Help please. 1 1/2" diameter thread identification

Eyefor

Hi.

Would anyone know how to identify the thread size in the picture which shows the top of an old mahogany theodolite tripod that I would like to use as a standard lamp and, rather than drilling the original (threaded) brass cap, I would like to create an adaptor in order to screw a lamp holder onto the male thread so the tripod isn't irrevocably damaged.

The thread is 1 1/2" outside diameter so maybe 1 1/2" bsp?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_5613.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Eyefor said:

It could be a B.S.F or Whitworth thread if it measures 1.5, a BSP Would measure 1.882 (sorry)

Any machine shops near you so you can find out the TPI?

The Whitworth is 6tpi and the BSF is 8, your thread doesn't look course enough for that so could easily be metric. 

27 minutes ago, Eyefor said:

Hi.

Would anyone know how to identify the thread size in the picture which shows the top of an old mahogany theodolite tripod that I would like to use as a standard lamp and, rather than drilling the original (threaded) brass cap, I would like to create an adaptor in order to screw a lamp holder onto the male thread so the tripod isn't irrevocably damaged.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_5613.jpeg

I would take it and try local plumbers merchant /screwfix looks very similar to the old iron/brass fittings used on threaded pipe. 

Also try plastic waste fittings 

Edited by mellors
Extra info

18 minutes ago, Mice! said:

It could be a B.S.F or Whitworth thread if it measures 1.5, a BSP Would measure 1.882 (sorry)

Any machine shops near you so you can find out the TPI?

The Whitworth is 6tpi and the BSF is 8, your thread doesn't look course enough for that so could easily be metric. 

It's over 100 years old so not likely to me metric?

12 minutes ago, mellors said:

I would take it and try local plumbers merchant /screwfix looks very similar to the old iron/brass fittings used on threaded pipe. 

That is what I was thinking - just trying to avoid walking into screwfix, tripod under arm, and asking "can you tell me what this is please"?  🤔

1 minute ago, Rupert said:

Go to a nut and bolt place and ask for a nut to fit this.

Yes, but same issue as above with Screwfix - but may be the only option. 

15 minutes ago, Eyefor said:

It's over 100 years old so not likely to me metric

Probably a Whitworth then.

10 minutes ago, amateur said:

Alternatively, invest in some screw pitch gauges - less than £6 on the Bay

That's the way to go,  find out the tpi and thread angle,  probably 55°

10 minutes ago, amateur said:

Alternatively, invest in some screw pitch gauges - less than £6 on the Bay

Almost as long ago as this item is old, I was a toolmaker. Somewhere I have my screw pitch gauges and pocket charts. Not seen either in years!

If it is that old it could be a special thread to that company,  Many company’s did this. Attached is a chart of the various threads per inch. There is also a Brass thread that the railway used a lot and is 26 tpi.  You need to use a tpi gauge to measure, you can’t be far from me near Milton Keynes if you need it measured

image.jpg

Edited by Stimo22

1 hour ago, Eyefor said:

Almost as long ago as this item is old, I was a toolmaker. Somewhere I have my screw pitch gauges and pocket charts. Not seen either in years!

In that case, you would have the skills and knowledge to stick a rule or a pair of calipers on the thread and get an accurate count, rather than asking this bunch of randoms 🤣

29 minutes ago, amateur said:

In that case, you would have the skills and knowledge to stick a rule or a pair of calipers on the thread and get an accurate count, rather than asking this bunch of randoms 🤣

Sitting on a pile of rubble awaiting plumbers who would "definitely be here by 10am" (today), I don't have access to calipers or anything to get an accurate measure - but I do have access off my laptop to this "bunch of randoms" (bit harsh? 😉) and a tape measure of the threaded collar (close enough to 1/2") gives me more than 6 tpi for whit. 

1 minute ago, Mice! said:

His calipers are with his pitch gauges 😄😄

True. And in my reloading kit.

Edited by Eyefor

34 minutes ago, Stimo22 said:

If it is that old it could be a special thread to that company,  Many company’s did this. Attached is a chart of the various threads per inch. There is also a Brass thread that the railway used a lot and is 26 tpi.  You need to use a tpi gauge to measure, you can’t be far from me near Milton Keynes if you need it measured

image.jpg

Thanks. If I get stuck I'll let you know but I should be able to find my pitch gauges if they are where I think they are.

"same size as bsp but a parallel thread" BSPP? It also depends how old the theodolite tripod is. Pre Whitworth threads were all over the place especially in the USA.

Any engineering workshop would tell you what it is free of charge. 

I reckon I'm getting old I've got a ZEUS book that cost 2/6p

On 17/09/2023 at 14:08, wyn said:

I have a tripod here that measures about 2" by 13 tpi.   Apparently every manufacturer up to 1909 used their own threads.

20230917_132516.jpg.d8ef1bff8aa0bb05358dbd0dfd7fcc4e.jpg

I guess they could do when it was just for parts made in house, 2" by 13 tpi is definitely made up.

@Eyefor did you ever find out what the thread was?

On 17/09/2023 at 14:08, wyn said:

I have a tripod here that measures about 2" by 13 tpi.   Apparently every manufacturer up to 1909 used their own threads.

20230917_132516.jpg.d8ef1bff8aa0bb05358dbd0dfd7fcc4e.jpg

19 hours ago, Mice! said:

I guess they could do when it was just for parts made in house, 2" by 13 tpi is definitely made up.

@Eyefor did you ever find out what the thread was?

9 hours ago, Andy H said:

13 Tpi is almighty close to 2mm thread pitch , Could it be a 38 x 2mm thread .https://www.amazon.co.uk/Burkit-Metric-Threading-Machine-Thread/dp/B0B5DFN7W8

Thanks for all replies and my apologies for the delay in reply but we have been away.

Found my old thread gauge and it is 13 TPI so I might try the 38 x 2 as that might work.