RFD - RFD transfer

steve_b_wales

I bought a gun recently and the selling gunshop charged £30 to send it and my RFD charged £25 to receive it and enter it onto his register so that I didn`t have to send my SGC to the seller. I was quite happy with that.

OB

9 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

One of my local RFD's quoted a price of £45:00 to do a transfer of a shotgun. Not sure if this is a good price? 

The carriage is £25 to £30 so he is charging you a nominal amount for packing and arranging shipping, they are not a charity!  I use two RFD's and they both charge £50 which I have never even thought to question given the savings on time and fuel costs.

2 hours ago, London Best said:

Apart from whatever it costs for an RFD transfer, who in their right mind would buy a secondhand gun, unseen, from the other end of the country, from a complete stranger? Personally, I wouldn’t entertain the idea.

It depends on if the seller has a good reputation, for example, I have bought shotguns off wabbitbosher on here. It does boil down to trust in the end. I purchased a 'mint condition' scope off a PW member (you know who you are!) but received a non working scratched one. The photo's shown were the 'good side' of the scope. 99.9% of the other members are honest, like myself.

Edited by steve_b_wales

I was quoted £50 for RFD transfer. So we’ve established that the cost (so far) ranges from £25 to £50 with £37.50 being in the middle. I would say that £45 isn’t hugely over the top….. and greatly cheaper than burning time and fuel on the road. There’s my two penneth ….. if it’s any use. 

My post wasn't a complaint at what was being charged, it was to find out if the price was good/reasonable and to get an idea what other RFD's are charging. I have a RFD friend who, because of various circumstances, does not send firearms RFD-RFD, but he can and will accept them. He have never charged me for any of the firearms he's received for me, but I have always made sure that I pay him for a 'few pints' if nothing else.

Edited by steve_b_wales