Monday tea...

harrycatcat1

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

just on the side arry...........is that a small pile of boiled leaves ontop of the food.....looks like ash tree frond ????

There was beef, mashed potatoes, Cauliflower,  carrots, beans, roasted tattie peelings and Cauliflower greens. Oh and a bit of gravy with horseradish on the beef.

20 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

There was beef, mashed potatoes, Cauliflower,  carrots, beans, roasted tattie peelings and Cauliflower greens. Oh and a bit of gravy with horseradish on the beef.

ahhhh.............it was the peelings ....waste not want not..............the 2nd world war has ended ...you do know that dont you ?

will you be having a suculent Wilton pie next week after the Luffwaffer have gone ?

9 hours ago, ditchman said:

ahhhh.............it was the peelings ....waste not want not..............the 2nd world war has ended ...you do know that dont you ?

will you be having a suculent Wilton pie next week after the Luffwaffer have gone ?

Well, I didn't have as many potatoes as I would have liked for 3 days dinner and some to roast so I thought that I'd roast the peelings as I'd never done it before and they were quite tasty 😋 😉

2 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Well, I didn't have as many potatoes as I would have liked for 3 days dinner and some to roast so I thought that I'd roast the peelings as I'd never done it before and they were quite tasty 😋 😉

I have never eaten the potato peelings , maybe I would if I was hungry which at the moment I am not , as for the peelings , How do you peel your spuds ? , we had a couple of cheap spud peelers and they pretty soon wore out where they would take more off than required , so I looked on line and ended buying a OXO peeler , this was brilliant and still is , easy to hold and only cut off a very , very thin slice , nowhere near enough for you to stick em in the oven , treat yourself to one Harry and you won't regret it :good:

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

I have never eaten the potato peelings , maybe I would if I was hungry which at the moment I am not , as for the peelings , How do you peel your spuds ? , we had a couple of cheap spud peelers and they pretty soon wore out where they would take more off than required , so I looked on line and ended buying a OXO peeler , this was brilliant and still is , easy to hold and only cut off a very , very thin slice , nowhere near enough for you to stick em in the oven , treat yourself to one Harry and you won't regret it :good:

Screenshot_20231003_110008_Nova.jpg

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

HHhhhahahhahahaha

Looks very nice, but I am in the ranks of those who have never eaten potato peelings.  I have had (and like) jacket potatoes and have had what I think they call 'skins' from probably TGI Fridays, so not against the idea.  Just never had the peelings myself.  The veggie content appeals like my thread above.

A fine home cooked meal that no one would turn their nose up at 😋

The roasted skins are a new one to me also, but I am all for making the most use of the product with as little waste as possible. 

That said when my father kept hens and fowl, the skins would be kept for them, and many a Rooster and drake Mallard was fattened and ended up in the pot for a dinner. I as a young boy, watched the whole process, from buying as chick's and ducklings to feeding, collecting eggs,and the dispatch and the plucking and cleaning to cooking the bird. Not many young people these days would be exposed to likes of that, ''unless those ivolved with country sports our in farming. It has given me a real appreciation of food.

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

Looks very nice, but I am in the ranks of those who have never eaten potato peelings.  I have had (and like) jacket potatoes and have had what I think they call 'skins' from probably TGI Fridays, so not against the idea.  Just never had the peelings myself.  The veggie content appeals like my thread above.

Even when we do baked potatoes we leave the skin alone , I say we as my dog normally finish it off , he is far more hungry than we are 😋

6 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

You know what they say "don't knock it till you've tried it" 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

It's the first time I've tried them and I was surprised how good they tasted 😋

i have bought some new dinner plates ...ive been eating off blue and white spode for 50 bloody years....so ive splashed out.....

oh and ive bought 3 seasoned cast iron skillets so i can shove them under a very hot grill...to crisp up belly pork and the like

6 hours ago, marsh man said:

Even when we do baked potatoes we leave the skin alone , I say we as my dog normally finish it off , he is far more hungry than we are 😋

The skin especially when it's done so it's crispy is the best bit. When we were kid's the spuds were the size of a brick and done for hour's in the side oven next to the coal fire , modern ovens never seem to replicate it.

I could live off jacket potatoes , but doctor says spuds are not good for my diabetes in too large a qty. so it's only occasional,now. 

Whoever decided they could be done in a microwave should be jailed .

wash skins, dry, rub salt in, oven, leave until the skin goes hard

innards scooped out, mix with salt, pepper, mayo, butter cheese. Put back in skins and place under grill