PENKNIVES

DUNKS

26 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i used to wrap my knives up and take then to the PO and declare they were Horticultural pruner................of all the ones i made and gave away ...never lost one

This. Anything but what they actually were. 
Weird how you can send an air pistol and declare it as such at the PO, but the mention of knives has everyone tut tutting. 

You can't send a pen knife from the Post Office. From the Post Office Site:

"Bladed articles and bladed products as defined by the Offensive Weapons Act 2019, including but not limited to, any knife (including a folding pocket knife), any knife blade, cutlery knife, scissors with sharp edges or points and sporting equipment with a blade.

UK – can't be sent via a Post Office counter. Go to Royal Mail's website for details on how items can be sent. Prohibited from all Parcelforce Worldwide services"

You can send them via the Royal Mail. From the RM site:

Bladed items (Bladed Articles and Bladed Products as defined by Offensive Weapons Act 2019)

(Bladed Articles and Bladed Products as defined by Offensive Weapons Act 2019) including, but not limited to, any knife (including a folding pocket knife), any knife blade, cutlery knife, scissors with sharp edges or points, sporting equipment with a blade, tools with a blade, replica and antique knives including those used for re-enactment purposes, handmade and bespoke knives, cut-throat razors, open razors where the blade is exposed, any axe, any sword, and any other article which has a blade. Excludes knives prohibited under UK law - see Weapons. Note: it is the senders’ responsibility to ensure they compliant with the relevant legislation, further guidance at legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/17/contents/enacted

International  - Not allowed in the mail

UK - Allowed in the mail, with product restrictions and packaging guidelines

These items may only be sent using the Royal Mail Tracked Age Verification service (this service is only available through Royal Mail Click & Drop

Package appropriately so items present no risk to employees, other postal items or recipients.

Wrap heavy cardboard around sharp edges and points, strong enough to ensure that the contents do not pierce the outer packaging.

Wrap each item with cushioning material and place in a suitable outer container such as a padded envelope.

The sender's name and return address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.

Marked to clearly indicate a bladed item is enclosed

Earlier this year I sent an 8 inch bladed kitchen knife to a member on here over the PO counter. Wrapped really well and was asked what it was,,,, "Kitchen utensil" was my reply. Said member received it pretty quickly with no issues 🤷

I always lie as to what is in any parcels/packages I send out of principle,,,, it's not their business, IMHO 🤭

Edited by JKD

7 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

Thanks. Lathe parts comes to mind and I have sent some of these in the past!

The reason I lie to the PO staff is that they always ask "what's in it ?", [to comply with their list of items] but they never write down what I tell them. As long as my item 'could' be the item I tell them, they are none the wiser 🥳

I've sent quite a few things over the years, not once have I said exactly what the items were 🤓

40 minutes ago, JKD said:

Earlier this year I sent an 8 inch bladed kitchen knife to a member on here over the PO counter. Wrapped really well and was asked what it was,,,, "Kitchen utensil" was my reply. Said member received it pretty quickly with no issues 🤷

I always lie as to what is in any parcels/packages I send out of principle,,,, it's not their business, IMHO 🤭

Man after my own heart; none of their business. 👍

36 minutes ago, Scully said:

none of their business

In fact - because they have to be sure they are not breaking the law by delivering a bladed item to an under age person - they have to know if there is a bladed item in the package, so not unreasonably - they ask - to cover their backsides.  They always (in my experience) asked to make sure it wasn't a 'prohibited' item being sent - and now a bladed item is also something they need to know about as it affects what checks they have to make on delivery (and how they charge).  From what is said above - it seems you can send bladed items IF you use the Royal Mail Tracked Age Verification service (see @windswept post above).  I have (in the past) posted bladed items (Leatherman tool) for warranty repair, but that will also be affected.

When sending the last bottle opener to someone on PW, I was asked at the post office counter what was in the parcel.

“Hockey Stick” I replied.

The guy behind the counter didn’t bat an eyelid and continued with the transaction!!

Does make you wonder why they ask.

OB

10 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

In fact - because they have to be sure they are not breaking the law by delivering a bladed item to an under age person - they have to know if there is a bladed item in the package, so not unreasonably - they ask - to cover their backsides.  They always (in my experience) asked to make sure it wasn't a 'prohibited' item being sent - and now a bladed item is also something they need to know about as it affects what checks they have to make on delivery (and how they charge).  From what is said above - it seems you can send bladed items IF you use the Royal Mail Tracked Age Verification service (see @windswept post above).  I have (in the past) posted bladed items (Leatherman tool) for warranty repair, but that will also be affected.

I’m aware of why they ask; they’re just doing their job; I simply prefer not to tell them if I think they won’t send it as a result. 
The only reason I told them about the air pistol is because I checked beforehand; the cashier asked ME if they were allowed to send air pistols! I’m assuming she checked for herself before she sent it. 
We really do have some skewed legislation in the UK. 

10 minutes ago, Scully said:

I’m aware of why they ask; they’re just doing their job

Agreed - and the legislation means that if they didn't ask, they would have no way of knowing if they were (unknowingly) transporting and delivering prohibited items.  Ignorance is not a sound defence especially if you didn't even ask!

13 minutes ago, Scully said:

We really do have some skewed legislation in the UK.

Indeed we do - as compiled by civil servants advised by lawyers, and reviewed and signed off by politicians (many of whom are/were also lawyers).  It makes lawyers a very nice living when vague and unclear laws are continuously needing 'test cases'.