Sellier & Bellot,

My late father used nothing else but S & B Mark II a paper case with a true felt wad (brown felt) and 1 1/8 ounce of #5. Even though he could have afforded any cartridge he could then have chosen from. Never a load, 1 1/8 ounce of #5, I'd ever thought of using oddly enough. I always used for near thirty five years only ever 1 1/16 ounce of #6. Until last week when I used some Lyalvale Supreme Game with that same shot load and weight. I'd an odd box for a hard day that never came about. Shot six pheasant, gun improved and improved in both barrels and every one bar one was dead in the air, curled back, dead right there. So maybe there's something to it?

Edited by enfieldspares

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/01/2024 at 17:12, enfieldspares said:

My late father used nothing else but S & B Mark II a paper case with a true felt wad (brown felt) and 1 1/8 ounce of #5. Even though he could have afforded any cartridge he could then have chosen from. Never a load, 1 1/8 ounce of #5, I'd ever thought of using oddly enough. I always used for near thirty five years only ever 1 1/16 ounce of #6. Until last week when I used some Lyalvale Supreme Game with that same shot load and weight. I'd an odd box for a hard day that never came about. Shot six pheasant, gun improved and improved in both barrels and every one bar one was dead in the air, curled back, dead right there. So maybe there's something to it?

I think there might be...  When I was a callow youth in the mid-seventies, only into airguns, I met an old boy flight shooting pigeons in the wood we used to hang around in.  He used to travel by bus with his gun and gear and it was he who probably helped cement my interest in shooting.  He was using cartridges I think called Hawk (not Eley ones) in 1 1/8oz #5's and they certainly did the business on the pigeons.

Ever since that day that load with fibre wads has been 'special' to me & has been my favourite 12b load.  It has proven to be especially effective on crows through my IC choked Remington 1100.

Hi. I was gifted "Almost" a huge tub of SXB plastic 12g cartridges all of which had been sawn in half just below the plastic wad. I cut the crimp off to reclaim the lead shot. "7s" took me a while but ended up with 14 kilo of shot. Seems a mystery why they were cut. They were old.

On 13/01/2024 at 17:12, enfieldspares said:

I used 100s of the S + B at the same time we were using the ole Baikal cartridges for the simple fact they were both the same price , did they ever do them in boxes of 25 ? as all the ones we ever bought were in a flat pack of 10 , and then 10 packs of 10 in in a plastic bag that contained a 100 . they might well do boxes of 25 now but did they do them at the time when they first came to the UK ?    MM

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

I used 100s of the S + B at the same time we were using the ole Baikal cartridges for the simple fact they were both the same price , did they ever do them in boxes of 25 ? as all the ones we ever bought were in a flat pack of 10 , and then 10 packs of 10 in in a plastic bag that contained a 100 . they might well do boxes of 25 now but did they do them at the time when they first came to the UK ?    MM

I could never get on very well with S&B shotgun cartridges, but in the 1970’s used thousands of Baikal, bought by the thousand in a wooden crate, about half the price of Eley’s. 
Oddly enough, I was invited out rough shooting only yesterday. Not expecting many shots, I raided my bits and bobs box and took all my old assorted cartridges. These included a 10 box of Baikal No7’s, 32 gram loads. I have no idea where they came from as I haven’t bought any for well over 40 years. Paper case, rolled turnover. There were 9 left in the box.. I used these first and they just lasted me the day as I had only eight shots. The 40 year old Baikals produced 6 pheasants. Just as effective as they always were.

Were 

31 minutes ago, London Best said:

I could never get on very well with S&B shotgun cartridges, but in the 1970’s used thousands of Baikal, bought by the thousand in a wooden crate, about half the price of Eley’s. 
Oddly enough, I was invited out rough shooting only yesterday. Not expecting many shots, I raided my bits and bobs box and took all my old assorted cartridges. These included a 10 box of Baikal No7’s, 32 gram loads. I have no idea where they came from as I haven’t bought any for well over 40 years. Paper case, rolled turnover. There were 9 left in the box.. I used these first and they just lasted me the day as I had only eight shots. The 40 year old Baikals produced 6 pheasants. Just as effective as they always were.

Were your Baikal's in a Green small square box that had a dog between  cross guns on the front of the box ? , I have seen two different flat boxes of ten Baikal cartridges and a Red square box of ten , but the very early ones I bought off a bloke where I used to live were 5 shillings for 10 and in a Green box , possibly 1964 / 65????? 

I have got about 20 loose ones that are Black cases that were kindly given to me by fellow member Old Boggy which will shortly be used when roost shooting  , a very generous bloke .    MM

Edited by marsh man

Just now, marsh man said:

Were 

Were your Baikal's in a Green small square box that had a dog between  cross guns on the front of the box ? , I have seen two different flat boxes of ten Baikal cartridges and a Red square box of ten , but the very early ones I bought off a bloke where I used to live were 5 shillings for 10 and in a Green box ????? 

I have got about 20 loose ones that are Black cases that were kindly given to me by fellow member Old Boggy which will shortly be used when roost shooting  , a very generous bloke .    MM

It was certainly a green box but I can’t offhand remember the logo printed on it. I still have the box up in the loft and will check for you tomorrow. The cartridges were red ones.

12 hours ago, marsh man said:

Were 

Were your Baikal's in a Green small square box that had a dog between  cross guns on the front of the box ? , I have seen two different flat boxes of ten Baikal cartridges and a Red square box of ten , but the very early ones I bought off a bloke where I used to live were 5 shillings for 10 and in a Green box , possibly 1964 / 65 MM

There you go.66BE20F9-B995-41BB-A9C3-E99032F948F4.jpeg.4dbc44e52e2138c22ef21ae091a5d08b.jpeg4E312653-73C1-48E3-B876-3D148D0271BC.jpeg.12ab629e07f577ee4281aa7ee4ce7646.jpegC8EC022A-7CE2-49DA-9B90-A0581A6516F4.jpeg.49289010b421ece496031e022e238b11.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...