17 HMR Scope

shawn9914

I actually really like the airmax scopes they tend to be excellent optically .32x  will be a big scope could make the gun a bit top heavy. Depends on your gun really  and how you shoot?  if off a bi pod probably not an issue  personally I think 16 x would be enough mag for a 17.  Or 24x if you fancy pushing out beyond  150 yds .the 32 x will certainly  give you some useful  aim points for bullet drop out to 300 yds if thats your thing .? 

My 24x  airmax  is mrad  I find it good for dialing in the shot for long range seems to work well .  

I'm not sure many 17 hmr s are used sub 20 yds . That's where I see 4x mag as useful.  3x for around 10 - 15 yds .

6 x for around 30 yds  9x up to around 50 yds max  and 12x for up to maybe 80 yds  I like 16 x for 100 yds  and more mag maybe 24 x for anything above 130 yds .

That's me and my opinion  I know some people feel 4x if perfect for shooting out to 500 yds .and it probably is if your shooting at the side of barns but for rabbits /crows  rats etc(hmr quarry) a bit more precision  is required  I feel .and the above will serve you well .

This is one of those threads where everyone is right. This because scope mag' is a personal preference/setting. Set a target up of the size that you will be shooting at what you figure will be your maximum range and scrounge a gun mounted scope which has plenty of mag and have a peep adjusting the mag to the lowest level at which you would feel confident in pulling the trigger.

Sorted.

But Dave-G has a point above.