Batteries

crazycooker

Slightly off topic, but did you get your hearing aid from the nhs or private, specsavers etc, i have very bad tinnitus in my left ear, but lately i have noticed for example watching you tube and blaming them for the poor sound, only to be told by my grandaughter that it was very loud lol.There is a definate loss.

If from the nhs was it a long process?

1 hour ago, Dave53 said:

I have both private and NHS hearing aids, the private ones are better but the NHS ones aren't too bad. Got them from spec savers, had an appointment hearing tested, was told my hearing wasn't good, walked out with a brand new pair, and a box of free batteries. 

Dave can I ask how much did they cost from spec savers please?

I have NHS hearing aids and they work well enough. I have just had the latest edition, to replace my old ones. These new ones can be fine tuned via an app on my mobile, not that I use it much. The best hearing aid has been a 'loop' system fitted to my TV. This was done along with a fire alarm system and was free, via my local Council.  I can  hear the TV through my hearing aid direct. I can shut the volume on the set off, but still hear it via my hearing aid.  

I got my first nhs hearing aids (free) 3 weeks ago from Specsavers.

Ask your doctors for a referral (to Specsavers) for an hearing assessment and fit if required.

i did, but first had my ears checked by my doctor and to  have them syringed due to  wax build up, which still did not cure my hearing loss and so he referred me to my choice of local audiologists in my case Specsavers.

still getting used to all the sounds I have not heard for years including all the bird songs which seem to be sat on my shoulder. 😀

I believe you must be referred by your Doctor in order to get nhs hearing aids.

9 hours ago, Dave53 said:

Hi derby duck. Hearing aids were free on NHS, not sure if it's age related or not. 

Thanks 👍

8 hours ago, Good shot? said:

I got my first nhs hearing aids (free) 3 weeks ago from Specsavers.

Ask your doctors for a referral (to Specsavers) for an hearing assessment and fit if required.

i did, but first had my ears checked by my doctor and to  have them syringed due to  wax build up, which still did not cure my hearing loss and so he referred me to my choice of local audiologists in my case Specsavers.

still getting used to all the sounds I have not heard for years including all the bird songs which seem to be sat on my shoulder. 😀

👍

On 26/09/2023 at 22:51, Good shot? said:

You are lucky if a Dr will refer you.  I had a bad wax issue (on top of long term tinnitus) and the Dr's won't do that now (always used to).  The nurse said ears needed micro suction cleaning doing badly as an ear infection was starting and I would have to go privately to somewhere like Specsavers - but the Doctor could 'refer' me - and she would ask for that.

Reply came back (without ever being seen by a Doctor) - no referrals, you need to go privately and you pay.  I did go privately (and Specsavers were actually very good) and despite two appointments, didn't actually charge.

Although my hearing isn't all that good, I can manage in all but a noisy environment - and my bigger issue is tinnitus.  It seems that hearing aids are not always much help there, and as I have always suffered from a tendency to ear infections, I'm reluctant to have a permanent 'in ear' device until I really need it.

On 02/10/2023 at 08:22, loriusgarrulus said:

I can get hearing aid batteries free at the hospital but !

By the time I have driven there and paid for parking, qued up as they have them locked up and will only give you 2 packs of 6 its cheaper to buy them in 60's off Ebay. Some sellers state expiry date in the listing.

I just go when i am at the hospital don't pay for parking usually drop the wife off for physio  and go for batteries They just ask the size and give you a handful , I have not had my hearing aid book signed for batteries for 4 years , then i go to a drop in clinic and get some there but that's where all the chav,s go to get there bits looked at and count the spots LOL . But i hardly wear my hearing aid now with the mask from covid and glasses i kept pulling it out my ear , The wife wants me to go back and try for a new smaller hearing aid