The Family Heirloom

Grandalf

We don't have one but I have just given to my son the closest thing that we have to one - My 'Old Faithfull' game gun.

43 years ago I was just a fowler.   I did a little game shooting but nothing much.   Then we moved to North Suffolk and I really got the bug.

Trouble was I only had fowling pieces - In those days 3" magnums were all the rage but I only had a 2 3/4" AYA Matadore.   Lovely gun but heavy.   I had thought about an over and under for a long while but hadn't taken take the plunge.   Money was tight and we had just purchased a new property.

Christmas came and the Memsahib gave me a book on gamekeeping - Something else that I was getting involved in.   I thanked her and said that I would read it later.   She said "Look at it now".   So I did and found £50 just inside the front cover.   I thanked her profusely and said that I would have to think of something that I really needed.   She said "Look at the book now"!   I said that I had.   She said "Then look again and do a good job of it this time".

I studied the book and found that there was £1000 stuffed between the pages and a note saying that it was to buy a new game gun!

She'd cashed in a policy that I didn't know she had, we had only got married that same year, and half of the proceeds were mine.   In 1980, for us, this was a small fortune.

I went to the local gunshop in the new year.   I found a nearly new Miroku that was perfect but didn't fit.   The gunsmith tailored it to me and opened the chokes slightly.   Over the years it became known as "Old Faithfull".  (And I got a bundle of change).

I had never shot game with anything else since that day untill I lost half the sight in my right eye a few years ago and had to start teaching myself to shoot left handed with a semi-auto.

My eldest son came to visit last week.   He took my place at the local shoot and borrowed "Old Faithfull".

He shot two to one pheasants in a near hurricane so the next morning I gave the gun to him.

John has just retired, which makes me feel really old, and has more time on his hands and is a member of two local shoots way over on the Welsh border so "Old Faithfull" will not be left in a cabinet gathering dust and rust.

I am glad about that.

I had some super days with her when I was in my prime, I'm nearly 85 now.   I also had some abysmal days when I nearly threw her in the pond but never actually did.   It was never her fault.

Now I just have my rifles and a Hatsan for fowling.

And a lot of memories of course...

Edited by Grandalf
typo

2 hours ago, Grandalf said:

We don't have one but I have just given to my son the closest thing that we have to one - My 'Old Faithfull' game gun.

43 years ago I was just a fowler.   I did a little game shooting but nothing much.   Then we moved to North Suffolk and I really got the bug.

Trouble was I only had fowling pieces - In those days 3" magnums were all the rage but I only had a 2 3/4" AYA Matadore.   Lovely gun but heavy.   I had thought about an over and under for a long while but hadn't taken take the plunge.   Money was tight and we had just purchased a new property.

Christmas came and the Memsahib gave me a book on gamekeeping - Something else that I was getting involved in.   I thanked her and said that I would read it later.   She said "Look at it now".   So I did and found £50 just inside the front cover.   I thanked her profusely and said that I would have to think of something that I really needed.   She said "Look at the book now"!   I said that I had.   She said "Then look again and do a good job of it this time".

I studied the book and found that there was £1000 stuffed between the pages and a note saying that it was to buy a new game gun!

She'd cashed in a policy that I didn't know she had, we had only got married that same year, and half of the proceeds were mine.   In 1980, for us, this was a small fortune.

I went to the local gunshop in the new year.   I found a nearly new Miroku that was perfect but didn't fit.   The gunsmith tailored it to me and opened the chokes slightly.   Over the years it became known as "Old Faithfull".

I had never shot game with anything else since that day untill I lost half the sight in my right eye a few years ago and had to start teaching myself to shoot left handed with a semi-auto.

My eldest son came to visit last week.   He took my place at the local shoot and borrowed "Old Faithfull".

He shot two to one pheasants in a near hurricane so the next morning I gave the gun to him.

John has just retired, which makes me feel really old, and has more time on his hands and is a member of two local shoots way over on the Welsh border so "Old Faithfull" will not be left in a cabinet gathering dust and rust.

I am glad about that.

I had some super days with her when I was in my prime, I'm nearly 85 now.   I allso had some abysmal days when I nearly threw her in the pond but never actually did.   It was never her fault.

Now I just have my rifles and a Hatsan for fowling.

And a lot of memories of course...

Very nice read Grandalf , I am afraid I never got into game shooting till later on in life , we had never seen a Pheasant until we went beating on our local estate in the late 60s, just seeing the birds going over the guns were amazing and in those early days I never dreamt that one day I would be standing on the same places where those guns were standing , I was never in the position to spend a lot of money on a decent gun in those far off days , then as time wore on and the mortgage was paid off, I started to have a few bob in my pocket after doing a few building jobs after tea and at weekends , I was doing a job once when a bloke I knew came and see me who was getting married  and asked if I was interested in a gun , I asked him what sort and how much , so he went and got it and when he took it out of the sleeve it was a lovely English side lock ejector in very nice condition , I kept calm and said how much , I am looking for £300 , I will take it to Richardson's gun shop and if it is sound I will have it , sound it was and at a later date I ended up , or the brothers did  sending it to Birmingham to be re proofed , it passed with flying colours and I have still got it , the difference between me and you is I have only got one daughter and two grand daughters so it wouldn't be passed over to them , my shooting days are drawing to a close so one day I hope it will be going to someone who will enjoy it as much as your son will enjoy ole faithful .

This was made near you by , or made for Norman , Framlingham , Suffolk .

SAM-5063.jpg

Edited by marsh man

I have the family heirloom of a side lock hammerless non ejector by Clabrough and Johnstone,Birmingham,half pistol grip,30” barrels,and true cylinder/ 3/4 choke. Believed to be from around 1895,and black powder proof,(BV,BP).My grandfather got it from another family member in about 1930,later my Dad had it,I started using it in 1972,despite not thought to be nitro,and shot it until about 2000.Now the top rib has become loose so it’s finally retired.

Thank you for sharing that and I hope that in another sixty years it'll still be going strong and make its "century". I have no doubt that being a quality make, Miroku, that if looked after that it will. 

Every heirloom "family gun" starts as new once upon a time and I think an over and under is a good choice today. Better than a side by side. Here's my heirloom "family gun". Bought new, with its case, for my father on his twelfth birthday in 1919 from Henry Clarke of Leicester.

I had it restocked for me, stock and forend, some two decades ago and as it is now seen in its case.

I shot three pheasants with it but just three weeks ago. One, a hen "going back" flicking out the side of the wood I am standing in just shortly after the picture below was taken.

HC.jpg

Wysall.jpg

Edited by enfieldspares

15 hours ago, marsh man said:

Very nice read Grandalf , I am afraid I never got into game shooting till later on in life , we had never seen a Pheasant until we went beating on our local estate in the late 60s, just seeing the birds going over the guns were amazing and in those early days I never dreamt that one day I would be standing on the same places where those guns were standing , I was never in the position to spend a lot of money on a decent gun in those far off days , then as time wore on and the mortgage was paid off, I started to have a few bob in my pocket after doing a few building jobs after tea and at weekends , I was doing a job once when a bloke I knew came and see me who was getting married  and asked if I was interested in a gun , I asked him what sort and how much , so he went and got it and when he took it out of the sleeve it was a lovely English side lock ejector in very nice condition , I kept calm and said how much , I am looking for £300 , I will take it to Richardson's gun shop and if it is sound I will have it , sound it was and at a later date I ended up , or the brothers did  sending it to Birmingham to be re proofed , it passed with flying colours and I have still got it , the difference between me and you is I have only got one daughter and two grand daughters so it wouldn't be passed over to them , my shooting days are drawing to a close so one day I hope it will be going to someone who will enjoy it as much as your son will enjoy ole faithful .

SAM-5063.jpg

Very, very nice, John.

21 hours ago, marsh man said:

SAM-5063.jpg

Marsh Man, very nice.   My Miroku also came from Richardson's, well there was nowhere else to go in those days.   Now I use Jason down in Fram and he did his apprentiship with them.   Sorry you don't have anyone to hand it down to.   I have two sons but only one shoots.   However, I have three grandsons and a grand daughter who have all dabled with shooting and two of them are in the military.   Then I have a great grandson who has just turned 16 so there is no shortage of 'good homes' for my cast offs!

Thank you for the comments Gentlemen.   Dougy, John is the one that you met at the Stalking Show.   He has just retired from BMW.   Makes me feel very old.    Happy Christmas to all of you.

A lovely story and a lucky man to receive such a lovely present.

When I was 14 I was given a Charles Lancaster side by side with lovely 30" Damascus barrels. This gun belonged to a old friend of my father who was in the early stages of dementia. He had to get rid of his guns for safety and my dad got the Lancaster.  I used to put all sorts through it. Alphamax etc etc. Only years later did I realise it only had 2.5 " Chambers. 

For my 21st Dad got the gun done up. Barrels rebrowmed, a few springs fixed and I did the same again a few years ago when I found the rib had become raised and an ejector spring had broken. 

I am now 47, use the gun all the time when game shooting although the open chokes are probably not the greatest for the odd few driven days I get every year but for my usual snipe and woodcock shooting she is perfect. I only use 2.5" shells and look after her as well as I can. I think she was made in 1882 but not sure why I have that date in my head. I have managed 9 right and lefts at woodcock with her and honestly feel like she is part of me when I raise her. That's not to say I still don't miss plenty with her but I love her history and the fact she was a gift to my dad from his dear friend. Dad always says if there is a heaven the original owner would be looking down with pride to see the old girl still in active service.

My only problem is that I have two sons who both enjoy shooting so not sure where it will end up when I die. 

On 12/12/2023 at 21:07, marsh man said:

SAM-5063.jpg

I don’t mind being your son if you’ll have me? 😁

3 hours ago, Grandalf said:

Marsh Man, very nice.   My Miroku also came from Richardson's, well there was nowhere else to go in those days.   Now I use Jason down in Fram and he did his apprentiship with them.   Sorry you don't have anyone to hand it down to.   I have two sons but only one shoots.   However, I have three grandsons and a grand daughter who have all dabled with shooting and two of them are in the military.   Then I have a great grandson who has just turned 16 so there is no shortage of 'good homes' for my cast offs!

Thank you for the comments Gentlemen.   Dougy, John is the one that you met at the Stalking Show.   He has just retired from BMW.   Makes me feel very old.    Happy Christmas to all of you.

Heart warming thread and nice to find some of the past history on some of the guns mentioned , I very much doubt there is a person alive who had a hand in making the gun I own and there is just something about the craftmanship in these English guns , this is not to say that there are some very nice continental guns with very good pedigrees .

A very good Christmas to you and all your family .

52 minutes ago, moondoggy said:

I don’t mind being your son if you’ll have me? 😁

I 'll have you , I could do with a full time carer :drinks: