Gunsmith?

SPAS 15

2 hours ago, Westley said:

If not a touch expensive   !

Possibly, but - by way of example - I bought an old English sidelock from a private seller in another part of the country. It was sent via RFD and Hopkins were who were receiving it.

It arrived, and very soon it was obvious it was not as described. It was a wreck, barely in proof, and that was not accounting for any of the numerous dents that needed to be raised to make it shootable, etc.

In the end I decided to take the seller to court, and Hopkins did a full experts appraisal and arranged for a second expert's opinion in writing from another gun maker, all for free of charge.

You might be able to buy a gun cheaper elsewhere, but for quality of work / goods, and looking after their customers, they are hard to beat.

On 22/09/2023 at 19:14, SPAS 15 said:

Hi,

Not sure if this is the correct section to put this topic in but here goes.

As anybody used a gunsmith to make unobtainable parts for an old shotgun and if so who would you recommend?

Thanks.

Depends on the part .A decent gunsmith can make any part you want but it will all come down to cost which will be based man hours .

The problem is will be this. It will take as much time, and cost as much money to make a top lever spring for a Purdey, or a Boss as it will a worn out clapped out "dog" non-ejector bought originally from a long ago disappeared pile 'em high and sell 'em cheap ironmonger. So unless you've sentimental value in most cases the cost of the work will far exceed the present day value of the gun. In the early 2000s I had a new set of extractors made for my late father's gun. They cost £350 "in the trade" so if it were not for the sentimental value the work was maybe 50% or greater of the worth of the gun when the new ejectors fitted.