VP 90 sachets

wisdom

Following on from the cabinet heater post.I have never had any problems with damp in the cabinets,but I was wondering about the effectiveness of the VP 90 sachets.More of a preventative measure.My guns were soaked through after clay shooting in a deluge that wasn't expected.Whilst they were stripped and oiled,ejectors removed etc.Didnt remove the stocks though.

Just wondered what they were like in use.

1 minute ago, wisdom said:

Following on from the cabinet heater post.I have never had any problems with damp in the cabinets,but I was wondering about the effectiveness of the VP 90 sachets.More of a preventative measure.My guns were soaked through after clay shooting in a deluge that wasn't expected.Whilst they were stripped and oiled,ejectors removed etc.Didnt remove the stocks though.

Just wondered what they were like in use.

Never had any issues with VP90 sachets, just the cost. Expensive for what they are, hence looking for other alternatives. 

15 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

I have a VP90 Sachet in my cabinets and all guns in a silicone sock, never had the slightest hint of damp/rust.

Mine are I  socks and I too have never had any rust.

They are all coated with a light film of oil.Just like things to be belt and braces that's all.

Do you just place the sachets on the bottom of the cabinets?

18 hours ago, wisdom said:

They are all coated with a light film of oil.Just like things to be belt and braces that's all.

I use double sided tape to stick them on the inside of the door.

19 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Just keep an atmosphere of light oil within the cabinet.

What does that mean then? Spray a bit of oil on the inside cabinet walls? 🤔

19 hours ago, wisdom said:

I stick mine at the top of the door, using duct tape top and bottom to hold is secure as the tab it comes with isn’t very strong. 

If you ‘slap’ the VP90 sachet before closing the cabinet you see if fills the air with the stuff that protects the guns I think. It floats down so I think best at the top. 

On 07/10/2023 at 17:20, TK421 said:

Never had any issues with VP90 sachets, just the cost. Expensive for what they are, hence looking for other alternatives. 

And your guns are worth…how much?

£8/cabinet/year for the good stuff, seems like any alternatives aren’t worth the time you’d have to invest tracking it down or buying ingredients.

3 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

And your guns are worth…how much?

£8/cabinet/year for the good stuff, seems like any alternatives aren’t worth the time you’d have to invest tracking it down or buying ingredients.

the good stuff? No issue spending money on anything that’s worth buying. Not a big fan on throwing stuff in the bin annually when there are equally priced products that do the same and will last for years regardless of what my guns cost. Just common sense. Each to his own. 

1 hour ago, TK421 said:

Not a big fan on throwing stuff in the bin annually when there are equally priced products that do the same and will last for years regardless of what my guns cost.

I'm afraid I did rather check out of the other thread when somebody suggested a dish of salt - maybe I should see what the alternatives are, but VP90 seems to work and is designed for the job in hand, as opposed to the things people were suggesting that appear to be for keeping your clothes undamp.

38 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

I'm afraid I did rather check out of the other thread when somebody suggested a dish of salt - maybe I should see what the alternatives are, but VP90 seems to work and is designed for the job in hand, as opposed to the things people were suggesting that appear to be for keeping your clothes undamp.

No idea mate, but your comment was directed at me hence my reply. I’ve used VP90 sachets for a good few years without issue tbf, but I’ve now added a 1kg bag version from Amazon which should last ages and can be recharged in the microwave then reused so zero reoccurring costs which is nice. Also noticed the VP90’s do drop a bit of dust. Small issue but there non the less. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/10/2023 at 19:16, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Just keep an atmosphere of light oil within the cabinet.

I tried this Steve, sprayed the inside of both cabinets with Legia cleaning spray. 

My 2 new VP90 sachets came today as well… they wouldn’t stick to the oily walls 🤣🤣

On 22/10/2023 at 13:40, Lloyd90 said:

I tried this Steve, sprayed the inside of both cabinets with Legia cleaning spray. 

My 2 new VP90 sachets came today as well… they wouldn’t stick to the oily walls 🤣🤣

The sticky tabs on the sachets are not that good anyway, Lloyd. I use strong double sided tape on mine. Perhaps you could just wipe a bit of oil off the walls to enable the sachets to stick. I've used them for years and have never had issues with rust etc. My cabinets are in very dry area's though. 

soon as i get home the gun comes out of the sleve and sits on my  cleaning mat on my desk for an hour or so then it gets cleaned and oiled and back in the safe.  unless your house is inherently damp, what will put damp in the safe is putting cold guns youve had out in british weather into a  warmish safe and then locking the door.

On a driven day I will have the best gun out. 
As soon as I get back to the meeting point after the last drive the gun is cleaned quickly, inside and out and put back in it’s case for the sometimes long drive home.  
If the gun has got damp I cannot get it out of the slip fast enough.  
As soon as I arrive home, after feeding the dog, the gun is cleaned more thoroughly, oiled on mating surfaces and in the bores, and wiped all over with an oily cloth. All excess oil is wiped off before returning the gun to the cabinet. 
If shooting duck, pigeon, vermin, etc. I will have a cheaper gun out and am not usually so far from home, so the gun gets the full treatment as soon as I arrive home. 
I have never had any rust problems in over sixty years.

2 hours ago, Sweet11-87 said:

soon as i get home the gun comes out of the sleve and sits on my  cleaning mat on my desk for an hour or so then it gets cleaned and oiled and back in the safe.  unless your house is inherently damp, what will put damp in the safe is putting cold guns youve had out in british weather into a  warmish safe and then locking the door.

Very much so. :good: