set the slow cooker to Low and cook for 5-6 hrs (or cover and cook for 2 hrs over a very low heat on the hob).

6.     Once cooked, the dhal should be very thick and the beans tender.

7.     Stir in the cream, check the seasoning and serve in bowls with naan bread, rice or in a jacket potato, with your choice of toppings.