RWC it's started 😁

Mice!

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That was really enjoyable, but ,,,,, we lost it in the scrum. They were cute in there, inducing penalties and we got sloppy.

But, what a great game, with our tactics for the opposition and rainy conditions spot on. Except for the last ten minutes 😟

1 minute ago, JKD said:

That was really enjoyable, but ,,,,, we lost it in the scrum. They were cute in there, inducing penalties and we got sloppy.

But, what a great game, with our tactics for the opposition and rainy conditions spot on. Except for the last ten minutes 😟

Yeah. It's so hard. as soon as a player gives away one, the ref's on it for the next and that's the narrative created. If you isolated two or three of them, especially that last, they could have gone for us, but the narrative was already set, so the ref sees what he is expecting to see. 

I feel for the front row, but what must it be like for Marler and Cole, knowing that before they left the field, they'd controlled it so well and after they went, it all fell apart. You win as a team and lose as a team, but they did not deserve to lose a game based on front row scrum pens.

17 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Yeah. It's so hard. as soon as a player gives away one, the ref's on it for the next and that's the narrative created. If you isolated two or three of them, especially that last, they could have gone for us, but the narrative was already set, so the ref sees what he is expecting to see. 

I feel for the front row, but what must it be like for Marler and Cole, knowing that before they left the field, they'd controlled it so well and after they went, it all fell apart. You win as a team and lose as a team, but they did not deserve to lose a game based on front row scrum pens.

Totally agree. SA saw this weakness and played the game accordingly, so in that respect hats off to them. We played most of the match to stop them playing their power game with regular tries,,,, we just couldn't keep it up all match 😟 They took their chances when they could, and won. Gutted for our players and personally,,,, close but no cigar 🤷

Must add that our lads should be proud and hold their heads up high. SA are the reigning champions after all 🙂

Edited by JKD

28 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Totally agree, the replacement props blew the game.

48 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Even the French commentators didn’t think it was a penalty 

With a few penalties already going against England at the scrum the ref normally goes that way again,  it was just too tight.

4 minutes ago, Poor Shot said:

Gutted for you lads..

A real shame that Marler and Cole had near dominated the scrum only to see it slip away in the hands of others in what will probably be their last ever England game.

From what I read earlier Marler and Cole started so Sincler and Genge could counter the bomb squad,, but it just fell short, those lads will be gutted.

2 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

As an aside England were fantastic today, Freddie Steward and Farrell immense apart from Farells gobbing off which probably cost the game. 

Not at all, Farrell as Captain has to speak up, there were a few unforced errors,  the line out with JG messing up twice both in good positions,  a few bad kicks towards the end then the scrum.

Freddie was brilliant as was Owen, as we're England for 70 minutes then it just slipped away. 

18 minutes ago, Mice! said:

With a few penalties already going against England at the scrum the ref normally goes that way again,  it was just too tight.

From what I read earlier Marler and Cole started so Sincler and Genge could counter the bomb squad,, but it just fell short, those lads will be gutted.

Not at all, Farrell as Captain has to speak up, there were a few unforced errors,  the line out with JG messing up twice both in good positions,  a few bad kicks towards the end then the scrum.

Freddie was brilliant as was Owen, as we're England for 70 minutes then it just slipped away. 

Well he made the penalty kickable by it and we lost by a point?  Which bit of that wasn't due to him? Other than that he was superb.

Edited by Weihrauch17

20 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

Well he made the penalty kickable by it and we lost by a point?  Which bit of that wasn't due to him? Other than that he was superb.

He kicked all our points, and put in a massive performance again. Yes the kick was made kickable but we were still winning on 77 minutes,  there were plenty of opportunities and mistakes after that.

16 minutes ago, Mice! said:

He kicked all our points, and put in a massive performance again. Yes the kick was made kickable but we were still winning on 77 minutes,  there were plenty of opportunities and mistakes after that.

I am not blaming him he was superb, the replacement props lost the game.

South africa were knackered and face up to it his gob cost the game!!,

he was at it all game picked up by tv not for the first time either, just this time there was a ref not  prepared to listen to it but enforce the rules,,i think back to Nigel Owens when he said "CHRISTOPHER" who turned and walked away....respect!... thats what rugby is based on not snarling back to the ref even when told not to!

The retirement snowball has started. Lawes has announced he's retiring from international rugby after the World Cup. I'd have thought Dan Cole will go too and Johnny May is expected to follow suit. Who else will go in the not too distant future? 

Lawes might be the hardest to replace, both in terms of skill, rugby intelligence and definitely heart

Edited by chrisjpainter

7 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

Lawes might be the hardest to replace, both in terms of skill, rugby intelligence and definitely heart

I didn't realise he was as old as he is, or that he had 105 caps, he's been brilliant. 

I think a lot should really have played their last England game, not because we lost, its just time, bring in younger players and build for the future.