Kof zenith

Bradvinnie17

Hi everyone new to the forum and new to the shotgun world! 😁 Looking for my first gun I see you can get really good deals on 2nd hand ones but I am fancying something new with warranty to get me going. I have come across a kof zenith what are they like? Anyone had any experience with them? Help would very much be appreciated 

You’ll get answers from people who have had problems and don’t like them - equally problem free use and thumbs up. When I was choosing a youth 410 it was basically Kofs or Yildiz. I looked at both types being used and abused at shooting schools. Long story short - I bought the Yildiz. A few shekels more but worth it. As per other recent thread, they need a deep clean (action and all) from time to time. If looked after they seem to perform well. On a completely separate note, you might also wish to consider a used Lanber, Lincoln, Bettinsoli or similar. These tend to be affordable/reliable and simple to repair if parts wear out. Good luck and welcome to the world of shotgunning. 

26 minutes ago, Fellside said:

You’ll get answers from people who have had problems and don’t like them - equally problem free use and thumbs up. When I was choosing a youth 410 it was basically Kofs or Yildiz. I looked at both types being used and abused at shooting schools. Long story short - I bought the Yildiz. A few shekels more but worth it. As per other recent thread, they need a deep clean (action and all) from time to time. If looked after they seem to perform well. On a completely separate note, you might also wish to consider a used Lanber, Lincoln, Bettinsoli or similar. These tend to be affordable/reliable and simple to repair if parts wear out. Good luck and welcome to the world of shotgunning. 

I do like the look of the kofs but if they are not that good there's no point, Ive looked at the used ones above too, I just thought I'd like something new with warranty don't really want to spend more than £600 to get started 

Edited by Bradvinnie17

14 minutes ago, Bradvinnie17 said:

I do like the look of the kofs but if they are not that good there's no point, Ive looked at the used ones above too, I just thought I'd like something new with warranty don't really want to spend more than £600 to get started 

For that budget you’ll easily get started. Most experienced folk would usually recommend a better quality second hand gun. Speak to a few trusted gun smiths (who have seen it all) - as distinct from out and out gun sellers. At £600 you’re almost in to second hand Miroku territory. They have an excellent reputation. Plenty around. As you’re likely to move on to other guns in the future - a good resale value is also important. 

5 minutes ago, Fellside said:

For that budget you’ll easily get started. Most experienced folk would usually recommend a better quality second hand gun. Speak to a few trusted gun smiths (who have seen it all) - as distinct from out and out gun sellers. At £600 you’re almost in to second hand Miroku territory. They have an excellent reputation. Plenty around. As you’re likely to move on to other guns in the future - a good resale value is also important. 

I been looking at mirokus seen a nice Beretta for 950 was mint, but don't want to spend that much, il keep looking around I held a miroku mk60 I believe it was felt abit bulky compared to the Beretta, I'm still waiting on my licence I'm in South Wales and there's a hell of a back log at the minute so plenty of time to save up and search for the right one 

38 minutes ago, Bradvinnie17 said:

I been looking at mirokus seen a nice Beretta for 950 was mint, but don't want to spend that much, il keep looking around I held a miroku mk60 I believe it was felt abit bulky compared to the Beretta, I'm still waiting on my licence I'm in South Wales and there's a hell of a back log at the minute so plenty of time to save up and search for the right one 

Yes - the dreaded backlogs….!! Great to be contemplating your first shotgun though. Exciting times. You could always get some lessons in the mean time and try a few different coaching guns. 

I’d try as many guns as possible before settling on any one make or model. 
As much as you may want a new gun with warranty, if you bought a quality second hand gun with a proven track record, not only would you not need a warranty it would also hold its value ( resale value ) and desirability much much better than your Kofs or Yildiz. 
The shops are full of very good quality Brownings, Berettas, Miroku and Winchesters. 

I bought a Kofs .410 for the grandkids "two girls" to have a play with. Whilst obviously not being in the Browning Beretta class the gun works well, no problems yet and seems reasonably well made. Resale value is poor but so is it with most guns just recently. unless to pay a lot of money.

1 hour ago, Mr.C said:

Buy something cheap. 

After a year you'll have a repeatable gun mount. You can then, if you're still keen, buy something that might fit you. 

I'm still unsure if I should buy something new or a good 2nd hand but got plenty of time to think there's around a 18 month backlog in my area 

I have a kofs .410  .I really like it I take it to the clay ground over the 12 or 20 as its more fun to shoot .been very reliable so far and my boy shoots it well also .

I dont know how they are in 12b .though your looking at the steel action  zenith not the alloy sceptre  which I would not recommend  in 12 b as it would be too light weight .

It don't matter much if new or second hand, get what you fancy within your budget as long as it fits. If it don't fit you'll waste not only the money but also the time using it and it will lead to frustration. 

The shops are rammed with choice at the minute. If it were me chosing id looking at the second hand market first as you'd have more options. 

Very little wrong with the Turkish guns and if its your first gun you wont know any different, trigger pulls a little bit heavy/agricultural, residuals is not relevant, they dont cost much to start with, you wont lose a lot. My 2 boys put several thousand through a KOFs with no issues, its still in the cabinet awaiting grandchildren in a few years time.

Turkish guns are cheap for a reason in my experience. They look nice, but it's the little things that add up that aren't done right. 

My beretta 682 is older than I am, with many thousands of rounds through it, but you'd never know that from the internals.

In contrast, I bought a new yildiz that I put ~2-3k rounds through and the hammers started peening over and one of the firing pin started to develop pitting. Either issue would have led to problems in the near future had I not sold it on. 

Save yourself the hassle of selling the Turkish gun which you inevitably will and go straight to a second hand gun from a reputable maker. 

2 minutes ago, Bradvinnie17 said:

I have got a mate, but when I sent for licence I submitted my criminal record which had 2 things on there when I was 15&16 so I am abit concerned if I did buy my ticket might not come through and then I've wasted money 

Fair enough, but I doubt they’ll even show up on record. 
I wouldn’t worry too much, there are loads of firearms owners out there with criminal records. Nothing too serious obviously, but criminal convictions nonetheless. 

4 minutes ago, Scully said:

Fair enough, but I doubt they’ll even show up on record. 
I wouldn’t worry too much, there are loads of firearms owners out there with criminal records. Nothing too serious obviously, but criminal convictions nonetheless. 

It was criminal damage with a formal telling off (reprimanded) and suspicion of burglary NFA, I applied to get my record to.get it done properly, it was 15 years ago now silly kid but I suppose me all have been 😂

9 hours ago, Bradvinnie17 said:

It was criminal damage with a formal telling off (reprimanded) and suspicion of burglary NFA, I applied to get my record to.get it done properly, it was 15 years ago now silly kid but I suppose me all have been 😂

It won’t even be mentioned. 👍