Gamebore White Gold 28gm 7.5 Fibre Quad Seal

I recently bought some Gamebore White Gold 28gm 7.5 Fibre Quad Seal hoping for decent results from a relatively premium cartridge. These were quite expensive compared to the Fiocchi FBlack Sporting 8.5s Fibre I usually use. I opened one up the other night to have a look at the quad seal. The first thing I noticed was the shot was meant to be 5x graded… It contained shot from 2.2mm to 3.0mm - not very uniform and noticeably all over the place. In fact, some pellets weren’t even round. Secondly, the quad seal was rock hard. I have no idea how it was expected to seal a barrel? I expected it to be more like nylon in feel allowing for expansion. I know these came from a supplier who has stored them properly, as I collected them from a sound environment.

The last thing I noticed, is they are very ‘thumpy’, in fact overly for their use. They haven’t shot well either compared to the Fiocchi. Has anyone else experienced this? I generally steer wide of Gamebore game cartridges as I have had similar experiences in the past. A considerably expensive letdown.

Not the first time they've not graded their shot properly, however, Gamebore have been known to replace cartridges where the shot quality is below par, so it might he worth contacting them.

Regarding the quad seal - I wouldn't be too concerned about it, the forces applied from the gas pressure are massive and it will almost certainly deform under firing.

I can't recall whether white gold used to include the Gordon recoil system, but it certainly won't now as B&P have retracted their permission to use it now that they've entered the UK market directly. This may be why the recoil was more than you had expected?

I think Fiocchi shells are the best on the market for the price - the Fblu and Fblack lines use genuine 5% antimony lead shot so it's nice and hard, but cost significantly less than other similar offerings, they also burn cleanly and leave little residue down the barrel. I'd have stuck with them 😅

I just cut another White Gold open. Here are the results - Remember, a 7 1/2 should be 2.3mm according to Gamebore. 

Red box = Obviously huge shot by the Mk1 eyeball. On measurement ranged between 3.31mm - 3.01mm. So Shot size 3-4. 

Green = 2.44mm 

Orange = Egg shaped shot. Again, a quick scan by the Mk1 eyeball.

Pretty poor. I cut open a Eley Select and they were uniform, round and £50 cheaper/1000… Though, I don’t like them.

11.png

22.png

Seems like the shot is graded to remove the useful and valuable smaller shot sizes and the standard 7.5 gets whatever is left over.

I opened up a Fiocchi TT1 a little while back and what should have been a 28g 8 shot had anything from 8's to 3's in it just like your white gold cartridge. Though the TT1 is a bargain basement cartridge so I wasn't expecting perfection.

Didn't Gamebore change the white gold to the rose gold shortly after dropping the Gordon recoil system? Perhaps you had a late batch with any old trash thrown in. Unacceptable either way.

Also potentially dangerous for clay grounds that have fallout areas designed for a maximum of 7.5 shot as the 3 shot could potentially travel beyond this and out of the bounds of the clay ground.

4 minutes ago, Poor Shot said:

Seems like the shot is graded to remove the useful and valuable smaller shot sizes and the standard 7.5 gets whatever is left over.

I opened up a Fiocchi TT1 a little while back and what should have been a 28g 8 shot had anything from 8's to 3's in it just like your white gold cartridge. Though the TT1 is a bargain basement cartridge so I wasn't expecting perfection.

Didn't Gamebore change the white gold to the rose gold shortly after dropping the Gordon recoil system? Perhaps you had a late batch with any old trash thrown in. Unacceptable either way.

Also potentially dangerous for clay grounds that have fallout areas designed for a maximum of 7.5 shot as the 3 shot could potentially travel beyond this and out of the bounds of the clay ground.

The Whitegold is still advertised as a current premium shell with the new quad seal. It’s supposed to be 5x graded. I suspect all 5 of their sieves are damaged or out of tolerance as there is absolutely no way this has been graded.

I suspect they would still break clays, im just more disappointed in the non-existent quality control. You buy a product hoping for a service. 

Think i would be contacting gamebore, they claim white gold are loaded with Diamond Shot and hence graded five times that looks like normal graphite coated shot, not diamond shot.  Seriously brings into question what they are selling possibly breaking sales of goods law.

IMG_3415.jpeg

Edited by rbrowning2

Well I have been shooting Gamebore amongst others for many years now and it seems to happen to all makes.

Nowadays, I shoot the cheapest shells I can get, still maintaining my average.

Latest batch is short Hull Comp X They will kill every clay I shoot at when I do my bit right and they can be bought extremely cheaply.

8 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well I have been shooting Gamebore amongst others for many years now and it seems to happen to all makes.

Nowadays, I shoot the cheapest shells I can get, still maintaining my average.

Latest batch is short Hull Comp X They will kill every clay I shoot at when I do my bit right and they can be bought extremely cheaply.

Im generally the same, within reason. I have not ever personally liked CompX, I would much rather shoot the equally priced 27gm Superfast. 

Re the TT1 cart’ mentioned above, I have been informed that these have been sieved/sorted only once, hence the number 1 being used. The Italians tend to be really honest about their budget cart’s. However, when you buy a premium cart’ (per White Gold) you should expect quality graded shot. Just return them - as they just don’t live up to their product claims. 

P.S I use Fiocchi FBlues a lot these days - great cart’.

In fairness, the Eley Selects were round and uniform and pretty much a budget case. So, if they can manage it, the premium guys should have zero excuses?

1 minute ago, Fargo said:

This is why if I shoot clays I now buy the cheapest budget stuff as seen so many premium loads where you’re paying just for pretty cases and boxes.

3 hours ago, Cawdor118 said:

The problem is, where I got them from won't want 249 cartridges back 🤦‍♂️

I have emailed Gamebore, I will wait and see what they say. 

Yes you’re right - they won’t. I had presumed you’d bought a thousand. I’ve been in your situation before re discovering disappointing cart’s - and returned nearly 1,000. Long story, but they used a bad batch of powder - blooped and fizzed. They weren’t Gamebore. The ‘Italian jobs’ are great (Fiocchi FBlue) as mentioned. 

On 31/12/2023 at 20:16, Cawdor118 said:

Im generally the same, within reason. I have not ever personally liked CompX, I would much rather shoot the equally priced 27gm Superfast. 

You say that, but you could do a lot worse than CompX - I cut open a shell of CompX and the shot was remarkably consistent, far more consistent than a Lyalvale Power Blue. CompX aren't particularly fast, but they don't need to be; they're cheap (relatively speaking), very soft on the shoulder, and pattern very nicely. For 90-95% of clays, they'll do just fine. 

I will happily admit to thoroughly enjoying shooting an old Beretta with the cheapest cartridges I can find and putting good scores in against the shooters with very expensive guns and very expensive cartridges. Really makes my day.   :cool1:

6 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I will happily admit to thoroughly enjoying shooting an old Beretta with the cheapest cartridges I can find and putting good scores in against the shooters with very expensive guns and very expensive cartridges. Really makes my day.   

As always, it’s down to the nut behind the butt.

2 hours ago, Scully said:

Their Pigeon Select is fabulous through 3/8th choke. 

Couldn't agree more, have been using the HV 32g lately only because JC had run out of Pigeon Select, also a very fine cartridge too. Changed from Clear Pigeon years ago when they changed from clear cases to black, that for me is when Gamebore's game cartridge's quality dropped. Saying that the Blue Diamond and EVO clay cartridges where very good